Menu

Winston Grammar? Can anyone review this?

Michelle T

I know it uses little colored cards to indicate parts of speech, but would love to hear more about it.

How easy to teach is Winston Grammar? Is it reasonably interesting? Would you recommend it for a DS who really, really struggles to understand grammar?

Michelle T

well, I have it, but have not really fully used it - here are my opinions

Easy to teach? yes, it is pretty basic - explain what a noun is, break down sentences in workbook using cards and identify nouns

reasonably interesting? no, mind numbingly dull :) the cards I suppose provide some variety, but when we used them, I would not say it was interesting, just a more visual way to teach

truthfully, I would not have bought it, someone gave it to me free, so I have used the exercises to help reinforce. We are really not doing formal grammar since we do Latin, but we do read the Lively Language books by Heller and do illustrations of different parts of speech.

What is your child struggling to understand, and how old is he? That might be helpful in giving you more info.

I know it uses little colored cards to indicate parts of speech, but would love to hear more about it.

How easy to teach is Winston Grammar? Is it reasonably interesting? Would you recommend it for a DS who really, really struggles to understand grammar?

Michelle T

Dd used it as a very concrete, hands-on tool of learning for four months when we transitioned from public school grammar (or lack thereof) into R&S6.

It was wonderful. It was exactly what the doctor ordered. Very easy to teach, fairly interesting.

How old is your son?

well, I have it, but have not really fully used it - here are my opinions

Easy to teach? yes, it is pretty basic - explain what a noun is, break down sentences in workbook using cards and identify nouns

reasonably interesting? no, mind numbingly dull :) the cards I suppose provide some variety, but when we used them, I would not say it was interesting, just a more visual way to teach

truthfully, I would not have bought it, someone gave it to me free, so I have used the exercises to help reinforce. We are really not doing formal grammar since we do Latin, but we do read the Lively Language books by Heller and do illustrations of different parts of speech.

What is your child struggling to understand, and how old is he? That might be helpful in giving you more info.

DS is almost 12. He does have somewhat severe visual processing problems, so maybe a program that is very visual will not be a good solution here. He struggles to understand most everything, as his LD's are pretty bad.

I just thought Winston Grammar might be more "fun" than the more traditional, workbook/textbook type grammar programs.

Michelle T

DS is almost 12. He does have somewhat severe visual processing problems, so maybe a program that is very visual will not be a good solution here. He struggles to understand most everything, as his LD's are pretty bad.

I just thought Winston Grammar might be more "fun" than the more traditional, workbook/textbook type grammar programs.

Michelle T

Frankly? I think it would be worth a try. Do it half a lesson at a time. You might be surprised.

I found it more kinesthetic than visual, but just about any grammar program is probably going to have a visual component.

I had stayed away from Winston Grammar for many years because of so many negative reports I had read on homeschool forums. However, 2 years ago I got my hands on their Advanced Grammar program and implemented it with middle ds (in 8th grade at the time). It went SPECTACULARLY well. I was impressed with how easy it was to teach, and how much ds retained as we went through the program (although I should say he had a good foundation from Hake's grammar).

So, this year I bought Winston Grammar Basic to use with youngest ds, who has struggled with grammar (primarily because he has had no interest in it and doesn't apply himself!) He took off and flew with this method. He LOVES the cards. However, I have recently realized he may be a kinesthetic learner. He is my husband's favorite helper, because he is so good at hands-on things. He also likes playing card games. So, the cards in WG have become a favorite tool for him. I plan to continue on in the Winston sequence for him to the end. And I am very happy to have found something that clicked for him!:D

I can see why this program may not be a good fit for some kids, but it has worked well here!

I also hesitated purchasing because of negative replies, but now that I have it in my hand, I am so impressed with it and realize that yes, not only is my son going to learn this way, but I am too!:lol:

I plan on going through it in half a year then going straight to winston advanced.

Dee

ps keep in mind that this is only grammar. There is not punctuation or writing, or capitalization. But that is easy to do even on your own.