Menu

Sociology question

Dd#1 did this & used the Standard Deviants video. Unfortunately, it's been too many years for me to remember what else she used!

An FYI: If dc need to get cleared w/NCAA (sports), they don't accept CLEPs as having completed the credit. Dd had to use a hs level class from 8th grade to get all the "boxes checked" with them.

Edited by K-FL

My dd took the Sociology CLEP last October (Oct. 2009). She doesn't plan to major in Sociology, so she just wanted to take the test to fulfill a gened requirement. This is her quick method.

She studied for this test for two weeks, using:

- One month of instantcert.com (she only used it for 2 weeks of the month, and used the 2nd 2 weeks for US History I study). It costs $20/month. *Be sure you cancel before it renews automatically.

- The REA Sociology CLEP study guide w/CD. Amazon price is $23.07.

Here's how she studied.

1. She did the instantcert flashcards online three times, noting things she missed after the second and third times.

2. She read the study guide portion of the REA book.

3. She took, scored, and studied the two practice tests in the REA book. She used the CD and took the tests on the computer, to practice for the actual test setting.

We usually call one week ahead to our local college to reserve their *only* CLEP computer. If you haven't done CLEPs before, make sure you understand who to pay and how. At our local college she first pays for the test administration at the business office, then for the test itself at the library. Try to get there in plenty of time, and make plans for where to park or pick up your student.

Dd thought the Sociology CLEP was the easiest of the three she's taken. She passed with plenty of points to spare. YMMV - she has an excellent memory and is a very savvy test taker.

Best wishes to your Dd!

GardenMom

Instantcert is a worthwhile tool.

You can get a discount using code 85722.

The specific exam feedback is the most useful part of instantcert to us because we are able to keep abreast of how the various versions of exams differ and the experiences people have with them. There seems to be two main versions of the sociology exam. One is very close to the REA prep book and the other is focused on current statistics/trends.

Sandra

Thanks so much GardenMom for the CLEP advice. Her first CLEP will be this June after she has finished the psychology class she is currently taking. I had no idea how it all worked.

K-FL: Thanks for the NCAA advice. None of my dc play sports so for us it is not an issue.

Once again this board is a wealth of information!!! :001_smile:

Thanks so much GardenMom for the CLEP advice. Her first CLEP will be this June after she has finished the psychology class she is currently taking. I had no idea how it all worked.

You're welcome! I encourage your dd to study the instantcert flashcards and the REA Psych CLEP study guide for her Psych test as well.

GardenMom

The specific exam feedback is the most useful part of instantcert to us because we are able to keep abreast of how the various versions of exams differ and the experiences people have with them. There seems to be two main versions of the sociology exam. One is very close to the REA prep book and the other is focused on current statistics/trends.

Sandra

This is good to know - thank you, Sandra! My dd got the exam that was very similar to the REA prep book. How would you find and study for the information that is on current statistics/trends? Is that info on the instantcert flashcards as well?

GardenMom