Menu

SOTW 2 books/project recommendations needed

momtolgd

We finally finished SOTW 1 (after over a year and a half!) Now onto SOTW 2. What extra books did you find definately worth getting from the library? What about projects...any specific favorites that are not to be missed? Any other resource suggestions?

Thanks. :001_smile:

Edited by momtolgd

The Look it up Book of Explorers by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel was a great resource for all of the explorers mentioned in SOTW 2

Joan of Arc, Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, & Good Queen Bess, all by Diane Stanley were great additions to our studies.

We loved making the Celtic weapons and staging a Celtic battle in the yard, complete with blue face paint. (ch. 2)

We enjoyed a whole week of composing haikus (ch. 9).

Designing a coat of arms was a great project (ch. 17)

Definitely watch Henry V with Kenneth Branagh & see a Shakespeare play in person, if you can. (ch. 26)

We are on chp. 22 right now. We have checked out the Mary Pope Osborne book, Favorite Medieval Tales quite a bit. I also liked, Don't know much about the Kings and Queens of England. Any book by Demi that comes up too.

For projects, we liked the Viking boats, mosaic, spanish history windchimes, Jewish Tzedukah (sp? don't have the book in front of me.) boxes, the edible oasis (we did the healthier version, not the candy one,) and any games that have come up. We also wrote haikus which was fun. I know we have done more than these, but these came to mind.

We're still working our way through SOTW 2, but so far we have enjoyed:

making the Roman signum and the Celtic weapons and staging a backyard battle (we declared a truce to come together for the Roman soldier meal),

reading Favorite Medieval Tales by Mary Pope Osborne,

we attempted a monk's meal, complete with vow of silence (2 yr. old was exempt:)),

the edible oasis was a hit, and the hanging valley of snakes was fun,

there are many beautiful books by Ed Young that tell folk tales from China (the AG only rec's one of them, our library had a few others),

my boys loved painting up like a Maori warrior,

Puss in Boots, by Fred Marcellino is a beautiful book,

making our own Bayeux Tapestry (we just cut some paper grocery bags) was fun,

we enjoy anything by David Macaulay (Castle, Cathedral, City),

Castle Diary by Richard Platt was great, St. George and the Dragon by Hodges is beautifully illustrated (Caldecott winner),

both the boys also enjoyed making their own Magna Carta,

and a fabulous Beowulf retelling is Beowulf, Grendel the Ghastly, by Michelle L. Szobody. This is a BEAUTIFUL picture book, and a good retelling of some of Beowulf that won't go over a younger child's head.

Hope some of this can help.

Looking through dd's notebook, I found the enlarged map we did when we were on the chapter about Charlemagne. It is the advanced map work. That was a good project. We did have to do some extra reading from the book, Medieval Stories for Kids to Read and Tell, because the characters on the map were not in the SOTW chapter. I enlarged the map at Kinkos and we glued it to an even larger piece of paper, then we glued them on and decorated.

I have liked all of the advanced mapwork actually. It is a nice addition that wasn't in SOTW1.