Menu

Anyone know anything about UNC Asheville

Ruth in NC

At the last minute my daughter has applied to UNC Asheville because Chapel Hill and NCSU are just too big for her. She should get in easily with her scores and CC classes. She is interested in wildlife biology. The culture of Asheville is certainly a good fit for her but we can't find anyone who knows anything about the school. We will visit before she decides to go there but I'm just looking for some information.

Thanks for any info.

Ruth in NC

Edited by Ruth in NC
sloppy writing

Anyone know if UNC Asheville requires an accredited high school diploma? I was thinking they would be a perfect backup school for dd. I think they would be lucky to get her :). I was shocked to see they specified accredited on one of their current admissions links.

http://www.unca.edu/admissions/prospective/f/faqs.html

Anyone know if this is accurate?

I am from a town that is not too far from Asheville, but I don't know too much about UNC-A, itself. I personally know two students who attended/are attending there. One of them was a Creative Writing major, and I was not too impressed with her final project (which her mom allowed me to read), which earned an A. That may or may not say anything about the English Department. The other student is a Classics major - quite bright - and seems to enjoy his classes thus far.

As for the need for a transcript from an accredited school, I am positive that many homeschool students from our area are students there (one of the ones I mentioned above was a homeschooler), so they must make some sort of allowance for homeschool transcripts. Contact their admissions directly and ask them about it.

Thanks for your response, MomofGals. I've heard back from the admissions office already. I need to send a copy of my card showing that we are an officially registered homeschool with the state of NC. I was surprised their website specified an accredited diploma when Chapel Hill doesn't even require high school accredidation.

My SIL went to UNC Asheville, but it's been awhile (she graduated maybe 8 or 9 years ago?) I don't know a lot about it, but I know she had a good experience there. She majored in environmental studies and works as a naturalist at a nature center near us, so a similar field to what your daughter is interested in. I can ask her if she'd mind if I pass her e-mail address along to you or your daughter if you're interested.