Menu

Need info about hsing in Raleigh, NC (x-post)...job prospect for hubby there..

My husband is being recruited for a very desirable job prospect in the Raleigh area. (Please note that we are at the very beginning of this process, so we don't know that we are moving yet.)

However, before we get too far down the path, I would like to know more about the hsing resources in the Triangle area, as I tain't moving anywhere without feeling good about hsing support.

For those who live in this area, I would love any feedback/info/resources you have to share! Feel free to forward links to me, if my questions are best answered elsewhere. I tried doing an online search but it didn't yield anything in detail. Specifically, I'm looking for:

What kind of co-ops (if any) are available? Are there any hsing-only activities for music, gymnastics, museum classes, etc? (I don't necessarily care if there are ps kids involved, it's just nice to have classes that are available during school hours for hsers.) How large is the hsing community there? Are there any charter schools or part-time enrollment options for elementary students? (Even though we are legally considered hsers, my son attends one day of enrichment classes here through the local school district; he loves it.)

Feel free to pm me as well. I will greatly appreciate anything you have to share! Thanks so much in advance

What kind of co-ops (if any) are available? Are there any hsing-only activities for music, gymnastics, museum classes, etc? (I don't necessarily care if there are ps kids involved, it's just nice to have classes that are available during school hours for hsers.) How large is the hsing community there? Are there any charter schools or part-time enrollment options for elementary students? (Even though we are legally considered hsers, my son attends one day of enrichment classes here through the local school district; he loves it.)

Feel free to pm me as well. I will greatly appreciate anything you have to share! Thanks so much in advance

This is funny to me as my dh went to interview in WA state a couple years ago! No offer so we didn't move. Anyway...

There are many homeschoolers in the area! There are only 2 families at my church, but I go to a small church (less than 150 people). There is a very active yahoo group for local opportunities - there are over 3000 members to the group. Through that group I hear about many, many opportunities! Just this morning there was a post for a dissection class for a fetal pig, writing class, group testing, theater performance, people looking for groups for their kids. The 2 groups today were specific - one was geographical and one was for teen girls with autism. I would say 95% of what is put put on spiceline in terms of opportunities is homeschoolers only. It looks to be 300-500 posts a month from this group. There are quite a few that are replies and I use my delete button often.

You didn't mention this but I hope you don't mind Christian activities. The reason I say this is that many, I would even say most, opportunities are at churches. Of course, the yahoo group is run by a conservative Christian so I may be colored in that regard. There are non-Christian support groups as well, but I don't hear about them as much.

There are co-ops all over. The one I belong to is huge! We meet on Thursdays. The stated purpose is so that the moms can get to a Bible study. The classes for the kids are secondary. Not really but that is how their mission statement puts it. I personally look at the classes as fluff but my kids are learning things there that I can't teach at home. Last semester but girls took a drawing class. My ds took a cooking class that was more about the science behind cooking than the cooking itself. This semester my 12 yo is taking a cooking class, my 15 yo is taking a health class.

There is a high school group - not a co-op but where you pay teachers for a small group setting. DD15 is taking a writing class there. Friends of hers are taking biology, algebra, sign language. Through are involvement in the co-op, we know about a separate science co-op for biology. Moms each teach a module but we are mostly together for the labs.

There are some homeschool only opportunities. Football is one. The flag kids do it during the day but tackle is in the evenings. Tennis is another. The theater performance mentioned above is homeschool kids only as well. I know there are others but my kids aren't interested in those things so I don't pay as much attention.

Charter schools are run by the public school system and are public schools, not what I've seen on here. I also haven't seen any part time enrollment options around here. The public schools don't tend to allow us to participate in anything they offer. Some private schools do but it is up to the school itself. I personally don't know of anyone who does this.

You didn't ask, so maybe you've already looked it up, homeschooling is easy. Let the state know. You need to have a high school diploma. You have to keep shot records at home. Keep attendance. School for 9 months with reasonable holidays and vacations. Test using a nationally normed test each year.

Any other questions, feel free to ask. There are several NC homeschoolers on here and a few of us live in and around Raleigh.

Lots of homeschoolers in the Triangle area. There are co-ops, classes, activities... etc.. Secular, religious-- you name it. We've got it.

As far as charter schools letting you take classes-- I haven't heard of that. There are charter schools, but not sure if homeschoolers are allowed to attend for a class or two.

We moved here nearly 5 yrs ago, and have homeschooled all three kids from the beginning. I've got a high schooler this year, and we still haven't run out of opportunities.

..Laura

I've homeschooled in the Raleigh, NC area for the last six years and have not had any problems. Homeschooling is generally accepted as an educational choice and there is also a large number of ps students in year-round schools. So, there are always children out and about during school hours for one reason or another. It means a lot of daytime activities are offered. In 2008-2009 there were nearly 3,800 homeschools operating in Wake county alone.

The Dept. of Non-Public Education (NCDNPE) has a website with all the information about setting up a homeschool in NC.

My children have participated in gymnastics, piano lessons, choir and science classes set-up for homeschoolers. I know that there are a multitude of other choices available. The past couple of years we have taken advantage of our local rec center for classes. Dd10 and dd7 will be taking a meteorology class there for the next three weeks.

NC Wildlife offers free wildlife classes throughout the year during early afternoons.

In Western Wake County, there are a number of inclusive homeschool groups and co-ops that families from Raleigh join.

The library system is large and I have found it to be very homeschooler friendly. In the past they have lent space for classes and book groups to meet. A large shelf space is devoted to homeschool materials. But, they do not have DVD loans, yet. :(

Raleigh also has a homeschool bookstore that buys & sells used curriculum. It is nice to be able to go to in order to look though material before I buy.

Raleigh is in the middle of the state and is surrounded by many museums. The NC Zoo is only 1 hour away and one of the three aquariums is a two hour drive to the east. There just always seems to be something to do around here.

Amy

...I figured Raleigh had to have a good-sized group of hsers, but you're never quite sure how solid the support is until you've really kicked the tires (e.g. the place we lived before this had a lot of homeschoolers but really very few organized activities and no co-op).

Do any of you happen to have any web sites that I might file away for future reference? As I said, it's still early in the process, but it is something of a dream job for my husband and they are recruiting him, so it wouldn't surprise me if we end up there.

And as far as homeschooling groups go, I and my family are Christian but I am comfortable (and rather enjoy) interacting with people of many different beliefs.

Again, thanks so much!

...I figured Raleigh had to have a good-sized group of hsers, but you're never quite sure how solid the support is until you've really kicked the tires (e.g. the place we lived before this had a lot of homeschoolers but really very few organized activities and no co-op).

Do any of you happen to have any web sites that I might file away for future reference? As I said, it's still early in the process, but it is something of a dream job for my husband and they are recruiting him, so it wouldn't surprise me if we end up there.

And as far as homeschooling groups go, I and my family are Christian but I am comfortable (and rather enjoy) interacting with people of many different beliefs.

Again, thanks so much!

I also want to tell you, aside from all of what everyone said above - there is a GREAT homeschool store in Raleigh! They sell lots of new material and have consignment for used material. They are a homeschooling family that graduated both their daughters and they are a wealth of information.

http://www.homeschoolgatheringplace.com/

• 5 weeks later...