Menu

After SOTW-4, anyone add a little current history (1995-present)?

Julie in MN

After SOTW-4, anyone add a little current history (1995-present)?

I'd like to add a little bit of current history after the end of SOTW-4. If someone else already has this all planned out, then I'm all for not re-inventing the wheel :) Besides, if I plan it myself, I'm sure to over-do & make my son groan. I'd like to stick to a SOTW-4 sized summary of history, and cover ds's lifetime (he was born in 1995).

Julie

Julie,

any chance you have done scrapbooking, or journaling, or anything like that to go over key family events with your son? Sometimes that might spark a memory in the "world history" of those recent days and provide just enough story telling.

Here is what I did in 1850MOD to at least touch on a little bit about some events after end of SOTW. It was done very lightly. I don't know what all books are out there that might be Decade in Review in pictures. Maybe the library has something like that. When I was a jr. high student, my parents had those Time Life Decade in Review books at home and that's how I ended up learning some highlights of history that wasn't covered in jr. high school.

We made sure to finish out the EAH book. I hear 2nd edition of that book has a chapter that at least summarizes some key stuff. But some events were in there from after 1995.

We read those chapters in Child. Ency of Am. History and discussed. I added in my memories of those events. That gets you to 2002.

Of course there was the last of the Presidents Cards -- so we grabbed some book basket biographies there to read some events that were important.

and did current events - via news, magazines

Sometimes pop culture stories have then/now segments. Those are funny to us.

and just told family stories of key events in my daughter's life. I think of it this way. When I was in 7th and 8th grade we didn't necessarily study a lot in school on the history of the last 13 years, but we started learning current events. There were some things we studied of course, but just bits and pieces and really big things. Those history things are of course covered in SOTW. And I mentioned already about the books my parents had -- just a quick story, few key photographs from news headlines from those years that I was alive.

Those current events of my jr. high days are the things that I am filling in the gaps for my child. (ooh... I could get all fancy and say it's some generational sharing, but.... I can't stop laughing to do that).

then.... for the last decade....

For 9/11 I pulled out saved copies of newspapers from that day. I asked her what she remembers that day (she was days away from 6 years old......I'll leave that out for the most part.) She knows the story of a few days later when the FAA allowed flights -- of how some bozo t. clown in his Cessna 206 left without clearance from our small town airport and was chased down by the nice serviceman 60 miles away in their very fast and loud F-16's.

3 minutes from illegal take over to intercept and it was over top our house -- 2000 feet or less above our house and the windows were shaking. It was cool! Not for the idiot pilot, but just watching how fast it happened. sigh.

anyway, the other thing is that we tried to make history ourselves with various service projects. You know those stories from another board we're on.

I'm sure there are books somewhere to make it easier on all of that. I don't know how it will work out in high school for modern. But I was ok if my daughter learned just the highlights as presented with Presidents Cards, Child. Ency of Am. History, mom's stories, the last chapters in EAH, and book basket on Presidents. Then with current events she can keep up a bit.

Hope something works out.

-crystal