Menu

What do you do with your preschooler?

I started OPGTTR with my active 4 yo, just 5 minutes a day. It helps to do it at the same time every day. Either right after breakfast or right after lunch. I would do the lesson with her and then read aloud to her. (one year later she is reading btw!)

Mine has no pencil work until the very last few materials (ETC), which I think he'll get to at the end of the year, or next year in K.

Handwriting without Tears (recommended by my son's OT) has wooden blocks, playdoh and magnetic stamps.

My son only scribbles, too. He can't recognize or identify a single letter.

I think the "Same or Different" book is helping a lot with visual discrimination. So are the sequencing beads... he needs to really think about the shapes, colors, pictures etc to follow the pattern or find the ones that are the same/differenct.

Even before they know the letter, Same or Different asks them to find the same letter in the row.

EK EE FE EK

Which are the same?

BB BP BB DB

What two are the same? etc.

He can do the shape sorter now, although he doesn't do it so the numbers are upright (meaning he looking at only the shapes). But that clock, shape sorter has value for a lot of teaching skills: shape, color, size, numbers, telling time, counting, etc.

The materials I got are for a year or more of growth. :)

Can I be honest? I didn't structure anything for preschool beyond just being a mama who:

created a learning environment with lots of books, puzzles, art supplies and beneficial toys

and

spent time interacting with my children -- reading, playing, asking questions and answering questions.

I truly think that is all little ones need.

May I confess even more -- I understand most people will not agree with me, and that's okay. It's just that I've seen so many moms actually stressed about "preschool" and "kindergarten" (I'm not saying you are) and wonder if they can actually do it?

I am suspicious that preschool and kindergarten programs were created to serve as glorified daycare, and people slowly began thinking they were necessary. Along with that suspicion is just a gut feeling that academics are taken a little too seriously at too young an age.

There -- I said it.

Can I be honest? I didn't structure anything for preschool beyond just being a mama who:

created a learning environment with lots of books, puzzles, art supplies and beneficial toys

and

spent time interacting with my children -- reading, playing, asking questions and answering questions.

I truly think that is all little ones need.

May I confess even more -- I understand most people will not agree with me, and that's okay. It's just that I've seen so many moms actually stressed about "preschool" and "kindergarten" (I'm not saying you are) and wonder if they can actually do it?

I am suspicious that preschool and kindergarten programs were created to serve as glorified daycare, and people slowly began thinking they were necessary. Along with that suspicion is just a gut feeling that academics are taken a little too seriously at too young an age.

There -- I said it.

I agree with this - for normally developing children. I believe parents who were blessed with all healthy children would probably not see a need for teaching pre-reading and pre-writing skills. Healthy, "normal" (ohhh, I hate that word!) children, can often thrive without it, and in fact pick it up from their rich environments.

I was able to 'get away' with such a relaxed learning atmosphere for my oldest boys - I think I took for granted how easily they learned the basics. It wasn't until we saw the differences in learning with my youngest, that we agreed some children need the additional repitition, assistance, materials and instruction that some preK materials provide and walk parents through.

And for those children, and those parents, having the necessary tools sure is a blessing.

momma is just spread too thin! We read whenever we can, play educational games, read some more, count things, sing songs, etc. My ds6 (1st grade) never did any formal PreK or K work and is doing fine this year w/ 1st (except that he's really not a sit down and do this workbook type of kid!). Ds5 will start MFWK in Sept. I'm also doing FIAR w/ ds5 and ds6 after the baby comes and I'm back into the swing of things...just for fun. Planning to do BFIAR with my dd almost 3..again, just for fun. By Sept, she should be ready to do most of the oral parts of MFWK w/ ds5 (she's very bright). Perhaps she'll even be able to write a few letters! Other than that, I'm also planning OPG w/ both of them. Honestly, with a wiggle worm kind of kid (I have several of those!)...PreK should be very informal. Lots of playtime (contstructive playtime...no tv/video games), reading aloud, fun everyday math type activities (setting the table, pattern blocks, puzzles, coloring, cutting, pasting, etc.) and maybe some Kumon books (we have cutting and pasting).

My son is 4.5 years old. He draws when his older siblings draw and color. He pulls books off the shelf, including textbooks and "coffee table" books that are heavy on good photography. He sits in with the middle children (ages 7 & 9) when they do their math lessons and pretends to answer the questions. He is part of everything that the older children do and hears what they hear.

Our 2.5 year old does the same thing. She draws and colors, she "reads" books regardless of their age level. A few days ago she sat on a stack of encyclopedias while she held another encyclopedia. She spent more time struggling to keep the heavy thing on her lap than she did looking at the pictures. She tells us what the letters are in words. She sits in on the math lessons mentioned above and has recently answered a number of simple addition questions correctly.

We don't do a lot of individual studies in the early ages. Everyone is tossed together and discussions are shared. There are no books off-limits to any child (other than a few on a high shelf that are just for parents). They have free access to everything and are encouraged to participate.

For us, this is the ideal way to educate our young children. It works similarly to the concept of the one-room schoolhouse. The younger children can't help but pick up information that many would consider out of their grasp.

Horizons Preschool and read lots of books but not until this fall. Right now it's whatever floats his boat, cutting, coloring, pasting, terrorizing our dog, terrorizing me, playing outside, crashing cars together, imaginary play and an occasional movie or TV show (Scooby Doo or Curious George). He also plays ABCs with Starfall 1x a day.

older 3-4 year olds- Developing the Early Learner, Brighter Vision (if you can afford the monthly fee it's pretty nice), the first Rod and Staff preschool book towards mid-four...

4-5

Rod and Staff Preschool (these are really written for five year olds, so they pose motor challenge problems for young fours...but the first book is a nice start for a four year old)

MCP K Phonics

Singapore Earlybird math 1a, 1b (we will probably either do it in a few days or skip the first book but it's not too expensive)

I can't say enough about the Rod and Staff preschool and the Developing the Early Learner books. They are fantastic!! The DEL has really trained and helped my daughter with motor skills and listening skills, and pinpointed some areas she needs more attention. Since your ds is 3, going to be a young four, I think you're better off going with DEL. Then if he finishes those before the school year is over, move to Rod and Staff preschool. Also the last book of DEL is

Also Sonlight COre B is really fun and easy to do. We also love their pattern blocks kit that they sell. I can't remember if it's an add-on to Core B or included in Core B.

Another nice thing to have on hand is his own walkman and a nice set of Judy Rogers, Scripture Songs A to Z, and Twin Sisters CD's (they sing scripture songs...) if he is into music. You can also try to get audio books from the library and let him listen to those. In my dd's School Party, she is going to get her own walkman, so she can listen to more audio books and scripture CD's while I do school with big brother. This is not too expensive, because you'll use the library to get books now and then.

If you're budget is 50.00, I say the DEL and Pattern Blocks kit

If your budget is 100.00, I say DEL and Sonlight COre B and pattern Blocks Kit

If your budget is 150.00, add on the Scripture Song CD's and maybe one or two favorite audio books.

And for all preschoolers- the Busy Box- dollars store toys, play doh, paper, special crayons or markers, cheap stencils, whatever you can find for less than 2.00, fill it up and direct him to play with it now and then when doing school with older kids. Only let him play with it during school time.

Hope this helps!

From my blog (linked below) I've got pages for math activities, phonics activities, and preschool activity bags. Besides those, my dd did some Kumon workbooks and the About Three series from Rainbow Resource. Along with lots of reading and arts/crafts activities that was enough for us for "academics".

From there we've moved on to OPG, ETC, and RS math (which takes us a grand total of less than an hour about four days a week). She really loves workbooks so we keep a magazine holder with the Rod and Staff preschool series, a kumon workbook, and the never-bored kid book. She works in those whenever she feels like it.

I play with my preschooler.

We have Lauri puzzles, Melissa and Doug puzzles, Melissa and Doug spelling puzzles, blocks, marble run, wedgits, art supplies, a play kitchen, a dog, leap frog letter factory, little people farm, handwriting without tears letter pieces, lots of books from when I did BFIAR and FIAR and Sonlight K with her sister, attribute blocks, a mini trampoline, and such.

I pull out a few things each day for her to play with while I am doing school with the older two. I try to alternate between the kids. I also involve her in the household work with me. She is my little helper. She helps me make sandwiches for lunch, sort laundry, vacuum, make the beds and such. We do kids yoga together. We take long walks, go to the park, the zoo and museums. We also make time to sing kids songs with her.

Well for my 3rd daughter she went to our church's preschool this year. But its just a 3 day program for 2 hrs . And to her that just isn't enough school work :>)

So right now I have a Kumon workbook for her and am trying to decide on getting her R&S preschool series or the Horizons PreK . I've always been a hands on momma but she is my workbook child .

Other then the Kumon workbook right now and preschool . When she is home she colors , listens to stories , every once in a while an educational video like Leap Pad Talking Words Factory , lots of puzzles , cutting .

Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to do more PreK stuff with her or if she'll be ready for K stuff yet .

Decisions , decisions .

I have put some thought into what I should be doing with my dd (just turned 3 1/2). I think she'd do great sitting in on an older sibling's lessons. Since she's my oldest I had to come up with something else. She has been doing pre-reading and pre-writing activities from Montessori Read and Write whenever I think of it or she asks for it. For pre-reading we have been doing games which get her to think about the letter sounds in words. For pre-writing, she is using sandpaper letters. It has been a ton of fun and dd has learned a lot. We are about to move onto OPGTR. Both my 3yo and my 2yo love to play with our math manipulatives and use our various art supplies. I also have a few Williamson Little Hands books (Science Play, Math Play, Wow! I'm Reading!, and Alphabet Art). She likes to look through the books and pick out activities to do. We read lots of books, too, from her old board books all the way up to a few chapter books (like Little House in the Big Woods). Some other non-academic things we have been doing include learning simple household chores and getting outside as often as possible (though it's not happening much now since it is still winter here and I also have a 2yo and a newborn).

We decided to homeschool our children in part because we want to keep them challenged (in all aspects of life). Even though my dc are young now, I try to challenge all of them.

With my youngest, I did not do any formal curriculum but did use pieces of some. For example, we did some of BFIR and SL PK. I made sure she was read to a lot! She also listened to audio bks while playing, little to no T.V. (only movies). Lots of outside discovery play. I made sure she had access to block, toy animals/dinosaurs, sand, water, play dough, paints, crayons, paper, scissors, glue, etc. We also used cooking as a way to learn about measuring, heat, chemical reactions. I let her collect things and set up a table for her bugs, rocks, and plants.

I was fortunate that my oldest dd went to a great PreK program at a small private school. It was very nature and child based at the time. I learned a lot from watching and volunteering in the class room. It came in handy with dd #2 Fi :001_smile:

We do lots of playing with puzzels, wedgits, work bench with tools, cutting out of magazines, pasting, coloring, etc. However, I do start each day's seat work by working with my youngest child. I use Rod & Staff workbooks for a 4 year old, and before that use Kumon workbooks for mazes, tracing books, etc. I don't do this b/c I feel it is really necessary, but for the youngest child to feel a part of things. I taught my older two boys to write cursive and learn phonograms when they were 4 as well. They were ready! I'm expecting my 3rd son to be ready for this as well next fall.

My ds will be starting K in the fall. DD is 16 mos younger. Pretty much, I let her participate in whatever schoolish activities that interest her. The major items are listed in my siggy. If she is not interested, I let her "putz" with other, quiet activities (wedgits, lace ups, coloring, counters, puzzles, games). The only thing I absolutely require is sitting still for our Bible time (10-15 min).

It is interesting to me to see how their skills compare. DD is pretty much on pace with her bro in phonics skills, but she seems to be mystified by the numbers thing. She does not yet possess the fine motor control to begin handwriting, which I guess is normal. They both love memorizing.

I like to challenge them and make learning available. It is fascinating to me to see what and how they absorb, and they seem to enjoy it. On the other hand, there is a lot to be learned from playing and independent time, too. So we balance that.

ITA "unschooling" preschool works well. I personally was 6.5 before attending school, at grade one. (I already knew how to read well, and was reading easy chapter books). All through my elem ed course in college I heard that preschool and K were very important for children from families who did not give their children the kinds of experiences my mother did... reading aloud, interactive play, nature exploration.

HOWEVER... since I am homeschooling my older ds, the younger one clamors for school. With that in mind, I will be using WinterPromise's I'm Ready to Learn which is a very "pre-reading, pre-educational" program. It has lots of games, songs, rhymes, fingerplays, crafts, etc.

For my older ds I just bought R&S ABC preschool books and About Three preschool workbooks and used them loosely as desired.

I don't plan to spend lots of time or stress over preschool ever.