Menu

Opinions on Math-U-See higher math

seewah

Next year, my oldest will be entering the world of pre-algebra. He has used MUS for the last 3 or 4 years and has done very well. Should we just continue on in MUS for higher math? On one hand, I want to make sure it is a rigorous math program ... on the other hand, my son's bent is writing/language/grammar, so do I need to worry about the math being extremely challenging?

I'd love to hear what you have used for pre-algebra and above if you have used MUS for elementary math.

BTW, we are also using Life of Fred and Challenging Word Problems to supplement. He is currently using LoF Fractions and will start LoF Decimals and Percents when he finishes the first book.

I also learned this week that the honors level pages in the upper level MUS books are now included in the regular texts.

Thanks for your opinions! :)

Wow, this is *exactly* where I am at with my dd. I looked at a few different pre-alg programs, but after comparing their scope/sequences with MUS, I have decided to stick with MUS for pre-alg. I figure it's the end of the sequence, and I want to be sure she covers everything in it. My dd also has done well with MUS combined with Life of Fred.

You touch on an interesting point...that MUS is often criticized as being too easy or not rigorous enough. Steve Demme disputes this, and I've read lots of stuff with opinions on both sides. Basically all I've done is deferred that decision for one more year, when we hit algebra. ;)

Imo, there are lots of things to consider: the student's learning style and math proclivities, budget, ability of the parent to teach any given program, and standardized test scores (to give a better picture of how well the student is doing). Each person will give more or less weight to these when deciding. It is such a hard decision! Gah!

Good luck!

My ds is using MUS Algebra now (8th grade). He has been using MUS since Gamma, and did LOF Fractions and Decimals. Originally I tried to just do LOF Algebra this year, but he just couldn't get it, so I ordered MUS Algebra. He was so happy to have Steve back! My plan is to finish the MUS book and then go back to LOF. I will probably flip-flop between the two programs for the rest of the higher maths.

I have read the negative reviews about MUS at the higher levels, and worried about whether it was "good enough". DS is not a math person though, and MUS really works for him. It breaks the information down into manageble chunks.

Amy

You touch on an interesting point...that MUS is often criticized as being too easy or not rigorous enough. Steve Demme disputes this, and I've read lots of stuff with opinions on both sides.

Yes, this topic can be hotly debated here.

I used MUS from K through Algebra. We supplemented with Singapore's CWP as well. In 7th grade, we used MUS Algebra + LoF Algebra. MUS was easy-peasy, LoF was challenging. This year, 8th grade, we are using Foerster's Algebra. It is very rigorous. I love it. If I could do it all over again, I would not have bothered with MUS Algebra, maybe not even MUS Pre-Algebra. I think Lial's BCM would have been a better choice.

Here is one post I wrote about the difference between MUS and Foerster's. Follow the link in it as well for more information.

My personal opinion is that MUS is not a good choice for any student who is headed for math/science/engineering. There are people who would disagree with me. I think it's probably fine for students not heading into those fields, especially if they are starting Algebra in 7th or 8th grade, but I would not consider MUS rigorous in the high school levels. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Personally, I consider what we used sub-par. OTOH, we did not use the Honors supplement that is now included. Maybe it's up to par now. I just don't know. I would say it's questionable.

On one hand, I want to make sure it is a rigorous math program ... on the other hand, my son's bent is writing/language/grammar, so do I need to worry about the math being extremely challenging?

That's the $1,000,000 question isn't it? I personally do not see a need for math to be extremely challenging for a student with a writing/language/grammar bent. My ds's bent is math (guess what my degree is in?). OTOH, I want my son to be challenged in his LA studies in high school. We will even work harder on writing in high school than some students for whom writing comes easy. But, I doubt we will achieve the great books studies some here accomplish. I guess we all have to find the right balance.

I wish you the best in your decision.

P.S. If your ds does well with LoF, that would be more rigorous than MUS.

Edited by Sue in St Pete
trying to sound kinder/gentler (raging hormones here)