Menu

Hair idea needed!

I need an idea of what to do with my teen daughter's hair for the commemoration of Jesus. We got her a nice outfit outside her original comfort zone but she looks SO much better (instead of like a sloppy 10yo or a little old lady).

But her hair!

She doesn't want to cut it or anything so I'm stuck with what I can manage to do with styling products at home. (She had wanted to go ahead and perm it but that isn't in the budget).

SHe has long, one length, very straight hair that is EXTREMELY thick. Generally, she just wears it down just like all young women in the early 70's seemed to (she looks just like pics of my mom from that time period).

I thought about a simple french braid. I wish I had a clue about any kind of up-do though she doesn't like "big hair."

This is a child we really have to encourage to be a little more sophisticated (my mom says we have to start her considering things about 3 years before we hope she'll do it herself). She's just a bit eccentric. A friend took her shopping and got some age appropriate, in-style dresses including the one she's wearing to the Memorial of Christ Jesus. My mom is hoping we even get a little makeup on her (just a little). With her new wardrobe, she's a little more willing to try (even mentioned putting on earrings!).

But I'm just looking at ALL that hair and wondering if I really can do anything with it.

Do you know how to do them? I would experiment beforehand, some kinds of hair are easier to do damp and others dry, but if you do it dry, spritz it with water afterwards to hold it.

You could also just pull it back from her face - the top half and put that section in a barette or ponytail.

Another thing I think is pretty is to do two little braids, one on each side, with the hair right at the temples, and then connect the two braids at the back of her head.

She may be more comfortable if most of it is still long and loose, if that is what she is used to.

SHe has long, one length, very straight hair that is EXTREMELY thick. Generally, she just wears it down just like all young women in the early 70's seemed to (she looks just like pics of my mom from that time period).

She couldn't do a French braid--it was just too heavy. The only thing she could do with it is put the front up in a barrette. (It had to be a sturdy barrette.) It looked very classy and grown-up that way, but it was all she could do with it.

Anyway, if your daughter's hair isn't quite so heavy, you and she could look here for ideas. She might get inspired.