Menu

If you were once a public school teacher, did you have to have a TB skin test? (more

In California it's required. In fact, a very pro-home schooling lawyer I knew (her sister home schooled all of her children) believed that according to the way the law was written, it was technically even required of home schooling parents (though just to be kept on file, not turned in). I didn't know anyone who actually *did* that, lol, and she didn't even necessarily recommend it -- it was just an observation.

Dh isn't sure how often but I think it is somewhere around every 5-6 years he has to have one as a condition of his teaching contract. It isn't a big deal and yes, he goes to his Doctor. The first time I think we didn't have insurance yet and we went to a clinic??

Actually at some schools in Washington it is required (I taught both public and private schools so maybe it was the private school?). I test positive for TB (I was raised in Asia) and no one told me for 10 years that it is BAD for me to get the TB test. You can just call your Dr. and ask them to schedule the test for you at the lab or to have just a "nurse visit" (you shouldn't have to pay for an actual Dr's office visit).

It's a very common requirement when you're going to be working with groups of children. It's pretty straightforward. I had to have it done when I was staying with my mom for more than a month last summer, because she's a foster parent. I just had it done at a pharmacy, cost ten dollars I think.