Menu

Books for preschool human body study

Dhahabu

Hi All,

I'm wanting to do a study on the human body with my 4yo ds. I've searched through the posts on this site and found some great suggestions but have never seen the book Everybody has a Body by Robert Rockwell suggested even though (as far as I remember!) it is recommended in WTM. It doesn't get great reviews on Amazon either. Does anyone have experience with this book and if so would you recommend it for this age group? Any other suggestions on practical books or literature based studies on the human body would be very welcome!

Thanks, Julie

I am currently doing a human body unit with my 5 year old K-er and my 4 year old pre-K-er. I hope to write it all up for my blog once we finish, but I can tell you that we have really enjoyed a couple of books already. They are

The First Human Body Encyclopedia (Dorling Kindersley)

and

Janice VanCleave's Play and Find Out about the Human Body

The first is obviously an encyclopeida, but it is very visually appealing with huge pictures, etc., and snippets of information. The second is basically a book of easy experiments.

My girls are loving this so far!

Again, eventually I'll have a post about it on my blog, too. :tongue_smilie:

My 3-almost-4-yo loves the Magic School Bus books "Inside the Body" and ... another one about the senses... I can't remember the exact name. In "Inside the Body," the bus shrinks and a boy from the class eats it accidentally... It covers the digestive system, the circulatory system, the nervous system, and a little about the pulmonary system.

Dd went through the more advanced (not junior) human body books in the junior non-fic, the Eyewitness/DK ones, plus some let's-read-and-find-out books, the Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body, and a lot of online content (like bacteria multiplying), and we're going through the Magic School Bus Human Body experiment kit now (by Young Scientists' Club). Oh, we also have "Uncover the Human Body." Got it at Costco! We also drew up, cut out, colored, and labeled the digestive system (her favorite) and put it on the wall. The MSB experiment kit also comes with a basic anatomy wall poster and body part stickers.

Edited by LittleIzumi

i think there is a Magic School Bus book about the heart? maybe even more??

r

I think the original ones that are so much better was The Five Senses. Musta read it outloud 50 times. I think I finally hid it.

Kiddo liked:

http://www.amazon.com/Gross-Anatomy-Off-Color-Coloring-Book/dp/0679881875/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264303543&sr=1-1

Off color does not refer to sex, but infected tonsils and vomiting.

Try looking at Usborne books, e.g.

http://www.amazon.com/Flip-Flap-Body-Usborne-Flaps/dp/074603363X/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264303665&sr=1-5

The body book others is mentioning is wonderful. Be prepared to do it every weekend for a month.

When my son was four he would have loved "Everybody Poops" and "The Gas We Pass" but that's probably not what you were thinking. :lol:

The Flip Flap Body Book is really great. There are some other Usborne books (I think part of their First Science series) that address the body. Why Do People Get Sick? is one title, I think.