Menu

s/o of which kitchenaid would you buy: Would you buy a refurb from KA?

Ok all,

I was browsing kitchenaid's website and saw that they currently have these two available as refurbished and they are a really good price. Would you buy one of these.

Refurbished Pro 5 Plusis $219 and oly available in white or blue

Refurbished Pro 5 heavy duty is $199 and only available in red or black.

My mom has a refurbished 4.5 qt that she bought at the outlet mall in WI and it's worked fine for 15 years.

I really would like white instead of black or red, and like that the paddle and dough hook on the Pro 5 plus are coated so I could put them in the dishwasher, but would love some input from the hive about whether you'd buy a refurbished model or not.

Well, I don't know about KA, but we've bought lots of things refurbed. Our Macbookpro, a dishwasher, lawn mower, etc.

I was told by one dealer that if something is returned and can't be sold as new, then it's called refurbished. Our lawn mower was in perfect shape, it was just too heavy for the older lady who bought it first.

So, from experience, I'd buy one refurbished!

Yes, we bought a refurbished five years ago. It's the Artisan tilt-head. My dh lucked up on one on Christmas Eve for $125 including shipping on Amazon. Best late Christmas present ever!! It came on the 26th. He was so proud of himself because he knew I wanted one, but we really couldn't swing the cost.

After having such good luck with this, we've bought a refurbished Cuisinart Griddler - works great! I'm looking to get a refurbished mp3 player at the end of the month.

HTH,

Melissa

Are you going to be making bread or anything really heavy? Do you need extra large capacity? I got by for 18 years on my small, tilt-head Kitchen-Aid (which still works and looks great). I got into bread baking and bought the big Professional series 600class heavy duty - it is also awesome. But the big one is too big for things like mashed potatoes or whipping cream or cake mixes for a family of 4. Just food for thought.

Are you going to be making bread or anything really heavy? Do you need extra large capacity? I got by for 18 years on my small, tilt-head Kitchen-Aid (which still works and looks great). I got into bread baking and bought the big Professional series 600class heavy duty - it is also awesome. But the big one is too big for things like mashed potatoes or whipping cream or cake mixes for a family of 4. Just food for thought.

Thanks for the tips Shelly. I'm really not planning to make any bread. I tried that for a while and even had a Bosch mixer to do it with. I wasn't a fan of the Bosch's center post and discovered that making bread is just not my thing. So the most I would do that way would be a single loaf for special occasions maybe 2-3 times a year.

I'm really starting to think I should go with the cuisinart mixer instead. It's 5.5qts and 800 watts. UGH I hate having to decide on things like this.

Thanks to all that gave me input on my new mixer decision. I finally made up my mind and picked the Kitchenaid 5qt Professional Plus in Imperial Gray. I thought I'd want white, but the gray is a nice dark color and a matte finish so that should help hide fingerprint marks and the like.

I decided to buy new because after a rebate my total cost through amazon will be $256.94. The refurbished one would have been white and would have been $219 plus $13 for shipping so in the end would have only saved me $24.94 and my warranty would have only been 6 months instead of a year.

It should be delivered Wednesday (I have prime shipping through amazon so didn't have to pay anything for 2 day delivery)

I also picked up a KA blender in metallic grey, they didn't have an exact match for color but I think it will be ok.

So what do you think I should make first when I get it?

would it be OK for a family of 7? Or still too large.

Thanks to all that gave me input on my new mixer decision. I finally made up my mind and picked the Kitchenaid 5qt Professional Plus in Imperial Gray. I thought I'd want white, but the gray is a nice dark color and a matte finish so that should help hide fingerprint marks and the like.

I decided to buy new because after a rebate my total cost through amazon will be $256.94. The refurbished one would have been white and would have been $219 plus $13 for shipping so in the end would have only saved me $24.94 and my warranty would have only been 6 months instead of a year.

It should be delivered Wednesday (I have prime shipping through amazon so didn't have to pay anything for 2 day delivery)

I also picked up a KA blender in metallic grey, they didn't have an exact match for color but I think it will be ok.

Everything! I find all kinds of reasons to use mine! Also remember the book has some recipes. Also if you do a search there is a few board devoted to KA and they have tons of recipes! Have fun.

I want this model but in the blue willow color (not rebated on amazon and already gone from the outlet site. :(