Menu

Does anyone use curriculum...

Willow

...as written? I mean whole curriculum here. does anyone use WTM AS WRITTEN no tweaks here or there? Or SL as written? Or Winterpromise? Or Ambleside Online? Or..insert curriculum of choice here..?

AND (just to stimulate discussion...not that we need to on this site :tongue_smilie:) would it be a good thing if one did follow the curriculum as written without tweaking for individual children?

Have fun with this one. ;)

Willow.

I might do WTM as written if I could find the books. The problem with WTM is that they're generally suggestions of the type of book you could use so I don't think it matters. Now, as far as doing everything in WTM for each child, each year, I think that would be crazy.:willy_nilly:

I think that curriculum should be adjusted for individuals. It makes no sense academically to do every single page of saxon math as written if you can do the math with less repetition. There is also no sense in reading every single book on the SL reading list just to get it done. A curriculum isn't a resource that is meant to be done as written. It's mean to provide background and an idea of how to approach a topic, or what words you could use to explain something.

It is not a divinely inspired list of what to do and say in 3rd grade....."Thou shalt say...a verb is a word that does and action....Thou shalt not say ...a verb is an action word.":tongue_smilie:

I've never managed to use a curriculum exactly as written. And I've felt plenty enough guilty about it, too, over the last few years. ;) However, this last year or so I have gotten rid of the guilt, most of the packaged curriculums and we are on a journey that suits me, my teaching style and my children and their learning style. I've stopped feeling bad that we're not "checking off" every. single. silly. box. of every. single. week. and feeling very accomplished that we are making solid progress in the skill areas and learning pretty cool things in the content areas. As fast as others, probably not, but at a pace that fits the way we work around here!

Is it a bad thing to follow a curriculum as written? I would say no *if* everyone is enjoying what is being learned, how the pace of the program is set and there isn't a lot of guilt or panic being felt by following such a program. I personally can't imagine it working, especially with several children in the mix, without some sort of "tweaking." But I just don't work that way either.

Nooooo...that would make my life way too simple and uncomplicated. :glare::lol:

I really like to take myself to the brink of insanity by being eclectic and switching through a variety of curricula, and, for that matter, switching my whole homeschooling philosophy regularly. I really like to keep it fresh for my kids. :tongue_smilie:

If I stuck to one curricula written as is, what on earth would I do with all of the free time that is usually spent researching curricula...Laundry, maybe???:001_huh:

Seriously though, I wish I could be disciplined enough to do that. I am trying to get there. As a matter of fact, a friend of mine sent me an article from HEM called The Secret to Homeschooling Freedom written by a homeschool mom named Joanne Calderwood. Reading it was really an eye-opener for me. I want to be able to do it! I am just not sure I could avoid the temptation of going through the 'rough spots' and not looking for the greener grass that always seems to be growing just past my fence...

I was going to say Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons which would seem to be a no-brainer because it's scripted but even there I've added some of the drawing-in-the-air, sitting position and pencil grip emphasis from Peterson Directed Handwriting when it comes to the writing portion.

But still, it's probably the closest I've ever come to following a curriculum as written.

I don't literally follow K12 as written, but I do follow the complete curriculum, lesson by lesson, to completion. I eliminate some of the lesson contents, if they are redundant, too much practice for my child, unnecessary, etc. etc.

Since I've started using K12 completely - not literally word-for-word, but you know - doing each lesson, I'm FINALLY satisfied with our homeschool. The things that I had difficulty doing without a "complete curriculum" are getting done. Things like, science, history (with narration pages!), art (with art projects!), and reading aloud, are getting done, and not just a few lessons/chapters in a book, but the whole year's worth of lessons.

For me, before I switched to K12, the guilt I felt was not necessarily in tweaking up a program, but in skipping the lessons or subjects that I didn't want to do. I don't have guilt or a feeling of inadequacy in the education I'm providing anymore, because those hard-to-do subjects are getting done!

I fear that my grammar is terrible in this post. Please excuse me. I don't want to bother correcting it.

Guest aquiverfull

I really like to take myself to the brink of insanity by being eclectic and switching through a variety of curricula, and, for that matter, switching my whole homeschooling philosophy regularly. I really like to keep it fresh for my kids. :tongue_smilie:

If I stuck to one curricula written as is, what on earth would I do with all of the free time that is usually spent researching curricula...Laundry, maybe???:001_huh:

Seriously though, I wish I could be disciplined enough to do that. I am trying to get there. As a matter of fact, a friend of mine sent me an article from HEM called The Secret to Homeschooling Freedom written by a homeschool mom named Joanne Calderwood. Reading it was really an eye-opener for me. I want to be able to do it! I am just not sure I could avoid the temptation of going through the 'rough spots' and not looking for the greener grass that always seems to be growing just past my fence...

Oh AMY!! :lol::lol:

Why are you talking about ME in this thread...:D

So yes, I'm like Amy. Wish I could say otherwise but that is sadly not the case. I need to look at that book you listed up there. :tongue_smilie:

I've tried SL, WP, MFW. No way can I just leave the schedule alone. I'm looking for something for history/literature next year and already tweaking different programs before I've even bought them. I'll just change this book, wait let me add that one...and before you know it I'm not even using the pricey guide I paid for. You would think by now I would have learned, but alas I'm still looking for that perfect history program.

I've never managed to use a curriculum exactly as written. And I've felt plenty enough guilty about it, too, over the last few years. ;) However, this last year or so I have gotten rid of the guilt, most of the packaged curriculums and we are on a journey that suits me, my teaching style and my children and their learning style. I've stopped feeling bad that we're not "checking off" every. single. silly. box. of every. single. week. and feeling very accomplished that we are making solid progress in the skill areas and learning pretty cool things in the content areas. As fast as others, probably not, but at a pace that fits the way we work around here!

Is it a bad thing to follow a curriculum as written? I would say no *if* everyone is enjoying what is being learned, how the pace of the program is set and there isn't a lot of guilt or panic being felt by following such a program. I personally can't imagine it working, especially with several children in the mix, without some sort of "tweaking." But I just don't work that way either.

:iagree:

I agree completely! I will be using TOG this coming year and I hope I can use it as intended (as a buffet to choose from).

I am following CLE Math, Reading and LA to the tee. (Mostly LOL!!!!) I don't tweak or skip, but sometimes I do the writing part for my littles.

I do follow SOTW but not as quickly as a chap a week. We are taking the slow ride.

I have NEVER, EVER, EVER been able to follow an all inclusive curriculum ...especially a Unit Study...EVER in 15 years. Not Sonlight (tried it more times than I care to admit) MFW, TOG, Learning Adventures, Weaver, Prairie Primer (Came very close on this one,) A Beka, BJU, Rod & Staff...You name it! They make me crazy...nuts and guilty...I will never put myself through that again!

I am really good at following courses where I decide which subjects we will study for the year, the pacing and which components or materials we will use. I am finding that works best for us. I guess i write my own all inclusive curriculum using WTM and Ambleside Online and that I am able to stick to quite easily and best of all everyone is on their correct level (No more tweaking)

~~Faithe

...as written? I mean whole curriculum here. does anyone use WTM AS WRITTEN no tweaks here or there? Or SL as written? Or Winterpromise? Or Ambleside Online? Or..insert curriculum of choice here..?

AND (just to stimulate discussion...not that we need to on this site :tongue_smilie:) would it be a good thing if one did follow the curriculum as written without tweaking for individual children?

Willow.

:lol: Lol, Willow. You're so funny. Your post gave me a good chuckle.

I sometimes aspire to be more conventional, but isn't that the nature of many homeschoolers? We want to do our way. I just can't imagine putting each of my dc in a box (not literally of course) like that. They are so uniquely created and I've found through trial and error that while one curriculum might bring a dc great joy, the very same one might produce groans or tears from another.

Edited by angela&4boys

WTM is a theory. You can ignore all of their curriculum recs and still be following their theory. But no, I don't agree on *everything* they have to say :) I think there are better ways of doing science. As to whether it's ok or not ok to tweak, I think it depends on whether you understand what the author of the program is doing, why they are doing it and how. If you are following a script because you don't really understand those things, but your kiddies are learning what you wanted them to learn, then sticking to the script is probably a good idea. If you understand the author's theories, you can be following those even while tweaking, or you can be tweaking to improve on their theory in some way.

Rosie

I follow math, grammar, spelling, writing, foreign languages, art etc all as written. I tweak science to a degree, though mostly I follow it. History is a different situation. I am doing a unit study now, and then starting a sonlight core. THe problem with history programs like SL is it is written from an American perspective, and I am Canadian. This does not matter for subjects like math and grammar, but when it comes to the history of my country it sure does. So even though we are using SL and WP next to cover American history levels, I have tweaked/added A LOT to make it a Canadianized version.

I almost always use MUS as written. I use LOF as written. I use HO almost completely as written. I use Noeo Science as written.

For me, finding the best curriculum for us has a lot to do with it. I tweaked/changed/revamped things constantly in the first few years, because most of what I bought was wrong for us.

• 3 weeks later...

:iagree: Thank you for describing me perfectly, right down to the laundry.

(To answer the OP's question: No. I just have to tweak. Its part of my nature.)

Let's see, I'm using the following "as written":

Foerster's Algebra I

AG

LL from LOTR

Jump In

Spelling Mastery

Holt Language

Memoria Press' study guides for D'Aulaires Greek Myths and Christan Studies

SOTW

These are all "do the next lesson" programs, and that's just what we do. :tongue_smilie:

I don't typically use really involved programs like TOG or Sonlight because I would find it next to impossible to pick-up and go with them. They'd require way to much tweeking.

While I use some of the curriulum suggestion TWTM recommends, and some of the educational strategies the Wise's outline, I don't use TWTM as written - it simply doesn't work for us.

Willow.

WHAT?!?!? We're supposed to follow the GUIDES?!?!

:scared:

no, i don't:leaving:

Nooooo...that would make my life way too simple and uncomplicated.

I really like to take myself to the brink of insanity by being eclectic and switching through a variety of curricula, and, for that matter, switching my whole homeschooling philosophy regularly. I really like to keep it fresh for my kids.

If I stuck to one curricula written as is, what on earth would I do with all of the free time that is usually spent researching curricula...Laundry, maybe???

:lol:

Oh AMY!!

Why are you talking about ME in this thread...:D

So yes, I'm like Amy. Wish I could say otherwise but that is sadly not the case. I need to look at that book you listed up there.

I've tried SL, WP, MFW. No way can I just leave the schedule alone. I'm looking for something for history/literature next year and already tweaking different programs before I've even bought them. I'll just change this book, wait let me add that one...and before you know it I'm not even using the pricey guide I paid for. You would think by now I would have learned, but alas I'm still looking for that perfect history program.

In 14 years. Never. Not once. I tweak everything. Either for the kid or for me. ;-)

WTM is a theory. You can ignore all of their curriculum recs and still be following their theory. But no, I don't agree on *everything* they have to say I think there are better ways of doing science. As to whether it's ok or not ok to tweak, I think it depends on whether you understand what the author of the program is doing, why they are doing it and how. If you are following a script because you don't really understand those things, but your kiddies are learning what you wanted them to learn, then sticking to the script is probably a good idea. If you understand the author's theories, you can be following those even while tweaking, or you can be tweaking to improve on their theory in some way.

Rosie

I tweak everything. I just can't follow anyone else's schedule exactly. I'm too rebellious, I guess.

:tongue_smilie:

Well, LOL, I'm not so sure we wouldn't all explode if we even *tried* to use a curriculum as written. I think the reason most of us do what we do (homeschool) is at least in part because we are rugged individualists. By our very nature, we can NOT adopt the ideas of another without making them our own.....

I tweak most everything. Even MUS. Sometimes he makes things too complicated and I undermine his instruction with my own.

And, I use Mary Kay moisturizer, Nicole Miller cleanser and Aldi brand toner and my skin has never been better. So there. :lol:

I tweak TT math, but use LOF as written. I also use various brands for my face. (and I am not so sure about my skin, but HS is working out great) ;)

Willow.

I use Heart of Dakota as written... I think. Well, we skip the vocabulary assignments. We do everything else. They recommend Singapore for math. We use both MUS and Singapore. I follow the guides (I'm using three plus their reading program which is a fourth) almost exactly. I can't think of any way in which I'm tweaking it. I have my children placed where they need to be within each "subject", that's why I pull from multiple guides. It's very easy to do and I don't worry about whether or not they are getting what they need. I know that they are.

It's a GREAT thing for me! We really enjoy the books and assignments. I see how they are progressing and I feel good about it. If it doesn't work well in the future, I'll make changes; but for now, I'm very satisfied. Even if I changed our main curriculum, I'll stick with their recommendations for math and language arts, I'll continue to incorporate their books and use the same methods.

Edited by Donna T.

I don't literally follow K12 as written, but I do follow the complete curriculum, lesson by lesson, to completion. I eliminate some of the lesson contents, if they are redundant, too much practice for my child, unnecessary, etc. etc.

Since I've started using K12 completely - not literally word-for-word, but you know - doing each lesson, I'm FINALLY satisfied with our homeschool. The things that I had difficulty doing without a "complete curriculum" are getting done. Things like, science, history (with narration pages!), art (with art projects!), and reading aloud, are getting done, and not just a few lessons/chapters in a book, but the whole year's worth of lessons.

This is us, right now, to a 'T'. We've also used MUS, CLE and NOEO science as written. History, NEVER! (At least until K12, and I think my 8th grader managed to find a way to tweak it anyway.:lol:)

Ava

I can't even follow a recipe without tweaking -- even my own!!! So, um, no. Gotta tweak. Sometimes little ones, sometimes big. My mother says I'm "anti-authoritarian". (Actually, that came out about my birthing choices, not the home schooling or the baking, lol.) Dh says that's her fault for home schooling *me*! ;)

I don't think so? *glancing at the school book shelf* Life of Fred maybe. There's not much room for tweaking that one. Well, I do make him do more bridges on sections that were hard for him, even if he passed the first one.

Hah! Mind Benders. Found one.

My kids don't come with convenient age/grade standards, neither does their homeschool education. :p

I can't even follow a recipe without tweaking -- even my own!!! So, um, no. Gotta tweak. Sometimes little ones, sometimes big. My mother says I'm "anti-authoritarian". (Actually, that came out about my birthing choices, not the home schooling or the baking, lol.)

:iagree: :lol::lol::lol: This is me exactly.

Now that I've got my kids placed right where they need to be, I don't tweak at all! I finally found something for us that I don't need to tweak and love it! It's fits my hs'ing philosophy, style, goals, and my Christian beliefs.

we're using Heart of Dakota, and use all their suggestions...well, math is open and we use a different math for my oldest as written and love that too!

Oh, is doing some of R&S Grammar orally tweaking?? LOL

So, very minor tweaker now, but formally a major tweaker to the point that what I was using no longer looked like the program it started as.