Menu

Book Rec: The Unlikely Disciple

Moira in MA

I second this recommendation of Kevin Roose's The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University. My then senior daughter and I both read and enjoyed this last year.

I thought that the author, who wrote this after his sophomore year experience at Liberty University while on leave from Brown University, did a fine job of showing both the pluses and minuses of his time at Liberty. I think that both liberal and conservative parents and their older teens would find this an informative read.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks for the book idea! I just put it on Amazon wish list. Ds is planning to attend a Christian University in the fall (not Liberty); this might be an interesting book for him (and me) to read to see how others might see us. Might be good for our pastoral staff at church as well!

Blessings,

April

Thanks for this recommendation. My dd is trying to decided between a Christian University this fall, and a secular liberal arts college. This could be a real boon.

Also......we have several homeschooling friends that are of the very conservative genre and are only considering the "Liberty" type of colleges for their children. I am thinking that this book might be a very good high school graduation present for them. What do you think?

My DS and I just finished reading this book. We both found many laughs in the book and it also lead to some excellent discussions too. He is not considering a Christian University but has friends who are either going there by choice or being forced to go there.

As Kareni stated, it was an informative read and I have recommended it to others about to embark on college life. It was entertaining, an easy and quick read and certainly seems that college boys have not changed much in 30 years.

Carole

Also......we have several homeschooling friends that are of the very conservative genre and are only considering the "Liberty" type of colleges for their children. I am thinking that this book might be a very good high school graduation present for them. What do you think?

I'm torn as to whether this would be a good choice or not. I do think the author's presentation is very even handed; however, it is possible (likely) that someone who is conservative could still be quite shocked as to some of the things that do go on at Liberty (and I suspect at other conservative colleges). I don't believe I'd recommend giving it as a gift (unless you read it yourself and decide otherwise); however, I would certainly suggest strongly that parent and child both read and discuss the book.

Regards,

Kareni