Menu

Do you ever wonder....??

ProudGrandma

if you are doing enough school with your kids? I used to be a classroom teacher and sometimes that background is very helpful and other times...not so much...and I wonder if this is one of those times. My kids do math, spelling, grammar, phonics, handwriting each day..we try to do either science or history each day, I try have each kid read to me each day...and although we are busy all day long, I just sometimes wonder if I am doing enough. For example, I still want to fit in Latin some place, I want to do more reading with the kids (especially read to them)..I wonder if I need to be doing MORE math or MORE phonics...I know the school in our town has a reading program chunk up 1 1/2 hours of everyday...that is too much, I think...but is 15-20 minutes enough?? I just don't know...am I crazy...am I not? Oh, my kids are 9,8 and 5. Thanks.

Edited by NEprairemom
forgot something

I really think how intensely you work on a subject counts. Working one on one "intensely" takes a lot less time than working slowly with a group. If you are a classroom teacher and the whole group does not understand, you keep going. If your dc doesn't understand you stop and keep explaining.

What take 1 1/2 hours in school may only take you 20mins working one on one.

Honestly I don't worry. I have enough contact w/public schooled kids to see that my kids are not behind in any way. One thought I had though when reading your post about the hour and a half for reading, is that it is for a classroom full of kids. Doing one on one shouldn't take so much time. That is why having an outside tutor for a struggling child in a classroom environment can make such a difference even when they meet with them only once or twice a week. That short condensed time working at their level makes the difference. That is what we as homeschoolers do everyday.

I also know that I read to my children a lot. We make time to read at least one bedtime story a night, on top of school during the day. My independent reader reads on her own outside of school and read alouds, and we often read way more than just the one bedtime story. We often tie in reading to our studies at night, or have my Ker practice her reading with us at that time. Maybe if you look at your actual reading time throughout the day, it is more than an hour and a half too?

What take 1 1/2 hours in school may only take you 20mins working one on one.

Exactly! When my dds were in ps, that 1 1/2 hours of reading actually ended up being anywhere between 5-15 minutes of actual reading time for each individual child. After volunteering in the classroom and seeing what was actually going on, I feel confident we are actually doing more than what they were doing in school. Science and History? Most of the time, they were lucky if they fit that in once per week in ps. Phonics? Non-existent in p.s. (in our experience, at least). I think the benefit of homeschooling is in the quality of time put into each subject vs. quantity. Comparing homeschool to an institutional school is like comparing apples to oranges, for the most part.

It sounds like you are doing well -- having three dc is a challenge to schedule -- combine where you can in content subjects.

The proof is in the pudding.;)

Evaluate and journal about your dc's progress, and then look back to see the proof. This is partly why I school 6 weeks on / one week off. That week off, I try to take a good sober look at what my dc have accomplished the last 6 weeks and decide what needs more focus for the next.

My oldest is not quite 7yo, and I have the same fears from time to time. When I look back at his work from a year ago, I am re-affirmed! I *try* not to compare my dc to other kids as a way to gain approval (in my own mind LOL), but look at their growth. Honestly, in some areas my oldest would flounder in a classroom and in others he would shine...that's one of the biggest reasons I HS.

I used to worry until my oldest 3 went back to ps. Now, no worries! I hear what they do each day and for these ages...you are fine. And, as a pp said...it's like comparing apples to oranges. Just got an email newsletter from Bravewriter about putting the "home" back in homeschool. Good read and a good reminder of what we are doing and WHY. Not all about academics...especially at that age. So much more about training hearts. Sadly, I didn't get that reminder soon enough :( My goal from here on out is to concentrate on attitudes, heart issues, training my kids to keep a home, respect one another and us, etc. Of course, we keep up with academics. But, homeschooling is so much more.

Evaluate and journal about your dc's progress, and then look back to see the proof. This is partly why I school 6 weeks on / one week off. That week off, I try to take a good sober look at what my dc have accomplished the last 6 weeks and decide what needs more focus for the next.

This is such good advice, and you don't have to do 6w on/1w off to use it. The last Sunday of each month is "evaluation meeting," and I think back on what we've done that month, and then ask dh if he has any observations. (I try to have him at least read my weekly reports, too). I also have my quarters marked and spend more time looking back at those points.

No, I never wonder. I see my kids' progress and their curiosity and delight in learning and I know we are doing fine. I'm not trying to replicate, compete with, or keep up with schools, so I don't compare what we do to what they do.

I have a ninth grader in PS. She's been in ps since 6th grade. The amount of stuff she HASN'T been taught is astounding. She's been in three schools (one closed, and the second one only went to 8th grade), and they have each been all about process and very little about content.

Tara

I used to be an elementary school teacher too. I know what you mean! During those times when I start to worry, I just remember WHY we scheduled an hour and a half for phonics or any instruction. Lots of kids to teach--all working at different rates and at different levels, needing to fill the time, disciplining too many children too often, getting interrupted by a million different things, and on and on. If your kids are learning well on 15 to 20 minutes of phonics or other instruction, don't sweat it.

My first grader is covering all of the basics during the day and I have often wondered the same things....Am I doing too much? Not enough? Then I became involved in a custody battle and had her tested. She is way above grade level. In addition, I had to put her into public school (this only lasted a week) and she was so far ahead and did so much more than they did at home in 1/4 of the time she was spending in school. We may spend less time. But we are covering individually tailored curricula... The payoff is ten fold