Menu

Need Tried and True Breakfast Casserole

Our church is having Bible quizzing Friday night and Saturday. We are having 3 teen girls spend the night Friday at our house, we need to serve them breakfast, and then we have to leave the house by 8:30 a.m. to go back to the church.

I need a breakfast casserole that will serve 2 adults and 5 kids. I think this would be the easiest thing to fix, but the only one I've every tried I doubled the recipe and it took for ever to cook through. I need something I know will be done by 8 a.m. the very latest.

Do you have a tried and true recipe? I have ham, eggs and green onions. I can make a grocery run if I need to.

Thank you!

This is a fav of mine, and is easy to make (though we always had it for dinner :tongue_smilie:):

Ham and rice casserole

3 slightly beaten eggs

1/4 c milk

1/4 c chopped onion (1 T minced)

1/8 t pepper

1.5 c cooked rice

1.5 c cooked ham, cut into ~0.5" squares

4 oz grated cheddar cheese

1. Preheat 350F. Spray 6x10 glass pan (or 8x8) with Pam .

2. Crack eggs in a bowl and beat with fork a few times.

3. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.

4. Pour in pan and bake 45-50min

Makes 6 med servings

You'd probably want to double the recipe, which I've done before - a 9x13 pan works great for a double batch.

HTH

I have 3 things that I like to make for this sort of thing. The first two I'm linking to the closest things I found to my recipes.

1. Ham and cheese omelet roll

2. Baked Cheese Grits

3. Breakfast Pizza-I roll out crescent rolls on a pizza stone and bake at 350 for about 5 minutes. I then remove it, crank the oven up to 400 and spread leftover mashed potatoes over the crust. Sprinkle with cooked sausage, bacon, green peppers and onions. I beat 4 eggs with just a dash of milk and pour that over the top. Sprinkle with cheese, salt and pepper. Bake about 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted. I've seen recipes like this with hashbrowns but the mashed potatoes work much better.

You can cook *any* of these ahead and re-heat in the morning, they all re-heat pretty well in the oven, ime.

This is a fav of mine, and is easy to make (though we always had it for dinner :tongue_smilie:):

Ham and rice casserole

3 slightly beaten eggs

1/4 c milk

1/4 c chopped onion (1 T minced)

1/8 t pepper

1.5 c cooked rice

1.5 c cooked ham, cut into ~0.5" squares

4 oz grated cheddar cheese

1. Preheat 350F. Spray 6x10 glass pan (or 8x8) with Pam .

2. Crack eggs in a bowl and beat with fork a few times.

3. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.

4. Pour in pan and bake 45-50min

Makes 6 med servings

You'd probably want to double the recipe, which I've done before - a 9x13 pan works great for a double batch.

HTH

This sounds good, but here is my problem when I doubled my other recipe - the timing. How long does it need to bake if you double it. I won't have time to keep putting it back in the oven until it is done.

This sounds good, but here is my problem when I doubled my other recipe - the timing. How long does it need to bake if you double it. I won't have time to keep putting it back in the oven until it is done.

Almost any casserole like this can be cooked the night before then you just reheat it for about 30 minutes in the oven.

We made this blackberry french toast casserole for Christmas and it was a huge success. What if you made the meat casserole and this one so that everyone had a sweet and a savory option?

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1932538

Can I just say - "YUM"!

I was thinking about something like this, but I wanted the girls to have a breakfast that would last them through the 3 hours of quizzing before lunch. A combination as you suggested might be the best way to go.

I'm pretty sure it was just 50min - in a 9x13 it's about the same thickness as the single recipe in an 8x8 (slightly thinner, actually). I know I didn't adjust the time to account for it and I'm pretty sure I didn't have any issues with having to put it back in.

Almost any casserole like this can be cooked the night before then you just reheat it for about 30 minutes in the oven.

Wow, really? I didn't think reheated eggs would taste very good. I'll think about that.

Thanks also for your suggestions. I wish I had time now to try them out before the event. They look a little more involved than just mixing ingredients in a pan and popping it in the oven. Worth trying for another time though.

We made this blackberry french toast casserole for Christmas and it was a huge success. What if you made the meat casserole and this one so that everyone had a sweet and a savory option?

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1932538

Just wanted to report back on this. I made this recipe and although it was delicious, my fear came true. It didn't cook long enough even though I had it in for the recommended time. I didn't realize it wasn't crisp enough and a bit soggy until after they were dishing up and by that time it was too late to put it back in the oven. I only had 1/2 hour for breakfast before we had to leave the house. Overall they liked it, but I was glad I made scrambled eggs with ham and cheese as everyone took seconds of that. It was a nice contrast to the sweetness of the blackberry french toast. So all in all I'm glad I took your suggestion and will try it again when I'm not under a time crunch.