Menu

RE: Winter Promise Sky and Sea ??

Julie

To buy or not to buy, help please. Tell me why you like or dislike this or any other Winter Promise program

I am considering purchasing this off the WTM used board for next year as a pose to Sonlight, I am currently doing 5. I am looking for more than just reading, and Q and A, which is all I feel we are getting out of Sonlight. Our family needs more activities and hands on. If anyone can give me a reason NOT to buy this I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

Julie

I won't be telling you any reasons not to buy it!!!

I am a WinterPromise fan, through and through. We're 3/4 finished with Animals and Their Worlds and LA1. I have a closet full of American Story 1, World Around Me Science, and I'm Ready to Learn preschool.

My biggest love about WP programs are their broad appeal. My ds is artistic, visual, techy... they have that and more. I'm a book lover... they have great books.

What's not to like?

The only possible slight objection I've ever heard about S&S (and I avidly read their forum and yahoo group daily) is that a few of the readers can be a bit mature or graphic for younger fourth graders. Every single review I've read has been a rave, except for that one tidbit.

Karen Brooks, co-owner of WP recently gave it a great plug which made me re-think my future plans in favor of doing S&S earlier in my ds's hs sequence. She said it's a great overview of world history from the perspective of technology... which gets at the "whys" of lots of historical periods, like why the colonization of the Americas happened when it did. She said it's a wonderful lead-in to a sequence of Ancient History, then Middle Ages and so on.

So now I will likely be doing S&S as soon as we finish Amer Story 1 and 2.

We are doing Sea and Sky right now with 2 - 9 year old girls and one 10 year old boy. We, as in my sister-in-law and I. The kids are enjoying it. I liked American Story better, but I think that is because I really like American history. We are only going to complete 18 weeks this year because of a move and a bunch of other stuff that just didn't work out right. Instead of stressing and trying to finish it - we opted to just pick it up again after a break. The kids have enjoyed most of the activities and nearly all of the books. I am a Winter Promise fan. I really like the living books approach.

Thanks Jennifer, I think I will take the plunge if someone else has not snagged it. I have been reading their forum and joined the yahoo group as well. I bet we will be seeing more of each other.

What has been your favorite pre k- k WP program? My daughter just turned 5 and she would just prefer to play dolls or run around outside all day rather than any form of schooling. Maybe WP can reel her in.

Julie

so if your kids aren't into that, they might not enjoy Sea and Sky. That's why I ended up selling it. I thought DS would love it, he gently informed me he had no interest in ships, little interest in planes, and only moderate interest in space exploration.

But it sure looked great to me!

Michelle T

Thanks Jennifer, I think I will take the plunge if someone else has not snagged it. I have been reading their forum and joined the yahoo group as well. I bet we will be seeing more of each other.

What has been your favorite pre k- k WP program? My daughter just turned 5 and she would just prefer to play dolls or run around outside all day rather than any form of schooling. Maybe WP can reel her in.

Julie

For that stage I'd say I'm Ready to Learn preschool, because it's so active and full of fun. If she does decide to settle down, then maybe Journey in Imagination. . .

We are using it right now with a 14 and 15 year old boys. They love the program the only major problem is this they are going down way to many rabbit trails ;) and the sea part is taking a lot longer than 18 weeks. This however is good because they are doing independent study. They are literally devouring S&S and the stuff I build off of S&S.

Minor problems are some misprints in the schedule, and I hate working on some one else's schedule something I did not know before S&S :glare: I will not buy another packaged program again but that is my preference :D

Before this since 2000 I have put together all of our studies and after this year I will follow TWTM for high school history.:D

For that stage I'd say I'm Ready to Learn preschool

Just a plug for RTL. We have used the entire program and reused most of the resources for over 18 months. Every time I think I can pass this gem of a program on to someone else, my dc pick it up again and want more. We finished months ago, but they just asked to do the garden unit again.

I think they are spoiled now and think that learning is supposed to be fun!

Laurel T.

That is a great plug, using RTL again, most of the time when whe finish a Sonlight segement, we are all ready to be done. It is kind of rare to find something you are excited enough to reuse with the same kid agian.

How are the phonic in this program?

Julie

If you're ready for formal phonics, use WinterPromise's Basic Phonics PreK-K LA. It's one letter per week. For that study, I plan to use the PreK-1st version of Animals and Their Worlds for our theme, after we complete IRTL. That's because there is a book called Alphabet Art in AW that coordinates with the phonics study.

IRTL's "Wow! I'm Reading" book is more about "phonemic awareness", a very light hearted approach to letters, letter-sound relationship, early literacy stuff. "Pre-reading," YK?

I am doing the PreK-2nd and up Combined set with my almost 7 yo right now and I am THRILLED that I get to use it again with my littler guy in a couple years. Since I will be doing another WP theme with the older boy that time around (AS2), I won't use a couple of the older resources with the young fella.

If Joshua wants to visit animals again that year (for science), I will add in a couple things WP has added for older kids since my theme was published. I might add a human body study for the older boy that year too just for variety.

Sorry - this doesn't go with the OP, but I had a Winter Promise question regarding QAW. We are about to start our ancient cycle again (2nd round) with 7th grader, 5th grader and 2nd grader (1st time for this dc). I'm looking to curriculums that will allow all of us to do ancients together. Older two dds have already read SOTWs, so would like something different hence my appeal to QAW. I'm assuming 2nd grader will follow along w/MOH OK, but I wondering if the curriculum guide gives specific living books lists for younger dc?? If WP doesn't do this, I probably won't spend all that money on it. I really don't have the time to create my own book lists, searching for books, etc for yougner dc. Do WP'ers use QAW with younger dc? The WP forums don't seem very active, so I couldn't get an idea of this.

Thanks so much for your help... sorry for deviating from the original post!

Here's a link to a blog from someone who's doing QAW with a wide age span.

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/HarmonyAcademy

She has children ages 11, 9, 6 and 4.

I can't say for sure about lists of books for younger dc, except that I believe MOH itself includes something like that. Since QAW includes MOH, you'd get that by default. Here's a quote from the MOH website regarding that:

**Don’t be surprised when your student starts to fall in love with history! For those who do, there is a fabulous list of our favorite supplemental materials for you. These books and movies are NOT necessary since The Mystery of History is a complete history curriculum all on its own; however, they may make history even more memorable!