Menu

Can somone recommend a good text/curriculum for 7th grader starting Ancients again

SS in MD

We're starting our history rotation again in the fall. I'm trying to find a good text or curriculum that will incorporate three older siblings 7th, 5th and 2nd. If 2nd can't be folded in, that's OK. I just need something good for older two and 3rd dc can tag along with SOTW. Older dc have already read SOTW, so they'd like to use another text. Perhaps use SOTW as more supplemental reading.

I'm considering TOG Year 1, but I'd really like to use LL7 and I think both would be over kill in terms of lit analysis (please correct me if I'm wrong here!). My ideal would be everyone working/studying the same topic per week... don't really know if that's reality though, I've also briefly looked a MOH, but just looking ahead to MOH2, it looks like it's heavy on church history and I don't know if my (then 3rd grader) will undertand concepts, so I don't know if I should go down the MOH path?? Sorry to ramble... I'm hoping someone may have some thoughts... THANKS

History Odyssey? You could do the Ancients level 2 with your 7th and 5th grader and your 2nd grader can tag along listening to the books and coloring pictures/books that you print out or purchase (Dover coloring books or something of the like on the topics, I know there are Ancient Greece and Rome books out there; not sure what else).

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.pandiapress.com/history_odyssey.htm#ancients

Thanks for the post. Have you tried HO before? Just wondering if you had any thoughts on it? It looks promising. Thanks!

Yes, we used ancients level 1 when it first came out. We didn't continue with it because the other levels were not published when we needed them.

We are going back to using them this next year. My ds will use Ancients level 3 for 9th grade and my dd will use Ancients level 2 because she is not ready for level 3. I have the level 3 and will be purchasing level 2 soon.

I like the guides because they follow WTM suggestions, but are laid out for me so I don't have to plan the lessons (which is not my strong suit). They are also inexpensive compared to some other options.