Menu

Singapore math question-for Standards users, does it have sufficient review?

HappyGrace

I know they have added more than there was in the US Edition. I am hoping that the review in the new Standards edition has almost a spiral flavor to it?

In other words, does the review in each chapter include review of mixed topics from previous chapters?

I am not sold on a totally mastery approach-I find that if we don't review previous topics regularly (not daily, just regularly) there is no retention! So I'm hoping the new Sing. Standards has this built in? Thanks!

I believe it does. After every chapter, there is a review section in both the textbook and the workbook. These review sections cover topics from all previous sections. For some chapters, there is even more than one review section in the textbook.

I also use the tests book, instead of the extra practice book, for extra practice and review. The tests book has cumulative tests at the end of each chapter (EP does not have cumulative review sections).

In addition, I use the IP and the CWP books -- these provide not only more review of concepts, but more challenging problems than what are presented in the text/workbooks.

Even if you didn't want to do all the extras, there is definitely more review material in the Stds edition than in the U.S. edition. For extra practice, I recommend the tests books over the extra practice books.

I love the HIGs, too, for the mental math drills and additional enrichment exercises they offer. One could use just the mental math drills for continuous review of the basic operations.

The Standards editions has review sections at the end of each chapter. They are cumulative and cover prior topics.

I used the US edition for 1A and 1B and didn't feel there was enough practice. We were also using IP and CWP and I still wanted more drill to memorize the basic facts.

I use the standards edition for 2A (we're in B now) and I got their Extra Practice book (same level of difficulty as the text and workbook) and think it does give enough practice and review.

Looking at the replies, I hadn't thought of using the tests in that way. Phooey. I bought the EP book for 3 and now may have to grab tests. What a neat idea!

amsunshine, I don't want to hijack my own thread (:)) so I'm going to start a different thread addressed to you about how you are using Singapore (I hope you don't mind!)

eta: Dana, feel free to chime in there too! thanks! And I was especially glad to hear from someone who had used the US edition to compare the amount of review in the Standards.

Edited by HappyGrace