Menu

singapore math

erinfontenot

Help! I was wondering what to use after we complete 6B?

Singapore Math has three different options:

New Elementary Math (NEM)- It is the most challenging of their programs, and would be similar in content to the Intensive Practice books. It takes a concept, explains it and quickly begins to apply it in new situations to make sure the child understands the base concept. The big down side of this program, for me, was that it only has answer keys for the first two levels. It isn't cost effective to produce what they have so more are not planned.

Discovering Math (DM)- This one is a little easier, providing more practice with a concept before moving to challenging material. One mom who bought all three programs felt the explanations in DM were better than NEM. The author has provided full answer keys for all the texts. This is the one I plan to use, because my kids are just not mathy enough to plow though NEM.

New Syllabus Math (NSM)- This one is supposed to be the easiest, with the most practice problems, though I haven't read much else about it.

There is a 4th program called New Math Counts, but I think I read that it is considered more of a supplement. Not sure why as I didn't read up on it much either.

Heather

We just started NEM after 6B. It was a jump but for my math minded son, it has challenged him which is what he needed. He is very bright and needed a challenge. He thinks it's hard but he only missed four problems the entire first week and 2 the second week. I also have him do some Life of Fred for more fun math and the combo if the two is really working well thus far. I don't think I'd attempt NEM with a non-math kind of kid. For my dd, we'll look at something else when that time comes.

Singapore Math has three different options:

New Elementary Math (NEM)- It is the most challenging of their programs, and would be similar in content to the Intensive Practice books. It takes a concept, explains it and quickly begins to apply it in new situations to make sure the child understands the base concept. The big down side of this program, for me, was that it only has answer keys for the first two levels. It isn't cost effective to produce what they have so more are not planned.

Heather

I am confused since think it shows teacher's manuals for NEW as well as solutions guides.

We have a long time before we get there (we are still finishing 1A) but I've been eying Russian Math 6 as part of a possible one year bridge after finishing PM.
This is an excellent choice for a child not ready to move into algebra, or as a transition from Primary Maths to an traditional language and logic based math program. Mathematics 6 has a more "mathy" feel than Singapore in terms of formal language and approach. It is elegant and logical, language based but not wordy. While Singapore excels conceptually, as it progresses through the primary sequence, I occasionally find the "simplified" visual explanations a bit tortured. An example is PM's approach to division by fractions. Compare this to the approach in Mathematics 6, which quickly and without fuss develops a simple proof showing that multiplying by the reciprocal is the same as dividing by a fraction.

(5/6)x = (2/3)

(5/6)/(5/6) x= (2/3) / (5/6)

x= (2/3) / (5/6)

(5/6) x = (2/3)

(6/5) * (5/6)x = (2/3) * (6/5)

x = (2/3) * (6/5)

(2/3) / (5/6) = (2/3) * (6/5)

I am confused since think it shows teacher's manuals for NEW as well as solutions guides.

I got out my NEM Syllabus D 1, and it looks like it works like the primary series. The Teacher's Manual is equal to the Textbook. The Workbook is, well the workbook, and the Solutions Manual would be like the solutions manual would be like the back of the HIG. They do have just the end answer to problems in the Teacher's Manual, but it is just the answer. The solutions manual tells you how it got to that answer step by step.

Heahter

Not than anyone cares, but as I am quickly approaching 6th... I suppose I should be looking into this! Here is my off the top of my head "plan" subject to change at any moment....

Complete Singapore 5-6 with Key to.. books and L of F. (this should be through next year)

Do L of F pre-algebra w/ Biology over this summer.

Move on to DM and Jacob's, when ready.

Does this make any sense? I do NOT like algebra. I was a geometry type of girl. I might even farm it out.

This is an excellent choice for a child not ready to move into algebra, or as a transition from Primary Maths to an traditional language and logic based math program. Mathematics 6 has a more "mathy" feel than Singapore in terms of formal language and approach. It is elegant and logical, language based but not wordy. While Singapore excels conceptually, as it progresses through the primary sequence, I occasionally find the "simplified" visual explanations a bit tortured. An example is PM's approach to division by fractions. Compare this to the approach in Mathematics 6, which quickly and without fuss develops a simple proof showing that multiplying by the reciprocal is the same as dividing by a fraction.

(5/6)x = (2/3)

(5/6)/(5/6) x= (2/3) / (5/6)

x= (2/3) / (5/6)

(5/6) x = (2/3)

(6/5) * (5/6)x = (2/3) * (6/5)

x = (2/3) * (6/5)

(2/3) / (5/6) = (2/3) * (6/5)

Thank you for the example Moira!

Bill

We are using Chalk Dust pre-algebra this year after completed 6B last year. I did not continue with Singapore because I wanted to follow regular math sequence here. Ds has been doing very well, and he is going to finish it next month. Chalk Dust is a rigorous program, and some people on this board use it. However, I find their word problems really lack depth. Disappointed by their word problems and lack of in-depth application of the principles taught in the textbook, I went to check out Singapore's DM and found that I like it much better.

I then ordered DM2, planning on using it along with Foester next year, only to find that many of the topics overlap with Chalk Dust pre-algebra. As I compare their approach on the same topics, again, I find DM to be superior in both presentation and depth.

There are Chalk Dust users here who just love the program, and I do think it's very thorough. But if you like how Singapore make your students think and apply what they learn, DM is a better choice, IMHO.

I also checked Russian Math 6 last year and liked it, but have not personally used it.