Menu

Beginning Latin for 10th grader?

Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn Latin. My dd really likes SYRWTL Latin. It's a no frills approach to Latin, but easily understood by those with no Latin background. It has no workbook, but Galore Park does publish Latin Practice Exercises workbooks. I like those for assessment & review.

If your dd is wanting to learn Latin for aid in a medical field, I would look at a roots program. I have Vocabulary Vine & Science Roots, but there are many other roots programs available. Latin has many benefits, but in your case learning the Latin / Greek roots may be a better use of the couple of years your dd has left before university.

JMHO,

Getting Started with Latin is it a terrific, easy to learn curriculum. The textbook is not expensive, the website is terrific and even has audio pronunciation of every lesson in the book.

I'm a Latin idiot. I've done basic elementary Latin with my kids when they were younger, which was severely limited by my Latin idiocy (despite other curriculum claims that "you CAN teach this at home!"). GSWL was recommended by a good friend who directed our local Classical Conversations program for several years. It's been a hit at our house.

http://www.latinrootsofenglish.com/ great website with many text suggestions suited to your purpose. As a lawyer I did not need latin nor was it helpful. The latin terms we needed to know were taught in each course. I would urge you to look at the texts here for a limited purpose of learning what is needed for her field of study.

Oooooh, I really like this. Thanks for posting it.