Menu

Lial's Beginning Algebra Questions/EPGY

Are solutions for any of the problems included with Lial's Beginning Algebra 10 edition or would I need to order a separate solutions manual. I think the textbook comes with two CDs, but I was not sure what is on them.

What about MyMathLab that can be ordered to go along with the text - what does that include and is it worth it?

Does anyone have experience with Stanford EPGY honors algebra? How did you like it? Do you have any advice for success in the class? Did you buy the textbook to go along with the class or just use the online material provided by EPGY?

Thanks,

Alice

the mathlab thing is for kids enrolled in class...I think there is a password or something needed from the instructor to gain access.

The best components to get are the digital video tutors, the solutions manual and the text. If you need answers to all the problems, you would probably need the "teachers" solution book...not sure I've ever seen one available, though.

Also, I believe Jann in TX (math expert) recommends the Introductory Algebra book over the Beginning Algebra book...can't remember why...maybe better layout...better explanations?

hth some,

Robin

the mathlab thing is for kids enrolled in class...I think there is a password or something needed from the instructor to gain access.

The best components to get are the digital video tutors, the solutions manual and the text. If you need answers to all the problems, you would probably need the "teachers" solution book...not sure I've ever seen one available, though.

Also, I believe Jann in TX (math expert) recommends the Introductory Algebra book over the Beginning Algebra book...can't remember why...maybe better layout...better explanations?

hth some,

Robin

It is my understanding that Beginning Algebra moves more quickly--written for the college student who has had intro to alg in high school but needs a review. Most high schoolers use Introductory Algebra.

Margaret Lial has 2 different series published by Pearson.

I personally prefer the LAYOUT of the one that has 'Introductory Algebra' for Algebra 1.

Both of these programs cover the SAME material--and some lessons/homework are even identical--but again I just like the layout of Intro a bit better (practice problems in sidebar--the fact that it is a larger text--so font is also larger...)

The 10th edition is the CURRENT edition for the Beginning Algebra series--so you will not find as many 'used' texts and the price will be half or more of retail.

On a high note they have IMPROVED the DVT (video lessons) for the more current editions and they even have the instructors working out solutions to some homework problems as well as TEST problems...

• Like 1

On a high note they have IMPROVED the DVT (video lessons) for the more current editions and they even have the instructors working out solutions to some homework problems as well as TEST problems...

Jann,

All of the test problems? How much instruction? Supplementing the book, or complete instruction of concepts? Are the DVTs improved for Intro. and Intermediate?

Thanks,

Susan

The TEACHING IS THE SAME--has been for years.

The format is the only difference. The paperback series was designed for CC use--because many students at that level need a more independent text... but the problems and TEACHING are at the same level.

I've used Intro with students from grades 7-12--And I've tutored students who used Beginning. I really do not think there is such a thing as an '8th grade' or '9th grade' Algebra 1 program...