Menu

Can we talk fountain pens for handwriting...

PeterPan

Which pens would you recommend for the following kids:

DS12 — left-handed, sensory issues (pushes really really hard, complains his hand hurts after one page of writing), currently doing Getty-Dubay Italic, has adult size hands (well, the same size as mine, anyway). His favorite color is green, so I would love to get him a green pen with green ink.

DD7 — right-handed, doing CCU Cursive (similar to Cursive First), no writing problems, very small hands (she weighs 40 lbs and wears size 5 clothes). I'd love to get her a little pink pen with an assortment of pink/purple/blue inks.

I would prefer cartridge pens to disposable ones. Where is the best place to order from, and if ordering from abroad, do you need to order all the cartridges from abroad as well? Are there generic cartridges that work in any pen, or do you need to buy cartridges specific to the make and model of pen?

TIA!

Jackie

Which pens would you recommend for the following kids:

I like these pens.

My little girl (the same size as yours) can use them, and so can dh. My older dd is a leftie who gets tired hands easily. She has been very successful with the fountain pens. I don't know whether it is the smoother writing, or the fun colors.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a pack of the Pilot Varsities to be sure my kids would like them before I placed an order with Jetpen (because after I loaded up the shopping cart, the total was kinda scary), and they've been a huge hit. They did make a big difference in handwriting, once the kids figured out the correct angle, and DS can write at least twice as much without his hand hurting. Plus they love using the colors (they both like to pick 2 colors and use them on alternate lines). So I'm about to pull the trigger on my jumbo Jetpen order, and I'd like to say THANK YOU! to everyone who suggested this, especially the specific brands (I'm ordering Pelikano lefties for DS and a selection of Petit colors for DD).

Jackie

chiming in kind of late here,

but would something like a gel pen work as well? In terms of being easier on the hands? I've never seen or used a fountain pen, but I have used gel pens and thought they were really nice. It has never occurred to me to have the kids use pens - I feel so bad now. They have asked to numerous times and I always have said no - just because, I guess :(

anyway, thanks for the great ideas and feedback

Jen

I have a beautiful wood pen that my eldest got the one year he attended a Waldorf school. My little guy, when he was just 8, was dying to use it, so I let him, and he said, "I love the scratching noise this pen makes when I write. It makes me feel like a professional." LOL! My little professional!

The point with the fountain pen is it won't work right if they hold it incorrectly. And they'll break the nib or make blotches if they press too hard. So it's trying to correct their over-pressure writing as well as just making things flow easier. Gel would be fine for the average kid, sure, but at that point any pen would work.