Menu

What kind of score is 29 for the ACT?

My dd15 (10th grade) took the ACT for the first time in December with no prep (did not take the writing portion). Her section scores were all 30 or 31 except math at 25. Her composite score was 29. She told me right away that she didn't remember a bunch of geometry and that her score would probably be low.

How does this compare to others? I intend for her to take the test at least once more, with significant math prep. Does this sound like a good idea? THX

The score report should give a percentile range; if you've received a copy of the score report, check for those percentiles. A score of 29 for a sophomore is a very good score. If you do ACT test prep., i.e., buy a good ACT test prep. book, i.e., The Real ACT Prep. Guide, this should help. You could also have her review her math for the math portion by using a program likeChalkdust's ACT/SAT Math Review; it used to cover SAT math only, but it looks like it's been revised to include ACT math as well. I don't know exactly what the difference is in emphasis between ACT and SAT math, but I do know they approach the problems differently. , I'd be surprised if your score didn't improve in her junior and senior years.

Sounds like she did great! These are just a couple of suggestions, if she's looking to increase that score.

My dd, also 15, took ACT in October and scored a 31 composite. I, also, asked for advice regarding scores and was told that it is a great score for a 15 year old, so I would think 29 is a great score as well.

My dd's math score was low as well (26) which completely surprised me since I would have considered her a "math geek":001_smile: We just purchased Chalkdust SAT/ACT Math review, which I've heard great things about. We are hoping to have her retake the ACT this June and hopefully improve her math score.

HTH.

I did receive a score report, but hesitate to compare her to the national norm, as I usually feel the national norm is dumbed down. So, wanted to compare her score to other homeschoolers. Thanks for the quick responses.

Honestly, the scores to compare hers to are those of freshman accepted to the college of her choice.

I think 29 composite is WONDERFUL! Ahead of the crowd for many, many schools. But if you're considering a highly selective university, you'll want to check their freshman stats.

Congrats to you and dd on a job well done!

Many colleges begin giving academic scholarships at about a 27, so a 29 is well within scholarship range. If your dc did not take the ACT again, a scholarship would very possibly be offered. Taking it again to try to raise the math score would be a good idea, and should also take the writing portion, even though many colleges don't use that score for scholarship purposes. Many colleges offer fully paid scholarships for scores of 30 and higher, so it is very possible to raise that score one or two points by improving the math.

All in all, you can be very proud of the score.

Many colleges begin giving academic scholarships at about a 27, so a 29 is well within scholarship range. If your dc did not take the ACT again, a scholarship would very possibly be offered. Taking it again to try to raise the math score would be a good idea, and should also take the writing portion, even though many colleges don't use that score for scholarship purposes. Many colleges offer fully paid scholarships for scores of 30 and higher, so it is very possible to raise that score one or two points by improving the math.

All in all, you can be very proud of the score.

Yes, this is our need and hope.

thanks for all the encouragement, ladies. I think she'll take it again early in the fall and we'll then be ready for college visits and such.