Menu

Breakfast Muffin Recipe

I would like a breakfast muffin that's BIG on nutrition/energy and not in sugar/fat. Ideally, I would serve it with a banana (so no banana muffins, please) and milk or juice.

My dc get really hungry by mid-morning if I give them a lite breakfast so it needs to be hearty. But, I would love to have a bunch of muffins made in the freezer for a quick breakfast some mornings.

Anyone have a hearty & healthy recipe. Obviously, it should taste good too. :)

just brainstorming here b/c you haven't gotten a lot of replies:

Ever thought of making Ezekiel muffins (made out of beans & grains = great source of protein = sustainability)? Or just making regular apple, blueberry, zucchini, pumpkin (our fav), or strawberry but using an Ezekiel mix instead of just whole wheat flour - hmm...I think I just talked myself into that!

We love these from the King Arthur Whole Grain Baking book. Here's the nutritional information including the chocolate chips. There are 8 grams of protein. The fat content is relatively high, 14 g, but 10.5 g of this is from the peanut butter. There is 1 teaspoon of butter per muffin.

Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Muffins

2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour

1 t baking soda

1 t baking powder

1/2 t salt

4 T unsalted butter

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

3/4 cup peanut butter

1 1/2 t vanilla extract

2 large eggs

3/4 cup buttermilk

1 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 375º.

Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Cream together the butter and brown sugar until light. Add the peanut butter and mix until incorporated. Beat in the vanilla and eggs, one at a time. Scrape the sides of the bowl often. Add one-third of the dry ingredients and mix until moistened. Add half of the buttermilk, mix until combined. Add the remaining dry ingredients and remaining buttermilk. Scrape bowl and ensure even mixing. Add in the chocolate chips if using.

Scoop the batter into a prepared muffin pan. Bake until golden brown, 23-25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for five minutes, then turn out to complete cooling on a wire rack.

Edited by nmoira
correction

Here's the one I use:

2 C flour

1/2 C sugar

3 t baking powder

1/2 t salt

3/4 C milk

1/3 C oil

1 egg, beaten

Heat oven to 400deg. Grease bottoms only of 12 cups or line with paper. In bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well. In another bowl combine milk, oil, and egg. Beat well. Add to flour mixture all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moist. Divide into muffin cups.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.

I tweak this a bunch to make them healthier:

- Use up old bananas. Substitute 2-3 for some of the oil. I never measure it out exactly. I usually put in the bananas, mix/mash them up, then add some oil (or you could use applesauce) until the mix is not too thick but not too thin.

- I haven't tried this yet but you could use coconut oil as well.

- Add flax seeds to the mix.

- Sprinkle the top with oatmeal. Or add in some oatmeal to the mix.

- Use WW flour.

- For fun we like to put in a bit of mini chocolate chips. ;)

I also always double the recipe and make the muffins different sizes. Doubling makes 12 large muffins (I have the Wilton large muffin tin that makes 6). Then I stick 6 of them in the freezer for breakfast another morning. I also have a mini-muffin pan. I can get 6 large muffins or 12 regular size and then a tray of minis to snack on.

Apple-Oatmeal Muffins

3/4 cup milk

1/3 to 1/2 cup canola oil

one egg

1 cup self-rising flour (or plain flour plus 3 tsp. baking powder & 1 tsp. salt)

3/4 cup oatmeal

1/4 cup Hodgson Mill Multi-grain Hot Cereal, uncooked (Kroger has this) – If unavailable, substitute another brand or use 1/4 cup oat bran or wheat bran, or increase oatmeal to 1 cup

1/3 cup sugar

1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

1 cup chunky applesauce (Kroger has this)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Beat together milk, oil, and egg. Stir in flour, oatmeal, Multi-grain Hot Cereal, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon, and applesauce. Stir until moistened; batter will be a little lumpy. Fill greased muffin tin with batter. Sprinkle lightly with a mixture of cinnamon & sugar. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

I like King Arthur Flour's morning glory muffins....but only if you've got a food processor to grate the ingredients with!

Nutrition information per serving (1 muffin, 106g): 20g whole grains, 342 cal, 18g fat, 6g protein, 26g complex carbohydrates, 19g sugar, 4g dietary fiber, 53mg Cholesterol, 347mg sodium, 322mg potassium, 541RE vitamin A, 3mg vitamin C, 2mg iron, 47mg calcium, 131mg phosphorous.

I found a recipe on ALLRECIPES called Whole wheat Sweet potato Muffins. I read the reviews and made some alterations. Here is what we ended up with.

1 c oatmeal

1 c whole wheat flour

1 c pumpkin/sweet potato/squash

1/2 c ground flax seeds (I actually just dump some in but I think this is a close guess)

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1/4 tsp ground ginger

1/4 tsp ground cloves

1/4 c applesauce

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 c honey

1 6oz container yogurt or buttermilk

Mix ingredients (wet with wet, dry with dry and then combined)

Bake at 400 for about 12-15 minutes.

This is a very dense muffin but delicious. We add chocolate chips to ours, other suggestions were raisins or craisins.