Menu

Are SAT Subject Tests worth it if also CLEP?

Check with the college. Some require SAT subjects as part of the application from all students--some require these tests from homeschoolers to justify "mommy" grades.

And not all CLEP exams are accepted by every college.

It really pays to do your homework by reading the websites of prospective colleges, bearing in mind that policies are subject to change. (We have witnessed this from our initial planning.)

Best regards,

Jane

Thanks, I will ask about the doubling-up. They say nothing on their site about SAT subject tests, but I know they take up to 32 credits with CLEP. I just wasn't clear as to why one would do the SAT subject tests. What is the advantage if you pass the CLEP tests of the same subject. Doesn't CLEP show that the child actually knows the subject matter and didn't just get a pass from mom?

Doesn't CLEP show that the child actually knows the subject matter and didn't just get a pass from mom?

Some schools use the SAT subjects as a means of comparing students from different high schools. For example, Boston University requires two SAT subjects (or ACT with writing) from all applicants, no matter what CLEP or AP exams they have had. Duke requires SAT subjects but doesn't give any CLEP credit. This is why I suggest parents ask the college since there is no one way of doing things.

Hi Cathy,

I am here in CA as well, and my older son is going through the college app process (he is a senior). The University of CA requires two SAT Subject exams in addition to the regular SAT from every applicant. I am not sure about the Cal Stat system, but taking the subject exams can't hurt, especially as a homeschooler. If you are looking at private schools, be sure to plan ahead. CalTech requires three subject exams, and Washington and Lee (in VA) requires 5 (yes, that is what I meant!) from homeschooled students. My son took the chemistry exam as a sophomore and he took the literature exam in December. He decided not to apply to CalTech, so he opted mot to take a third test. Hope this helps!

Blessings,

April

Have you thought about the AP tests? They're accepted at more colleges than the Cleps. I have my sons take Aps and Cleps in the same subjects close to the same time so they are all studied up for the subjects. Cleps are easier to pass and there is a bigger variety. I'm not sure now, but a few years ago it was hard to get credit for the Eng. Comp Clep because if the college required the essay section it had to be sent by the College Board to the college the student wanted credit at. Not everyone knows where they are going to college if they take it before their senior year and the college we sent it to didn't give him credit (he didn't end up going to that college anyway and I'm not totally sure they ever really graded the essay - it seemed like they fumbled around trying to figure out what we were talking about and then said he didn't pass - it's a huge school). For the AP Eng. Comp., the College Board grades the essay part - much simpler and much more likely to pass that part in my opinion.

The SAT II tests aren't very expensive and they are only an hour long. You never know when they'll be needed. NC State University asks for the SAT Subject Math Lvl 2 for placement purposes. They have their own placement tests students can take, but they prefer the SAT II.

Perhaps there are other schools that use SAT II for placement, if not admission.

Sandra