Menu

Jann in TX- about MUS and TT

I read your post about TT, so I thought you can answer a question I was asked recently about MUS pre-cal/TT. Are they a stand alone program?? Are they equivalent to most ps math courses?

I said that MUS ((I haven't seen TT) was better used as a supplement and was not a stand alone program.... (we use CD and Lial's)

I feel that I need to call my friend and tell her that I was wrong:confused:

MUS and TT's Pre-Calc programs are NOT on the same level as PS or college level Pre-Calc programs...they are introductory in nature--not as deep, not as many concepts taught--and not close to the same level of required thinking.

PS and College Pre-Calc courses use the SAME texts and both are considered COLLEGE LEVEL courses.

If a student used MUS or TT they would NOT test out of a CD or Lial course but they 'might' test into a Calc course (but they would not be as prepared as students who used a better Pre-Calc program). There will ALWAYS be exceptions with naturally mathy students. I have seen students use programs 'worse' than these (I'm not calling these bad--just not up to the same level as 'standards') and still make perfect scores on the SAT (by the way the SAT's math only goes through Algebra 2 level...)