Menu

Do colleges still produce paper catalogs?

Out of all of our college trips/inquiries and such of the last 2 years, only one college has given us a full school catalog. The rest had "pamplets" on different aspects of their school such as a particular major/department, honors program, study abroad... and then referred us online for more info.

My daughter's college makes you come get one, but the put them around the campus in convenient places. They mailed one with her acceptance, which was nice. She's a sophomore. Of the dozen colleges she asked for info, only two sent catalogs; none came unless we made specific requests.

For current senior son I've recieved print copies from all the colleges I asked for, except the big ones. One included it in a info packet. You'd think that cutting back would be the norm, but he is looking at different types of schools. No rhyme or reason re: public vs. private, except that more private did send catalogues to my daughter.

LBS

PS I could not bear to throw away all the beautiful material, so took it to our public school and they piled it up and had it on hand for students to look through, in the following year. Some of the art school materials are so gorgeous I was just not able to simply throw it away, so was glad for it to get enjoyed more. (I'm a piler, not a filer, can you tell?)

It seems like a shame to me. I received many college catalogs after receiving a decent score on the ACT, and I loved looking through them. We are still a few years away, but how do colleges reach out to desirable students now? Or do they? Here's to hoping my ds is "desirable" when the time comes!

It seems like a shame to me. I received many college catalogs after receiving a decent score on the ACT, and I loved looking through them. We are still a few years away, but how do colleges reach out to desirable students now? Or do they? Here's to hoping my ds is "desirable" when the time comes!

My son received a ton of postcards and pamplets via snail mail and an equal amount of emails - unbelievable amount of them. You could always tell when the test scores became available...

My dd does receive a lot of postcards/pamphlets via snail-mail, but by far the greatest volume of contact comes through email. The colleges send email, after email after email with all kinds of links to different things within the body of the email.

Believe it or not, some colleges do still contact by telephone! Dd has received several calls from Christian colleges, but none from the secular schools. We find that interesting.

I, personally, would love it if these schools would send catalogs as I prefer looking through a print book, but I can also understand the cost involved. Even our local community college has only a few print versions available. Dh is an adjunct professor there, so was able to get one for me to look at, but he had to sign it out and promise to bring it back by a certain date (like a library). And, it was only available to the professors; not parents or students.

Now, the college my older dd attends does have a print catalog that they issue to all Freshman. I don't know if she received another one at the beginning of this year or not.

My daughter was inundated by snail mail, gorgeous catalogs from art schools. She got a fair amount of e-mail, VIP applications. She got immediate scholarships, due to high GPA, that came in the first letters from many schools. Her name was published in the paper, I'm not sure of all the ways they got her name, but they did. Maybe four universities called, and she even got some alumni invites, and one call.

Two years later, this year, my son has gotten huge, huge quanitities of e-mail, and same amount of snail mail...not sure if from SATs/CollegeBoard connections, Princeton, or what....fewer gorgeous catalogs, but he's an engineering guy, not an art major. The state/public schools that get 20,000 apps for 500 spots (exagerating) send, by far, less material in the mail, and more via e-mail.... Only now that the last apps are due (latest is about 2/1 though some are 3/1 and many are rolling) the mail has let up. We did two of the VIP apps just for practice. He did not get invited to any teas, or such, by any alum, darn it. :001_rolleyes: If they'd sent him football tickets, now that would have been a winner. Daughter just had a good laugh at going to a tea. My disrespectful children.

I'm glad to see all the print material, but we did the best research online, I gotta admit.

LBS

My daughter's college sent a view book. However, for the first time this year, the college no longer prints a catalog which I find a shame. I found it very helpful to look, on paper, at what different colleges required for a degree in a given major. Call me a Luddite, but paper catalogs definitely have their place!

As an aside, we were quite amused by the view books. Photographs were invariably taken in the fall (think fall leaves) and always contained pictures of multi-cultural students (even when the actual percentage of those students was much smaller than represented photographically!).

Regards,

Kareni

My daughter got invited to a football game, but she would have had to buy the ticket herself. Apparently there's some rule against giving away football tickets.

Is that college specific, or something having to do with the NCAA?

We've only gotten one catalog.

Of the schools which I researched when looking into my current post-baccalaureate certification program, only one did (out of three) and I have to tell you, it's priceless to actually have a real, printed catalog in hand to study! I just cannot read everything off the internet.

Putting everything on the internet seems to be the trend, but I think that's a mistake. Some things still need to be in print, and this is one of them. :)