Menu

Why Classical Education?

ChristyH

I have just read TWTM. I love it because it gives good goals and suggestions. I need a plan of where I'm going and how to get there. I like that they don't push all thier suggestions on us, but give good reasons for what they suggest.

I've done PreK and K too "fly by the seat of my pants" and I've realized that I need more structure in my plans for the long-term. I tend to cover a topic then it takes forever for us to gear back up.

hope all that makes sense - i'm refereeing and intense fancy nancy game while i'm typing :lol:

If you aim for the stars, even if you miss, you'll still likely hit the moon.

For me, it has all the elements that I loved and have come to appreciate about my own education. It also has the elements that I felt or have come to feel were missing in my own education.

I also feel that it gives my children a strong, thorough grounding in skills as well as major content areas in a way that leaves them many options for exploring their own interests.

It's organized and logical, and I don't just mean studying logic. ;) The progression of skills is important. Using *something* as a unifying aspect is important. History works well for many reasons, though it could probably/possibly be done via science, or even art or music.

And, to quote SWB, it's language-focused, not image-focused.

If you aim for the stars, even if you miss, you'll still likely hit the moon.

For me, it has all the elements that I loved and have come to appreciate about my own education. It also has the elements that I felt or have come to feel were missing in my own education.

I also feel that it gives my children a strong, thorough grounding in skills as well as major content areas in a way that leaves them many options for exploring their own interests.

It's organized and logical, and I don't just mean studying logic. ;) The progression of skills is important. Using *something* as a unifying aspect is important. History works well for many reasons, though it could probably/possibly be done via science, or even art or music.

And, to quote SWB, it's language-focused, not image-focused.

yes! that's what I wanted to say - being 8 months pregnant and the intense board games going on here fogged my mind!

oh, and I want my kids to be able to clearly write their thoughts out! :tongue_smilie:

Why not?

I chose it, because it was the best approach I had found. The reasoning was soundly laid out by SWB and Jessie Wise. It assumes that children are capable of a great deal, nothing is dumbed down, and the focus is education (not fun, not virtues, not building strong relationships, &tc.).

I need a plan of where I'm going and how to get there. I like that they don't push all their suggestions on us, but give good reasons for what they suggest.

That's basically what drew me to TWTM in the first place. I had been contemplating home school for my son but knew that he couldn't tolerate a boxed curriculum. At the same time, I knew that I couldn't handle an unschooling atmosphere. I read Cathy Duffy's "100 Top Picks" and worked out that classical schooling would indeed work for both of us as it provides a lot of rigor and variety but also a lot of structure. My DD enjoys memorization and easily retains what he has read, so a largely literature-based curriculum works for him. There are lots of different types of curriculum listed in TWTM, so I felt like I could go lots of different directions and still be within the scope of a classical education. At the same time, I can also check a longterm plan for the future. TWTM has given me the confidence to realize that I *CAN* do this and lists some steps to take to get there.

I'm sure that as I gain more confidence and experience that I'll probably slip away from TWTM's suggestions (and in some cases, I already am), but for now, it's a good solid foundation.

I have lots of favorite articles and books that answer this question, here's one

http://memoriapress.com/articles/why-classical.html

The Memoria Press article section has lots of good answers to your question.

My answer assumes that we're talking about a classical Christian education, so the end goals include understanding and appreciating goodness, truth and beauty for the purpose of knowing and worshiping God more fully. Classical education offers the form--trivium and quadrivium of arts/skills, the content--the Great Books/conversation/ideas from the beginning of history to the present time, and the ends--loving wisdom and virtue, that I think are necessary to be a truly educated person.

It lays a strong foundation of knowledge, it is rigorous and thorough, and it encourages thinking.

I like elements of other teaching styles (ex Waldorf, Montessori, CM), and I am still able to incorporate those elements into a classical education without taking away from the core foundations of classical ed, at least from my interpretation of TWTM. Whereas, it would be more difficult for me to base my child's learning experience on say, Waldorf methods, and then try to incorporate classical to it.

Why not? I mean seriously. The approach of WTM/LCC/neo-classicism has to be at least as good as the public school, unschool, and who knows whatever else philosophies. And if it's better, that's great too. Don't think that tiptoeing down the path of WTM and using things from it is going to turn you into something you AREN'T. You might grow as a human, just from learning more and reading more, but ultimately you are who you are, value what you value, and believe what you believe. I think very few people around here are trying to recreate some mystical "classical" education. They've just found a road map that works and they use stuff from it. You're going to take what you are, what you value, what you believe, and use things in WTM that help you implement it. Some people are really drawn to the order, the discipline, the consistency of WTM. Some people are not, lol. It's just a tool. If you go to SWB's blog and read some of her past comments about her dc's daily schedules, etc., I think you'll see that it's not so much that you're trying to create a classical education. Rather you're letting classical methods inform your approach to education that you customize to your kids.

Because I was classically educated myself and could not fathom sending my daughters to the US school system upon moving here and depriving them off the important content.

Granted, we're not typical classical homeschoolers and we actually do many things differently than TWTM, however, I still find it one of the better systems available.

No rotten tomatoes! I am merely trying to understand why it appeals to people. I have read TWTM. I am NOT bashing it.:001_huh:

I stared out with more of a Ruth Beechick (RB) philosophy and thought that a Classical approach was way over the top. The problem I had is you are supposed to take advantage of teachable moments, and I was answering, "I don't know" way too much when the opportunities did come. There were just too many gaps in my own understanding. I also have kids who don't really like to read, and RB methods assume they will want to.

Once I looked at Classical I figured out it was a lot more approachable, and especially developmentally appropriate than I thought (especially in the area of writing). Now there are still parts I modify to fit our own unique situation, but overall I really find the philosophy to work for us.

Heather

My reasons are much like the other posters...

I came upon WTM kind of by accident. We just started HSing last year. I'm not a box curriculum person so I pieced together things I thought were good. My biggest problem was I didn't have a big picture plan. I had no idea where we were going with all these different things. Then, I read WTM and everything just clicked for me. The funny thing was almost every curriculum I had chosen fit right with the Classical model, I just didn't know that it was considered Classical Education!

Since reading more about WTM I am sold. The goals of classical ed/WTM line up with the goals I have for our kids. And best of all I have a plan for how to get it all accomplished! And... we all have fun! I'm learning right alongside my kids!

The same reasons as everyone else, really.

*It is language focused, and glass ceilings in the academic world are created by our language abilities.

*It is methodical and thorough. It takes our end goals and breaks them down and down and down until they are small enough to start with our kinder kids, then builds on that in small achievable steps throughout their education. We can't do everything, but what we do learn will be done properly and in a sensible sort of order so connections can be made.

*It justified my feelings that artistic and cultural studies are important and I shouldn't be chopping them out in order to find more time to work a paying job. ;) Not that I object to working, but you know what I mean...

Rosie

I like the way the content (literature, religion, politics, art, science, math, economics, philosophy) is presented in the context of history - you end up knowing who interacted with whom, where, at what time, for what reason - it's all connected!

I like the way the content (literature, religion, politics, art, science, math, economics, philosophy) is presented in the context of history - you end up knowing who interacted with whom, where, at what time, for what reason - it's all connected!

:iagree:

Because I was classically educated myself

Yes, for me too.

Each style of homeschooling has its good points. But when I'm in front of my children, I have to be authentic. I'm fairly hardcore about academics. So a classical-style education is the best match. (My husband has nicknamed our homeschool "Clown College" though, because while we do cover a lot, we sure have a lot of laughs along the way.:tongue_smilie:)

I think it gives my children a solid foundation to build on in years to come. With a strong understanding of writing, math, science, history, etc., they will be able to make connections between various fields of study,and to express themselves articulately.

:iagree:

Classical education has numerous definitions with the WTM being simply one modern interpretation. Having high academic standard is only a fractional component of true classical education objectives.

One goal of a truly classical education is independent thinking/understanding. It is to be able to form logical arguments, to see through persuasive rhetoric to the actual argument of others, to be able to distinguish truth from opinion/spin.

The proper formation of critical thinking skills enables the individual to base views on reason vs. feeling/views of the masses.

My personal classical views are formed around the Ignatian definition of classical education. This view encompasses more than the intellect. It focuses on the whole person: mental, physical, and spiritual. The goal is enabling the individual to live for the ultimate end for which they were created, glorifying God and attaining eternal salvation.

The proximate educational aims are, first, to develop all the powers of the body and soul. It’s the whole man that is being formed: his body, senses, memory, imagination, intellect, and will. It is developing, disciplining, and directing all the capacities of the human personality. That is the purpose of education. Here is a remarkable quote from the Ratio Studiorum:

The development of the student’s intellectual capacity is the school’s most characteristic part. However, this development will be defective and even dangerous unless it is strengthened and completed by the training of the will and the formation of the character.

If you are just shooting for intellectual knowledge and you are not strengthening the will and forming the character at the same time, not only is education defective, but it is capable of being "even dangerous," and possibly extremely so! Education prepares nature to receive and cooperate with Our Lord’s grace. We are instructing the intellect, training the will, and forming the character —in other words, the whole man —based upon serious principles.

skills enables the individual to base views on reason

This nugget is probably the core motivator for me to homeschool. Around our area, it seems as though there is a complete abdication of this requirement long past the primary years. It's as though the curriculum is developed with the supposition that children are unable to reason. I simply don't buy that to be so.

Why not? I mean seriously. The approach of WTM/LCC/neo-classicism has to be at least as good as the public school, unschool, and who knows whatever else philosophies. And if it's better, that's great too. Don't think that tiptoeing down the path of WTM and using things from it is going to turn you into something you AREN'T. You might grow as a human, just from learning more and reading more, but ultimately you are who you are, value what you value, and believe what you believe. I think very few people around here are trying to recreate some mystical "classical" education. They've just found a road map that works and they use stuff from it. You're going to take what you are, what you value, what you believe, and use things in WTM that help you implement it. Some people are really drawn to the order, the discipline, the consistency of WTM. Some people are not, lol. It's just a tool. If you go to SWB's blog and read some of her past comments about her dc's daily schedules, etc., I think you'll see that it's not so much that you're trying to create a classical education. Rather you're letting classical methods inform your approach to education that you customize to your kids.

I agree wholeheartedly with OhElizabeth.

I use SWB's book as a springboard of what education should be: giving you sufficient knowledge to understand the world and giving you skills to speak/write/think/read clearly. I don't always follow her curriculum suggestion, but I try to follow her methods and goal. I customize the curriculum to my kid's inclination and our lifestyle.

To develop the tools to explore the world.

To develop the curiosity and inquisitiveness about the world to want to.

To have the personal fortitude and know-how and academic acumen to delve into what ever field or people group or challenge one is presented with.

To be grounded in truths bigger than themselves.

1. I received a classical homeschool education and I'd like the same for my children.

2. I see that my education was superior to the average education in my locality and I want my children to work at the top of their capabilities.

3. We are a family that loves reading and literature and we place value on being well-read and conversant in the great philosophies and ideas.

4. I think those who have studied history chronologically are more humble because they realize that we are truly standing on the shoulders of giants.

5. There are more than enough illogical people in the world already. Most of them seem to end up in politics.