Menu

Has anyone used Kinetic Books' Physics program? I'm considering using it in our co-op next year instead of Apologia, but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually used it.

Which level did you use? I'm trying to decide between Conceptual and Principles.

Did your student like it? Did he learn well?

Did you have the printed text as well as the digital version? If you only had the digital version, do you wish you'd also had the printed text?

Did you use the Virtual Labs? If so, how useful were they?

Any other thougts or insights?

Thanks!!

DS used Principles of Physics (Fall 2008) for a couple of months. I did not help him at all. He used the digital version. By November, he felt he needed something with more structure. It could be that he just needed the book. But he really wanted to use Apologia again (having done Chemistry before). He preferred to learn by that method. He did continue to use KB, but as a supplement.....mainly the animations, I think, to help him understand the concepts better. He also did all the virtual labs. He coordinated it all himself. Sorry if I'm not much help.

s used this last year, Principles that is and it is an excellent program, I felt. I had compared it to Giancoli and found that Kinetic Books competed favorably especially with the interactive components. We did not use the Virtual Labs however. NOR did we purchase a printed text - wasn't really necessary.

You do need trig to do the Principles level. And a Solutions Manual was helpful for me:) (we were able to purchase it thru an umbrella school).

I'd give it a thumbs up and I was ready to not like it!

Mary

did you have to have internet access, or was there a CD so that you downloaded the whole book to your hard drive and could access it offline as well?

I'd really like to make this work for co-op next year, but at not everyone has broadband access to the internet.

You can buy CDs as well as printed texts. For example, the Conceptual Physics CDs are $30 each, $50 with a printed textbook as well as the CD. If you think you may be offering this class again in the future, you can buy the "class set" CDs for $10 more (CDs = $40, with text = $60) and these can be reused with future students.

Will you have 10 or more students? You can buy a "Computer Lab License" which would let up to 35 students load the the program onto their computers, and it also provides free PDFs of the textbook for anyone who wants to print one. It costs $400 for Conceptual Physics, so if you have at least 10 students that would be very cost effective, and you can reuse the program in future years.

You can also inquire about getting the online homework package, since you will be teaching a group. The "school rate" is $10 per student, and the homeschool rate is $50 for 2 students; you would have to ask KB if a coop would qualify for the school rate. Here is a link to their pricing:

http://www.kineticbooks.com/products/prod_purchinfo.html

You mentioned that you were trying to choose between Conceptual and Principles. Principles is considered AP level (AP Physics B), so you'd want to make sure all your students were ready for that level.

Jackie

What you're saying about the Class Set pricing is what I was reading, but the guy from KB that I was corresponding with via email didn't seem to understand it that way. We don't qualify for the Computer Lab License, though, because the co-op doesn't own a bunch of computers. The students would be running it on their own personal computers. The Class Set option seems very reasonable to me.

I'll have to go back and look at the levels again. I thought it was the third level (for Scientists and Engineers) that was the AP level. I've been teaching with Apologia for three years now; that's the approximate level of math that we would still want.

I thought it was the third level (for Scientists and Engineers) that was the AP level.

There are 2 AP Physics courses, B & C. Principles is approved by the College Board for AP Physics B, and Scientists/Engineers is approved for Physics C. Physics C is calculus-based, and B requires Trig.

Jackie

thanks -- I get it now. We definitely won't be doing the calc-based course. I'd really like to get my hands on the other two texts, though, and compare them side by side. Our local state university uses them both, but they only have sealed packages, with no returns possible once the seal is broken.

When we spoke to them they advised we purchse at minimum the principles book for my DD, you can just skip over the chapters that are different then the concepts book if you so choose and you will have it for an AP class later or for an added resource at any time. You can print the table of contents for them to compare what is additional material for the AP books. The way they explained it was that everything in the first book is in the second and everything in the first two is in the third. So I would ask about this before you decide.

The same thing applies to the lab kits from LabPaq we are using. It's cheaper to buy the higher level now and have it all then to buy two seperate kits.

Edited by melmichigan
When we spoke to them they advised we purchse at minimum the principles book for my DD10, you can just skip over the chapters that are different then the concepts book if you so choose and you will have it for an AP class later or for an added resource at any time. You can print the table of contents for them to compare what is additional material for the AP books. The way they explained it was that everything in the first book is in the second and everything in the first two is in the third. So I would ask about this before you decide.

The problem with this is that we have several students who are under regulations which require them to complete at least 75% of a text for it to count as "done".

BTW, is your dd 10yo or in the 10th grade?

When we spoke to them they advised we purchse at minimum the principles book for my DD10, you can just skip over the chapters that are different then the concepts book if you so choose and you will have it for an AP class later or for an added resource at any time. You can print the table of contents for them to compare what is additional material for the AP books. The way they explained it was that everything in the first book is in the second and everything in the first two is in the third.

Interesting! Did you find that it worked well that way? Do you plan to go back and do the other chapters later? If the "Conceptual" part really is easy to separate from the "Scientists & Engineers" part, I would love to buy S&E and use it once in 8th for Conceptual and then again in 11th for AP Physics C (with other materials).

The problem with this is that we have several students who are under regulations which require them to complete at least 75% of a text for it to count as "done".

If the more advanced material is really in separate chapters, maybe you could print out the TOC for the Conceptual Course and only count those chapters? Or order the Principles CD package, but just use the Conceptual printed text for the students that have to cover at least 75%?

Jackie

Interesting! Did you find that it worked well that way? Do you plan to go back and do the other chapters later? If the "Conceptual" part really is easy to separate from the "Scientists & Engineers" part, I would love to buy S&E and use it once in 8th for Conceptual and then again in 11th for AP Physics C (with other materials).

Jackie

This will be my DD's course for next year. I am ordering early so I can get started going through the material myself. I spoke with the marketing manager at length today about the differences between the books (just to make sure I understood correctly). She suggested either the principles or S&E. She said they add to each book but that they don't remove material. You can sit down and distinguish 5 chapters that aren't in the concept book that is in principles and one chapter that is in the principles book that isn't in the S&E. You can also compare each chapter individually online to see what is additonal material.

I do plan to go back and use the materials in the future. I know another parent who is using this with her child in this way and it is going well. It isn't the same as something like PLATO where it keeps track of where you are and only shows that information. It is an interactive textbook. The marketing manager also mentioned that there are PDF's of the material on the CD's where you could print the textbook rather than buy it additonally if shipping is a factor, depending on where you are. For me I'd like to have the book.

If you homeschool with any determination from your state to show you are the instructor you can also purchase teacher materials, same as all the other publishers, you just need to call them to order. I homeschool as a non-public school so this is very helpful. You can also purchase the principles bundle from Pearson if you would rather, but they don't offer the homework option that I am aware of, and they will only see the solutions guide with a class pack. HTH.

Edited by melmichigan
This will be my DD's course for next year. I am ordering early so I can get started going through the material myself. I spoke with the marketing manager at length today about the differences between the books (just to make sure I understood correctly). She suggested either the principles or S&E. She said they add to each book but that they don't remove material. You can sit down and distinguish 5 chapters that aren't in the concept book that is in principles and one chapter that is in the principles book that isn't in the S&E. You can also compare each chapter individually online to see what is additonal material.

I do plan to go back and use the materials in the future. I know another parent who is using this with her child in this way and it is going well. It isn't the same as something like PLATO where it keeps track of where you are and only shows that information. It is an interactive textbook. The marketing manager also mentioned that there are PDF's of the material on the CD's where you could print the textbook rather than buy it additonally if shipping is a factor, depending on where you are. For me I'd like to have the book.

If you homeschool with any determination from your state to show you are the instructor you can also purchase teacher materials, same as all the other publishers, you just need to call them to order. I homeschool as a non-public school so this is very helpful. You can also purchase the principles bundle from Pearson if you would rather, but they don't offer the homework option that I am aware of, and they will only see the solutions guide with a class pack. HTH.

Thank you, this is very helpful!

Jackie

You can also purchase the principles bundle from Pearson if you would rather, but they don't offer the homework option that I am aware of, and they will only see the solutions guide with a class pack. HTH.

Very curious about which bundle you are talking about since I didn't know Kinetic Books is related to Pearson.

Thanks!

Joan

Very curious about which bundle you are talking about since I didn't know Kinetic Books is related to Pearson.

Thanks!

Joan

I'd be interested, too ~ I can't find anything about it on either KB's website or Pearson. I know Holt/McDougal sell KB's Conceptual Physics, but I don't know if there is any advantage in buying from them vs. direct from KB.

http://www.mcdougallittell.com/store/ProductCatalogController;jsessionid=LZHphsXSp9frYFLrJkTvRm2vKjf0RyMs8DHbkB2wwncZH5QGPq22!1867803257?cmd=ProductDetail&recordReference=1024687&nextPage=McDougal%2FProduct.jsp&division=M01&frontOrBack=F&sortEntriesBy=SEQ_NAME&sortProductsBy=SEQ_TITLE&hierarchyID=1007200000088148

Jackie

Thanks!

Joan

Sorry! It is Holt McDougal, the options are on p.119 if you have their 2010 science catalog. (I have Pearson on the brain, they are so difficult to deal with lately.) I didn't see any advantage unless you are looking at a class pack. I did forget to ask about the student solutions guide when I talked to Kinetics yesterday so I will put that on my list. I have also had great customer service so far from Kinetics and would rather go with the original company. :)

I am proposing that we switch to Kinetic Books Physics for co-op next year. Is there much evolutionary or other non-creationist world view material in the text? That wouldn't keep me from using it, but I'm anticipating that my director might want to know.

I am proposing that we switch to Kinetic Books Physics for co-op next year. Is there much evolutionary or other non-creationist world view material in the text? That wouldn't keep me from using it, but I'm anticipating that my director might want to know.

Nothing at all related to this even remotely from my memory of it, fwiw. Good luck with it!

Mary

• 6 months later...
Guest camade

You do need trig to do the Principles level. And a Solutions Manual was helpful for me:) (we were able to purchase it thru an umbrella school).

I'd give it a thumbs up and I was ready to not like it!

Mary

Hi Mary - we are desperately seeking the Solutions Manual. If you're done with the course would you be willing to share or sell the manual? Kinetics won't sell this piece to homeschoolers and we are not part of an umbrella school that we can purchase through.

Thanks,

camade

• 5 months later...
Guest MatthewTringali

I have been hired to teach Physics at a small private school next year and found this thread with great interest as I too am trying to decide primarily between KB (either Conceptual or Principles) and Apologia. I do know that the students have used Apologia for Bio and Chem. I also know that it is unlikely many (if any) of my students would sit for the AP Exam. I also know most of my students are not very inclined to Math.

Any further updates or input in this thread would be appreciate.

Oh, and also, the other text I am considering is Singapore Physics Matters. I have been a huge fan of Singapore Math so far with my own younger homeschooled children, so I thought I should consider this text as well. Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks!

Matt

Edited by MatthewTringali

Matt, I'm the one who started this thread. We're just past the halfway point in the school year. I really do like the text. If you will be teaching 5 days a week, rather than the 2 days I have, you should be better off.

A couple of notes: KineticBooks is now owned (or run) by a different company. The transition has been smooth for me. Even when I had a computer crash and had to reinstall software, they were very gracious and helpful.

The solutions manual is very helpful. You shouldn't have trouble acquiring one since you're with a private school.

If you have a means of projecting from your computer onto the classroom wall, that would be great.

Based on your description of your students, I'd recommend Conceptual Physics. It's unfortunate that they use "Conceptual" as it really is more math-intensive than Apologia's regular text, and has several principles not covered by Apologia.

As a teacher, I appreciate having the hardcopy of the text as well as the digital version. We ordered a class set license for our co-op students, and they each have a hardcopy as well. I'm not sure that they get cracked open much, if at all.

I know nothing about the Singapore text. Sorry.

HTH

I have been hired to teach Physics at a small private school next year and found this thread with great interest as I too am trying to decide primarily between KB (either Conceptual or Principles) and Apologia. I do know that the students have used Apologia for Bio and Chem. I also know that it is unlikely many (if any) of my students would sit for the AP Exam. I also know most of my students are not very inclined to Math.

Oh, and also, the other text I am considering is Singapore Physics Matters. I have been a huge fan of Singapore Math so far with my own younger homeschooled children, so I thought I should consider this text as well. Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks!

Matt

My daughter used Apologia Physics the first half of this year. She really enjoyed it, and while it's by no means light in math, each concept is well explained and she got a good understanding. The first text alone is not at all AP prep. They have an Advanced Physics text which helps prepare students for the AP test.

I'm not familiar with the other texts mentioned.