Menu

Omnibus I, etc.

We have used Omnibus and really enjoyed it. Here is a list of things I liked/things that I thought weren't the greatest:

+the books, good selection and variety

+ the introduction to the books

+ discussion questions

- the writing didn't have enough instruction, there was some good ideas, but if your child still needs help with how to do the progymnasta and advanced essays you will have to supplement

-there is too much, don't try and do all the readings

-/+ Some of the discussion questions are from a reformed perspective, so you may not agree with the teacher's guide

+For the most part the teacher's guide was very helpful. They have answers to the discussion questions as well as the tests

+ Test with answers. They have tests for most of the books. The tests are a mix of short answer, multile choice and essay. They have answers for all the test including the essays.

I used Omnibus I through III with my dd's in 9th-11th/7th-9th grades.

My eldest had wanted to use the curriculum since she first saw it but I held her off until her sister was in 7th.

With that disclosure here are my thoughts:

1. Omnibus I was the first book VP did. It has way too much reading -- both Omnibus II & III are lighter.

2. The secondary readings definitely enhanced understanding of the primary readings.

3. Elder dd got far more out of the program because she was older, but younger dd got a lot too.

4. Never assume that your student will hate a particular book. I was really surprised by the ones that grabbed their interest.

5. It is unabashedly reformed theologically which will probably drive you up the wall if you aren't.

6. You need to read the books too and it is *really* hard to keep up but if you make it you'll learn a tremendous amount.

7. The text left my dd's and I wanting to read more by most of the authors -- Hitler in Omnibus III, we all agreed was *more* than enough and younger dd has an abiding dislike of R.C. Sproul whom elder dd loves.

8. I was really sorry that we couldn't go on to IV-VI but again eldest dd had her heart set on Senior English with Scholars Online and younger dd was ready for a change, too.

Let me know if you want more info, but do a search, it's been discussed quite often on these boards.

~Moira

We're currently using Omnibus I with a 7th grader. Without a doubt, it will take her 18 months to work through all of this material. There is great depth here, and it requires a mature thinker to really dig in and take what is presented beyond simple reading and into processing mode. She has enjoyed it--especially, I think, the fact that her dad and I are reading the books along with her, so it has become somewhat of a family project. We haven't agreed with everything present (the Sproul, for example) but it has sparked incredible discussions that I never would have just "happened upon" with a child.