Menu

Rosetta Stone levels: Really worth 1 year of credit?

Are the new (version 3) levels of Rosetta Stone really equivalent to a year of high school credit each? My 8th grader is moving very quickly through the lessons by spending about 30 min/day on it. He seems to be able to use it; occasionally we'll be chatting about something and he'll blurt out a sentence in German on that topic.

I'm just finding it hard to believe that when he's done with level 5 he'll be ready for an AP test, which is what you'd be ready for after 5 years of high school German starting in 8th grade.

Maybe I'm skeptical after years of reading that it's not a complete program. I just searched and found many threads saying that version 3 is much more complete.

We're using MFW's lesson plans with it. They consulted with a high school Spanish teacher and added in some elements that fill the gaps to make each level a high school credit.

Not sure how that applies to AP credit though. They aren't claiming in their plans that they are trying for that. anyway...

In case it matters.. most of the plans are not religious even though MFW is a Christian publisher. 2 exceptions pop in my mind. One is that they suggest reading verses from the Bible in the language you are learning. There is an end of year research paper. They suggest the research could be able Bible translations in places where the target language is one language spoken, but not the only language. It could just as easily be about working for a non religious group in other parts of the world too.

But MFW's plans include ideas and when to add in cultural activities, and getting children's book and movies in the language you are learning. And various ways to use the audio companion CD's so that you aren't just listening to them. I don't see them on their website. I know I ordered via phone order for them.

That's how we're using RS for 1 year of credit.

-crystal

Edit realizing I didn't answer the original question clearly. I do not think it is equivalent to a high school 1 credit course. Nor do I think the first 2 levels together are equal to 1 credit content-wise.

Ds did RS in 8th & 9th grade and got through level 1 and most of level 2 (til my computer refused to run it). He is sure that even after those almost 2 levels that he would not have been able to pass the end of German I OSU test due to the lack of grammar study. Because of the structure of OSU with lessons, quizzes, and weekly phone conversations, there is also much more feedback about retention. He works harder at studying than he did with Rosetta Stone.

Since he's never used and I've never seen MFW lesson plans I cannot compare the grammar presented by MFW. But I can say that even if we are presuming that the grammar is exactly the same (of which I have no clue) that for it to be equal, the parent would have to do a lot more active quizzing and testing to make sure there is retention.

My current view is that Rosetta Stone has its function - preparation. I cannot say where ds would have been now if he had not used RS first. It gave a vocabulary and speaking base to work from and I think helps overall comprehension and recall.

To give an idea of the time he spends doing OSU, it is 1hr/day, 5 days/week plus phone calls and occasional overtime and that includes the 30 - 60 min/week where he does group activities with his sister. That enabled him to get through German I in a 20 week semester. If we would have started in 9th grade, he could have gone at a slower pace to absorb more.

Since he had learned French in a more natural way and took the French AP based on grammar study following the Swiss school sequence, I wasn't able to properly evaluate what it is like to learn a foreign language at the high school level with little prior exposure and I used to think of RS as equivalent (due to acceptance by certain homeschool programs more than due to personal experience).

BUT ds has not yet passed the German AP, so we are not completely experienced. My assessment after half a year of German is that if you want to prepare for the AP, I would go for a program that requires more of the student.

HTH,

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva
corrections & add info

RS does say each level is a credit, but my dd went through levels 1 & 2 of french in less than 100 hours. In my town, 110 hours equals a high school credit. I can hardly believe she'd be given two credits for it. My plan is to have her finish level 3 this year (gr. 7) and go through all three levels again next year. If I homeschool her in high school, I'll count that as a credit. If I don't, she'll have to just do her one credit in high school (gr. 9).