Menu

Videotext Algebra, any negatives or comments please

I am considering this program, in addition to EPGY for my DD, especially since it goes through Algebra II (EPGY OE only goes through Intro. to Algebra). She has become very comfortable with online presentation over the last year and a half and would like to continue with that format. EPGY is very independent and I would like something that I can also follow and understand as we move into the higher math. I would greatly appreciate any input, we need to make a decision soon.

Edited by melmichigan

We are just starting it with DS11.

It's doesn't get alot of "talk" about it. I probably would have never looked at it, except somehow got wrangled into a presentation at a HS convention. The guy was good at his job, and he made sense to me.

DS11 will start on Monday. We just watched the "intro" today, together. Reminded me again while I first liked it.

We'll see how it goes, though.

We did not like VideoText. I thought it was going to be wonderful, especially for my visual spatial son. But my son had trouble applying the concepts he (supposedly) learned in the video and he also had trouble remembering the material for the test. There was no built in review.

We switched back to Jacobs and it was smooth sailing from then on. I know that there are others that have had tremendous success with VideoText, but we weren't among them.

I think ... Anyway, he did a traditional pre-Alg textbook in 6th and then dove in this year with Videotext - he's now on Module D (out of 6 modules total, I think, for pre-Alg, Alg 1 & 2).

For him, it's a great fit. Short lessons - apply it, quiz, unit test and move on. He is very science, math and music oriented. An independent worker too - I had to help him some in Module C though.

That all being said - I probably won't use it with my 2 5th graders - They are not like my oldest who is so extremely math oriented. My girl will need more teaching, I believe, and more review.

Just our experience ... only for academic, extremely self motivated and independent science/math oriented kids. Now, if your kids are a bit older, they might not need to be so extreme. Just my two cents and my take on it ... hope this helps.

Oh, and I am extremely horrible at id'g my kids learning styles - I don't know visial-spatial from the back of my hand (does that even make sense??). Anyway, I have no idea what you call my kids ... I guess I am just not geared that way to find out or research that one. Not sure why. Anyway, moving on!

Why not buy the CD version of Videotext? It's around used quite often. The good thing is, you can purchase by modules, so you don't have to drop alot of $$ for the whole thing.

I just bought Mod A for $50 from the Swap board here, while I had been able to get Mod B and Mod C from Ebay for a little over $40.00 each.

That's as far as I am purchasing for now, until I see how it goes with DS11.

As far as no review, hmm, overall Algebra IS review, review, review. Learn a concept, apply it to a problem, apply the same concept to a "harder" problem, etc. So if you learn a concept, every time you use it, it's review.

Here's how Videotext recommends their program:

1. Watch the lesson, then do only half of the problems that day. Actually, they recommend you do 4-5 problems, then STOP, check those to make sure you are getting it, if so, do the rest of the ones for that day, either all evens or odds.

2. If you got all of those, great, move on OR if not, next day, work on evens/odds.

3. Before the following lesson, the next day, take a short quiz on the previous lesson. There's two quizzes for each lesson, so repeat if necessary, or save one for review later.

They have a 1-800 for math assistance if needed.

The fact that I have a solutions manual, a note manual (ie notes on the lesson) for reference for both myself and DS to utilize is something I am happy about. The solutions have every step broken down, so both you and student can compare their work to see where it went wrong, if needed.

DS11 is that student that someone else talked about...very math-oriented, logical, so I think VT will work perfectly for him. crossing fingers!

not enough problems. Good overview on the video, it all makes sense but the kids (mine anyway) had a difficult time mastering concepts when it came down to thier doing it on their own.

My 15yo and 17yo agree. They both went through VT and I was just asking their opinion since my next ds will be ready for it in the fall. My 17yodd had to borrow another Algebra text for review. My 15ds did not need the review, but he is a natural at math.So....my two teens, who have both completed VT, say use it for the students who love math, "get it" easily, and rarely need review. For my 12ds, who ranks math as his least favorite subject, my teens are suggesting that I find another program.

There you have it....advice from teenagers.;)

HTH,

Leanna

It didn't go well over here. Didn't like the quizzes every day, the non-traditional format (we like full Algebra 1 and 2 programs, works better to get two full passes at algebra). Also, test spacing was strange, one test had 60-70 questions. We went almost a whole semester without a test because we took more time because we were stuck (and we got stuck a lot). Had to borrow another algebra program over the summer to clean up the mess.

We switched to VideoText a couple of months ago because my DD was having a hard time with another program. She LOVES VT!!! I'm really thrilled she has this program and she is learning a lot. A couple of times she had a problem with a lesson and we didn't move on until she mastered the concept. I also want to add that my DD wasn't a "math person", but now loves to do math and understands it.

Good Luck!

A friend of mine had great success with VT with her not-mathy dd. She's currently using it with her 2nd dd who's in 6th (starting with the pre-Algebra modules) - it's probably too early to assess, but my friend anticipating success based on her older dd.

Personally, I don't think it's my cuppa. This may be because I manned a booth at a hsing show across from theirs and got totally sick of looking at the talking heads giving the lessons. :tongue_smilie: I'm planning on Foerster's right now, probably with the Math without Borders CD-ROMs, but really I have no idea what will actually work!

... but no program is good for all students. If possible, give your students a chance to view the sampler and see what they think.

My 11th grader, now in Trig, did very well with VT for Algebra 1 and 2, and as he was working through a physics problem with my (literally) rocket scientist husband, I overheard my husband compliment my son on his grasp of Algebra.

I was pleased since he took Geometry last year, which means the Algebra has stayed with him since finishing it in 9th grade.

Ds did VT for Algebra 1 and 2, then did VT Geometry through module D (all that was available at the time.) He then went straight into EPGY Honors Precalculus and did great--he placed halfway into the course.

The one downside of VT Algebra is the application problems don't require enough thought. You might look for a supplement that emphasizes problem solving skills. Not sure what to recommend as we used Singapore's NEM series for this, but then we had done Singapore for elementary so it was natural to continue.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Subbing because I'm considering this course for my dd when we are done with Righstart. I will say that I went to a presentation the VT author did at a HS conference and he was very well-spoken and funny and really had me hooked on checking into his program further. Two of the biggest things he stressed in his presentation are how important it is for kids to truly understand math and also to believe that they can do it (how many people believed they were no good at math but then really clicked with it when hs'ing their kids and realized they didn't really suck at math after all!). He wants kids to believe they can do it and to understand why things are the way they are in math. If his program is based on that philosophy then I'm hoping it'll be a hit with dd.

My son had struggled with math for years, and VT was a turnaround point for him. Many people mention the lack of review, but I find that the majority of people who say that did not complete the entire course. I thought the same at first, btw, because the built-in review aspect doesn't fully kick in until Module B. So, my advice is to slow down in Module A and be sure to use the supplemental problems available at the website. I also think that students should keep a math notebook, but agree with the author that they should not take notes during lectures. My son did an entry in his notebook first thing every morning over the material covered in the previous day's lesson.

FWIW, my son has graduated hs, and is now taking his third math course at CC (college level, not remedial courses) and is doing well. He took college algebra at the CC while still in high school, and his instructor was impressed with his ability to explain the how's and why's of solving problems. One of his classmates was a hs mom who was also impressed; both asked what he'd used at home.

That said, ITA with the suggestion to do supplemental problem solving work if for no other reason than to offer a different perspective. One of the things I would do over again, if I could, would to be to do more second/third sourcing with math. I once had to pull all my curriculum out of the closet and stack it in one place temporarily. I sorted it by subject and noticed that I had tons of supplemental material for language arts and science, but very little for math.

Before making a decision to go with VT I'd want to know if they still plan to sell the modules with dvd's. I don't think I'd choose the online version, but YMMV.

HTH,

Martha