Menu

Could a well-read 5th grader complete Lightning Literature 7th grade?

she would have had no problem finishing it, but I got busy and let it fall by the wayside.

We'll probably finish it this spring.

Language arts is this particular dd's strength-I probably will not introduce it to my younger dd in 5th grade.

I don't see why not. It's not a very difficult program. The one thing would be if she needs more instruction for the writing assignments. It isn't a writing program so it is only writing assignments, not so much instruction. But assuming you see the samples of the writing assignments and think she can do them, then the rest should be no problem.

The reading is not heavy (in quantity or content), and the writing is very adaptable. DS is using it young, and while he does lean toward the easier writing assignments, he has no trouble completing them and doing well. The workbook pages are not difficult. I agree with Heather that you might need to add writing instruction. The assignments are good, but there isn't much explicit teaching in that direction.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is if you want to continue on to LL&C 8 the following year, To Kill a Mockingbird is pretty heavy, and I know some parents would want to wait on that. On the other hand, it would be easy to skip a section without affecting the rest of the work.

Yes - Calvin is doing it now. He's not finding it hard and, as Erica said, the writing is adaptable. We are actually doing it over eighteen months, just because we are doing other English too and we won't have time to finish it in a year. If your child is up to the reading, I think it's a good choice.

Laura