Menu

what do you use for writing if you DOn't like IEW???

I have looked at this repeatedly. It have been suggested to me, however I practically break out in hives when I see how much parent time and involvement it takes as far as watching the DVD's. Honestly the whole concept scares me!LOL

I prefer much more basic curriculums. More hand holding....so any suggestions?

My 9th grader is currently using Writeshop for creative writing, but next year I want a more formal writing program that gets into the different writing styles!

I have looked at this repeatedly. It have been suggested to me, however I practically break out in hives when I see how much parent time and involvement it takes as far as watching the DVD's. Honestly the whole concept scares me!LOL

I prefer much more basic curriculums. More hand holding....so any suggestions?

My 9th grader is currently using Writeshop for creative writing, but next year I want a more formal writing program that gets into the different writing styles!

We use Glencoe Writer's Choice Grammar and Composition program. We are doing 10th grade curriculum now with our 9th graders. We also use Glencoes Vocabulary (10th grade). Anyway it has been a good fit for us. My twins are doing this pretty much totally on their own. I just check over their work and do the grading.

WC has seven composition units (broken in several sections for each unit) for Personal Writing, Writing Techniques, Descriptive Writing, Narrative Writing, Expository Writing, Persuasive Writing, and Research Writing. Grammar unit has about 10 units (with several sections in each). We use the grammar and the composition practice workbooks for the daily assignments. Each unit of composition also has a writing project and a literature model connection. For 7 composition units we are doing them slowly and we assign extra writing assignments where we want.

We add in Great Books (list in TWTM) as a separate literature course (goes with our World History).