Menu

let's talk about teens getting a driver's license

My oldest turns 15 next week. At 15.5, in my state he is allowed to sign up for driver's instruction and to get a permit to drive with an adult in the car.

So that is all the buzz right now.

Because that is not happening in our house.

Dh and I have talked about this repeatedly. Dh got his liscense at 16. I got mine after we married at 19. I knew dh at 16 and let me assure you his parents should not have let that young man drive.:scared: Dh agrees that they wouldn't have let him drive if they knew half of what they think they knew, but says that's part of the fun of growing up. Yeah. Right.

Anyhow. We do agree that he will not being getting to drive before at least 17.

We simply cannot afford the added insurance expense.

We truely do not feel he is ready at this time.

We do not have a need for him to drive on his own.

It seems as thought everyone know is acting like we are depriving him of food and drink by not getting him a license and permission to drive at 16.

Thoughts?

What are other bees in the hive handling the driving issue?

Oh and just to note, I don't really have any opinion on what other parents choose for their kids. I don't think badly of parents who do the 16 car/license/driving thing. At this point, it's just not for US.:D

Our oldest took driver's ed with the local public high school, so he got his at 16. Oldest dd finally got hers a few months after she was 16 because she needed to drive herself to daily college classes. With the triplets, who are 15, H has her learner's permit and the boys have their farm permits.

Our boys start driving around 13 or so on the roads to help with chores, but not on highways. They've been driving in pastures for.................forever?

It's not what I'm doing, but I have a girl. :tongue_smilie: If I had a boy, especially the boy I have, I may be in the same boat as you, holding off.

Just FYI, I heard this from someone else, I did not research it on my own, but it is someone I trust to have researched it herself. Anyway, the insurance goes high the first years of driving no matter how old they are when they get their license. It doesn't matter if they are 16, 18 or 25. The first years with a license are higher. It does make sense - when you are learning is when you are most apt to cause accidents.

I'm not saying that to make you feel bad about not doing it now!!! If you can't afford the insurance, you can't afford the insurance. If you don't think he's responsible enough, then he's not responsible enough!

FWIW, I was talking with a friend whose ds had a license. She saw him, followed him while he was doing some stupid things while driving. More like they happened to be in the same place than she was trying to catch him. Anyway, she took his license away for a month or so. His friends' parents were giving her grief over that decision, much like it sounds like you are getting grief over this one now. So you can't win.

You are doing what you and dh believe is right. Stand by it!

I remember those days (of getting my own license at 17 and my friends getting theirs at 16) - and I agree with you! However, I really feel it comes down to the individual kid. Is that child mature, reliable, responsible, reasonable, etc. If not, no way - driving is a BIG responsibility and its just not worth it to hand over the keys to a kid that is not mentally ready for everything it entails, kwim? Are they prepared to pay for their own gas? How about a savings account for upkeep on the car - like when they turn too sharp and bend the hubcap or something like that. Also, it will depend on why they need to drive; do they need to get themselves to classes somewhere or to work? Or do they just want to go collect thier friends for the evening?

I don't think I'd have much of a problem teaching them to drive at 15-almost-16 years old, and letting them practice driving me around (for a change!), but I'm really not sure about actually obtaining the independent license at that age without a really good reason to do so.

ETA I really don't feel something like getting your license at 16 is as much "the right of passage" it has become - its more like a privilege at any age, and privileges need to be earned and maintained. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by LauraGB

Although we haven't set a certain AGE for learning to drive, we have discussed things around it. DH was not allowed to get his permit or complete driver ed at the "traditional time", per his folks' decision. Although I must agree that they were right in their decision, DH and I agree that their approach left some room for improvement. He felt punished and singled out from his siblings.

Therefore, all of our children must earn the priviledge of obtaining a permit and license. They must prove themselves to be responsible in other areas, and they must prove themselves capable of driving the tractors, if we still have that option when the time comes. To us, being able to drive is very much about responsibility, and if they do not show that responsibility in other areas, this is not the area to first prove themselves. Too much is at stake when they are irresponsible behind the wheel of a car.

Here, you can get your learners permit [drive with adult in the car sorta thing] at 14! I couldn't believe it when I found out [you have to be 16 back where we moved from] - fourteen! :001_huh:

I can barely imagine it in our town here - let alone in Edmonton or something. A 14 year kid, driving in crazy city traffic. Scary thought.

I don't suppose I need to state this, but it ain't gonna happen in this house. ;)

My almost 16-year old has had his permit since 15 1/2. He's taken driver's ed. He is extremely responsible, caring, and mature. He wants to get his license in April. We'll see. I don't think I'm ready. Maybe in the summer or before school starts in the fall so he can drive himself to school.

I wanted to add that I don't expect all of my kids to get their permits this early and I've told them that. Just turning 15.5 doesn't mean you get a permit. Maturity and responsibility are the main factor here.

My oldest turns 15 next week. At 15.5, in my state he is allowed to sign up for driver's instruction and to get a permit to drive with an adult in the car.

So that is all the buzz right now.

Because that is not happening in our house.

Dh and I have talked about this repeatedly. Dh got his liscense at 16. I got mine after we married at 19. I knew dh at 16 and let me assure you his parents should not have let that young man drive.:scared: Dh agrees that they wouldn't have let him drive if they knew half of what they think they knew, but says that's part of the fun of growing up. Yeah. Right.

Anyhow. We do agree that he will not being getting to drive before at least 17.

We simply cannot afford the added insurance expense.

We truely do not feel he is ready at this time.

We do not have a need for him to drive on his own.

It seems as thought everyone know is acting like we are depriving him of food and drink by not getting him a license and permission to drive at 16.

Thoughts?

Oh and just to note, I don't really have any opinion on what other parents choose for their kids. I don't think badly of parents who do the 16 car/license/driving thing. At this point, it's just not for US.:D

Martha....

What you are doing is called good parenting. The state says it is legal for a 16yo to get a license, but it's still, imo, up to the parents to decide whether it's the right thing for their dc.

I sure wish more parents would take this decision seriously. I was a good, responsible 16yo, but I sure did some stupid things. I cringe at what could have happened while I was behind the wheel.

Our oldest dc turns 14 soon, so I'm not sure how long it'll be before she gets her license. She already knows it's not an automatic just because she's 16. :) She has been driving around the ranch for quite a while, but there's so little risk out here.

Does your state require a certain number of practice hours with an adult? It took our babysitter quite a while to finish the entire process. My children aren't old enough, so I have no idea what I will decide, but the number of hours she had to record driving with an adult, would give me some pause about waiting too long.

Our dc start driving around the property whenever they want to. Dd's began at 12-14yo. They get their permits when they turn 19yo to avoid the driver's ed requirement in our state. And, believe it or not, none of them even have their licenses yet. Can't afford the insurance; they're still doing school at home; they don't need them yet. When they need them, I guess we'll get them; but we have to get the associated insurance at the same time. And, yes, we get the usual comments. :glare:

Oh yeah; they also lose their health insurance at 19yo.

Kathy

Edited by ksva
At this point, it's just not for US.

I don't see any reason you should feel bad about that. With my oldest, we didn't *do* drivers ed through the schools, so he had to wait until 16 to get his learners permit. With #2 he did do summer drivers ed through our local school district and because of that he got his permit at 15.5. However, they must still do 6 months of driving before being licensed.

Due to the fact that they are/were both enrolled in concurrent college courses, it is/was easier to have them drive. So...lots of prayer...a cell phone in case of disaster, and living in a small town where folks will easily help one another made our decision easier than your decision might be. If we were in a large metro area, I would certainly weigh things differently. Although my #2 son has had his license for a year now, he still does not drive to Tulsa alone. And, yes, the insurance is overwhelming! If your ds doesn't need to drive, I see no reason you should worry about it.

I didn't get mine til i was 17. Not because my parents didn't trust me to be careful on the roads, but because they did not have the $$ for insurance. The deal my parents made with me (and later my brother) was that we could get a permit at 15, but not a license til we could pay for our part of the insurance. I got a part time job the summer before my senior year of high school and that was when I got a license.

We signed my oldest up for drivers' ed at 15 over his objections. He didn't really want to do this, but I felt we would be getting into situations where it would be helpful to us if he had his license. He is 16 and has had his permit for 11 months and will be getting his license soon and only because he has demonstrated responsibility in the car. We does not have the thrill seeking personality so I am confident he will not be out joyriding:).

Our state has restricted licenses for new teen drivers- curfews, restrictions on # of kids in the car, no cell phone use, etc. We plan to use AAA's teen driving contract. Also, having his license does not mean he has unlimited access to the car. His license will be mostly for our convenience, not his recreation. In bad weather, he will still be supervised.

I want my children to have as much driving experience as possible while they are under our supervision and guidance before they are out on their own. Having a license sooner rather than later helps us accomplish this.

This is how we plan to deal with the other children as well - getting their permit as soon as is legal and parents reserving the right to decide when a license shall be granted and when the children may take the car.

ETA: I used a private drivers' ed place because we needed the convenience of determining when we would take classes rather than be at the beck and call of the high school schedule. Also, our state has a requirement of 50 hours of supervised driving with a permit before being able to take the drivers' test.

Edited by dirty ethel rackham

My son turned 15.5 on Thanksgiving Day this year. The following Monday I took him to test for his learner's permit. He passed his test and began driving with my husband in empty parking lots the next day.

Just this morning he graduated to learning how to navigate on-and off-ramps to the freeway. My husband is doing a terrific job working with him, and my son is doing equally well with the responsibility.

Jeffrey will most likely get his license in the couple of months following his 16th birthday. We decided for a couple of reasons that this would happen. First and most importantly, Jeffrey is incredibly responsible, and is one of those kids who does everything by the book. He is a follower of rules.

Also, he has been offered a job with our football team during training camp this summer. The job will begin at 6am and run until 2pm. Neither my husband nor I will be able to drive him to and from the team's headquarters at those hours.

Additionally, it is possible that our son will be going to a local college to finish his junior and senior years of high school. Because his classes could be any time from 7am to 7pm, he will need to have his license and some form of reliable transportation to get himself where he needs to be.

If my husband and I didn't feel he was responsible enough to handle driving, and if we were at all concerned that he would not follow our many (rather strict) rules regarding use of the car, friends in the car, going only where he says he will go, etc., we would not be offering him this opportunity.

Our oldest two are both old enough to get their licenses (19 & 17), but both only have their learner's permits. Ds is guaranteed on-campus housing at college as long as he keeps his grades up, so we see no need for him to get his right now. He's a responsible guy and a pretty good driver. If he did get his license, he'd need to get a job to cover his car/insurance/gas expenses - we figure would basically working to drive, and driving to work. It just doesn't seem worth it.

Dd has not expressed interest in getting more than her learners yet.

They are both homebodies, and I am willing to drive them wherever, although sometimes I think it would be convenient for ME to have more drivers in the family. But when I think of the extra bills - no way.

GardenMom

The most ineffective arguement in our house is, "All my friends' parents do A, B, or C!!" A lot of ds's friends' parents do things that my value system and common sense tell me are completely wrong, so that arguement never holds water with me and I've come to understand that what may (or may not) be right for other people's kids is not what has to be right for mine.

Ds16 has a permit, but will most likely not get a license until he turns 18 and can take the driver's test without passing a traffic safety class. (By that time, he'll have more than 2 years of driving experience with his permit.) This is because driver's ed now costs about $325-450 and it seems absolutely foolish to pay that amount of money to put my somewhat irresponsible child behind the wheel of a vehicle. He has the option to pay for that himself, but it just hasn't been a priority for him, probably because we won't provide him with the vehicle. That's a HUGE responsibility that we feel he needs to earn to appreciate. (My younger brother promptly crashed every car my parents gave him.)

Poor ds also doesn't have unrestricted internet access (liberal, but not completely unrestricted), a cell phone, his own computer, a TV in his room, or any of the other luxuries his spoiled friends (and I do mean spoiled!) take for granted, haven't earned, and therefore don't appreciate. We're very mean!

Stand your ground and do what's right for your kid and your family, whatever it is. They'll realize the value in the lessons one day.

In our house... they take drivers ed when they are old enough (semester before they turn 16) and get their driver's permit. But that is as far as it can go if they don't meet our requirements :D. We have raised two so far through driving. We feel that they need to practice driving in order to be proficient drivers and we want them to do their practicing under our supervision. But we won't allow them to drive on their own if we don't feel they are ready.

Niece got her permit as allowed (drivers ed is automatic for high school students when they are old enough to take it in public school). She turned 16 in Oct of her sophmore year. She took DE that semester and got her license in March of her sophmore year. But she met all our requirements... good grades, followed house rules, made wise choices (well as wise as a teen is capable of :lol:).

Nephew turned 16 in mid August after sophmore year. He did not keep good grades, did not follow house rules, did not make wise choices. He ended up taking drivers ed over the summer and got his permit when he turned 16. We figured he didn't need to use up a class period in school for DE with low grades in his other courses.. so he was put in study hall instead. We did not allow him to get his drivers license until he turned 18.

Our twins will turn 15 this April. They will probably take Drivers Ed the spring of next year (semester of turning 16). But they will not get their license until they are 17 at earliest.

Also we have strict rules about our teens driving once they get their licenses. No passengers, without parent also present, until have had a license for at least 6 months or age 18 which ever comes first. Also teen has to pay for insurance, their gas, and upkeep of car they use. We usually lend them a car for their use (dh owns a used car dealership so he can get great deals if he wants). We will not buy them a car for them to keep.

Dh used to be in military police and had taken several defensived driving courses. He teaches our teens what he knows and he makes them practice a lot of driving scenerious in all weather before they are allowed to get a license.

I am glad that IL has made it tougher since our niece learned to drive. But we still are stricter than the state requirements.

IL State requirements are: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/drivers/programs/gdl.html

Edited by AnitaMcC

I have seen studies that the highest proportion of fatal accidents happens in the 16-18 year old crowd. My dd (who is currently 15) will not be getting a license until she is old enough to get it without needing parental consent. This is both because of these studies that I have read and because of her stunning history of appalling judgment.

Tara

if you and dh don't think he's ready, he isn't. period.

Who cares what anyone else thinks? Let them think all they want. Frankly, it's none of their business!

Ds waited until he was 17 and 4 months, to be exact, ;) to get his license and first car. Our insurance was cheaper because of his great grades and because he waited longer to drive. It's still expensive, though, and he's the one who has to pay for the insurance, so he has a job. If his grades slip, the job goes, the insurance is cancelled, and the car stays parked. This week is a telling week as he's supposed to have a large amt. of work done and he procrastinates at EVERYTHING. If the work isn't done, the job and insurance go, and the car will remain parked until the end of the school year. Then we'll look like the mean, strict parents to all his friends who have free reign in the world. Oh well, so be it!

Oldest dd got her permit when she was 16.5 and drove us around for a whole year. She got her license right before her 18th birthday.

According to our insurance company dd's car insurance was nearly $100 less per month just because she started driving at the age of 17! If she would have started driving at age 16 her rate not only would have been higher that year--it would still be at that rate the year she was 17!

Middle dd just turned 17 and has had her permit since last fall. She is eligible to get her license at the end of February. She WILL be getting it then--but will not have free access to any car. She needs to drive herself to CC (30 miles each way) classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays (I just could not get her schedule and her sister's schedule to work out).

We are planning the '17' rule for youngest dd too--but that depends on the legal driving age when we get to that point--there is talk about it going up to 18--and I hope it does!

We signed my oldest up for drivers' ed at 15 over his objections. He didn't really want to do this, but I felt we would be getting into situations where it would be helpful to us if he had his license. He is 16 and has had his permit for 11 months and will be getting his license soon and only because he has demonstrated responsibility in the car. We does not have the thrill seeking personality so I am confident he will not be out joyriding:).

I want my children to have as much driving experience as possible while they are under our supervision and guidance before they are out on their own. Having a license sooner rather than later helps us accomplish this.

:iagree: This is most likely how we will handle it with ds12. I didn't get my license until I was almost 17, dh wrecked his car 3 days after getting his license on his 16th birthday. We were at the opposite extremes of responsibility at that age, thankfully I didn't know him then.

I want my ds to gain experience while he is still under our roof. He's pretty mature for his age, and we are already planning on giving him my car once he gets his license. I consider anytime I drive him somewhere to be training. I point out how others are driving, what I do in a situation, and what consequences could happen.

Driving is not a right, it's a privelege that can be revoked.

I don't think there is anything wrong with what you are doing. Just because you can get a license at 16 doesn't mean you have to. We only have one child and I still cringe when I think about adding an inexperienced driver to our policy.

Our 19 yo dd got her learner's permit at 15.5. But she SLOWLY did the book course and just before she turned 18 she took behind the wheel training from a local school. The years between she would drive with us. That's what we are going to do with dd who turns 15.5 in April. There is a big difference in the maturity level of a 16 yo and an 18 yo. Plus, we live in northern VA and the drivers are CRAZY here. She needs A LOT of practice before we will let her drive alone!

One added note, our insurance didn't go up at all with the permit, just the license.

Mary

Our oldest just got her license 2 weeks ago.

She started driver ed just after she turned 15yo. She got her learner's permit just before 15.5yo. It took her just over one full year to get the 50 hours of driving time required. She was 16y9mo when she got her license and her permit was going to expire in just 3 months.

She actually hasn't driven since she got her license except to drive us away from the DPS office. Her cc classes start next week though, and she'll be driving herself there. It's only 7 minutes from our house, so she won't be going very far.

We drug out heels until my son got interested enough to insist on getting his permit (about 2 months after his birthday). Then we drug our heels about getting in the number of hours of driving time needed in order to move up to the initial licensing (60). We just made excuses during bad weather, etc. until about a year had gone by before he finished up the permit stage (last June).

In that way, he was always only driving with us and in situations that we felt were safe and we had extra time to talk to him about driving. At the end of that time, we insisted on a set of driving lessons. This helped with insurance costs as well as giving us a non-interested third-party adult who reinforced the sorts of things we'd been saying for a year.

Then we didn't get in a hurry about setting up his testing for him. He had to take the initiative for all that. Once he got the license, we confined the driving to short distances close to home, with constant checks on where he was, when he was home, etc., etc.

We didn't make any effort to remind him when it was time to move up to the full license, but let him take the initiative for that as well (and my son tends to forget about such things).

He's now 17 1/2 and just got his full license over Christmas break. We still keep tabs on where he's at and we watch for him when we know he's on the road and we'll be passing him, to see how he's driving. He has some processing delays and thus far, he's been worried enough about hurting himself to drive slowly. If that were to change, or if he were to do something else risky or inappropriate, then the privilege of using a family car might be withdrawn for some period of time (or forever) and he is well aware of that.

No, I would not let anyone pressure me into getting into a hurry with this. A car is a formidable weapon of mass destruction.

A lady who works with my husband saw her senior daughter killed the week of her senior prom last year. She had gone out joyriding on some of our very narrow farm roads over her lunch hour and was jumping hills on a road behind my house. She lost control and went into an unforgiving ironwood tree on the edge of the road. Even though her parents had purchased one of those cars supposedly specially built with extra reinforcement for young drivers - at least 2 of the four people in the car died (and one girl was still in a coma the last I knew about it). Only one person miraculously walked away.

Unfortunately, with cars, one mistake might be all it takes to kill or maim. There might not be any opportunity for learning or second chances....

You know your son better than anyone. If you know that he's not ready, then go with your gut, please.

In our state, they can get a permit to learn at 14 3/4 years, so we will be dealing with this in the next year. We will have dd get her permit at 16 and her license at a minimum age of 18, later if we think they aren't ready. Dh and I are in complete agreement. We want her to have a lot of experience, but based on OUR experiences don't want her driving so young. :001_huh:

My boys will turn 16 in late March. At that point, they will go through driver's ed and do whatever they need to do to get their learner's permits.

Before we will let them drive anywhere by themselves, they will each have to log 100 hours driving time in a car in which the front passenger seat is occupied by either me or DH. We will ask them to drive in all kinds of weather, roads, and traffic situations. In the winter, they will resume practice driving with DH and I in snowy, icy conditions. This is to give them some experience before they get caught on unsafe roads due to the weather.

There is a website about teen driving here: http://www.teendriving.com/.

I can't vouch for it yet because I've only glanced at it.

We can't afford to buy even one more car or to pay for additional insurance. I plan to cross those bridges when I come to them.

By the time each boy has logged 100 hours extra driving practice time with DH or me, they will probably be 17. That's a lot of hours when one has triplets, but we believe it will add an extra layer of safety to their driving experience.

Edited by RoughCollie

Both my older dd's started driver's training at 14.5 (think our state must have one of the youngest ages), had a learner's permit for 6+ mos and then got their licenses. Even after they had their licenses, they were required to drive with either their dad or me. They both had jobs when they were 16, and after we felt comfortable with them driving alone, they were allowed to drive to work. Once they had a job, they were required to pay their own insurance and have continued to do so.

One reason we went ahead and let them drive younger is that we wanted them to have more practice time with us. If we had them wait until they were 17, by the time they finished driver's training and the learner's permit, they would be almost 18 and might be leaving home. The way it was, they drove with us for almost 2.5 years, and believe me, they needed that added supervised driving. I never had reason to think they were being irresponsible (at least to my knowledge); they simply lacked experience. I'm glad we had the extra driving time.

Our oldest took driver's ed with the local public high school, so he got his at 16. Oldest dd finally got hers a few months after she was 16 because she needed to drive herself to daily college classes. With the triplets, who are 15, H has her learner's permit and the boys have their farm permits.

Our boys start driving around 13 or so on the roads to help with chores, but not on highways. They've been driving in pastures for.................forever?

Same here. DS, now 18 just got his license on the last day of 2009. He has been driving on our property since he was 12 or 13. We explained that there was no need for him to drive out on the road (even though it would have been nice sometimes to have drive himself). He never showed any signs of not being ready but I categorically think 15/16 is too young. Again this was our decision for our son.

Do what you think is right for your children and let not others tell you what they think is right.

Many of ds's friends already had licenses before he got his and they were younger - it does not mean anything.

I am hoping he will be a better, safer driver because he is older and he had a LOT of practice.

In NC, kids can take drivers ed at 14.5, get their permit at 15, and get their license after 12 months with a permit. My 16 yo's school offers drivers ed twice a year, and we were at WDW the first time she was eligible. So she took drivers ed and got her permit at 15 and 3 months. She's become a good driver and she is pretty level-headed for a teenager. The only issue that will keep her from getting her license at 16 and 3 months is whether we can afford the extra insurance cost. We might wait until she turns 17 yo.

Personally, I think it's a good idea to at least get the permit if not the license, because I want our kids to have plenty of driving experience before leaving home.

Edited by LizzyBee
Our 19 yo dd got her learner's permit at 15.5. But she SLOWLY did the book course and just before she turned 18 she took behind the wheel training from a local school. The years between she would drive with us. That's what we are going to do with dd who turns 15.5 in April. There is a big difference in the maturity level of a 16 yo and an 18 yo. Plus, we live in northern VA and the drivers are CRAZY here. She needs A LOT of practice before we will let her drive alone!

One added note, our insurance didn't go up at all with the permit, just the license.

Mary

Was the permit good for all those years, or did she need to reapply for it each year? In AZ, a permit is only good for one year. I'm guessing they can take the test each year, but I don't know that for sure because it isn't addressed anywhere.

Barb

I don't remember even talking about it that much - we just put off getting enrolled in a drivers ed class and then delayed getting permit, and that sets everything on a delay. I think our son got his actual, unrestricted license closer to 18. In NC they can take Drivers Ed before they even turn 15, get a permit at 15 and drive at 16 but with a few restrictions, as I recall, about hours and who else can be in the car. We just set it all back by over a year and were happy with that decision. I really think 16 is young for driving.

I took driver's ed at 17, but didn't get my license until I was 19. I simply couldn't afford the insurance or to own a car. My parents happily drove me to work and to the barn where I kept my horse. I practiced for the 2 years I had my permit with my parents in the car. It was my choice to not drive.

I plan on holding off with my own children. I don't feel that it is necessary for them to drive the day they turn 16 or to have a permit at 15½. I will let them obtain a permit after completing driver's ed and they can practice until they are financially responsible for themselves, legally speaking anyhow.

No of the kids who have left home so far got their license before they left. The first two were older than 21 and the last one was 18. The 16 year old will be 17 soon and she hasn't even got her permit yet. She's not in any hurry either. I hope the last two take after the rest of them. :001_smile:

15 is the age for a permit here. At 15, you can drive with another adult over 21 who has had their licensee for 3 years.

In order to get a 'real' license, you have to have 100 hours of driving or 50 hours with an approved driver's ed course and then be 16 and have had your permit for 6 months. We then have a graduated license with passenger limits and a curfew.

Having said all that my 15 yo does have her permit and is currently taking driver's ed at the local high school. She will not be getting her license until we believe she is ready. She can drive on her permit with us until she's 18, if that's what it takes.

We opted to have her obtain her permit so that she can practice with us. A lot. I'm not comfortable turning her loose on the streets just because she turns 16.

We do not add her to our insurance until she obtains her license, so there is no added expense.

Here in Australia they can get their learners (drive with an adult) at 16 and their P plates (drive alone) at 18.

I think we will be allowing DS to get his learners as he has to clock up 120 hours before he is allowed to apply for his P's and if anything goes wrong in the test, they deduct hours. So he really needs 130-140 hours.

My kids will get their licenses when dh and I say they can get their licenses.

I don't let the state determine what level math book my kids use, why would I let them determine what number = "mature enough to drive"???

Dh and I come from a state where you have to be 17 to get a license. In our eyes, that's the youngest age that makes any sense at all.

:iagree:

My ds just turned 15 last week and got his learner's permit. When he turns 16yo+3 days (dumb law, don't ask) he'll get his driver's license. My dd is now 16 (will turn 17 in a few months). She's had her license for 6 months now and drives herself to her college classes every day. In my state, a dc cannot get a driver's license at 16 *unless* he/she has had a defensive driver's course and 40 hours of supervised instruction. Otherwise, they have to wait until 17. Also, an attendance form must be signed by the school (in our case, the local department of education) showing no more than 10 days of absences from school.

Before coming of age for learner's permits, both kids have driven cars/trucks/tractors/motorcycles/atv's/horses and such all over our property. Nothing like big pastures for learning to drive.

Mine get their permits when they turn 15. I want them to have as much practice with me in the car as possible. They probably drive an average of an hour a day. They get a driver's license to be a benefit to me. So far, that is exactly how it has worked. They are allowed to take my vehicle with my permission. If they could afford their own car and insurance costs, they would be welcome to have free reign with it. So far, the eldest has been a tremendous help. She also has free access to a car for personal use. She has shown herself to be very responsible.

a child can get a permit at 14.5 yo and take DE then. Once he passes DE, he must wait 6 months and get 50 hours of driving time with his parent before he can test for the license.

My oldest had no desire at 14, and didn't get his license until he was 17. Very good choice for this child.

My middle son got his permit the day after he was 14.5, signed himself up at a private DE school, which he paid for himself. He is currently 2 months and 20 hours away from getting a license. We will allow him to do so, but he will not have total freedom once he gets his license. We allowed him to get one at an early age, because he is very responsible.

My youngest, now 12, will not be allowed to take DE until she's 16, because I will not feel comfortable with it until then. She's also very responsible, but for other reasons I don't want her driving until then.

I say parents need to use their noggins and do what they feel is best for their children. Driving is a HUGE responsibily, and I don't think most 14 or 15 years olds are ready for it.

He got his learners at 15. He was not allowed to get his license until he was able to afford a car, maintenance and the insurance. I refuse to pay the extra $$$(yes I put 3 $'s that is how much ours went up a month!!!)

:iagree:

My DS will get his permit ASAP for him to gain the experience. His licenses is a different story all together.

I haven't read all the replies, so forgive any repetition.

I think the individual teen's temperament and level of responsibility is foremost to consider.

That said, my 15 yo has had his permit for nearly a year. He is extremely observant and responsible, and he is taller than I am (think good visibility). He has read all of our vehicle owners' manuals cover to cover. So, in some ways, he's more prepared than I am!

Our state requires 50 practice hours with an adult driver present before a license is issued at 16. Ten of these hours must be at night. We are going through a book called Crash Proof Your Kids, for which I may award a fourth of a credit on his transcript.

He could get a restricted license at age 15 once the hours are completed. I would like to wait until he's 17, but the reality is that if he needs to take a class at the community college, which he will next year, I may have to rely on him to drive himself. In an ideal world, I'd chauffeur him and take an art class while he's in calc or whatever I can't teach him at home. But with 3 other kids needing my attention... My time budget simply does not allow for it.

Once he does start driving, we will still have certain requirements for a while, regarding passengers, music, routes to avoid, etc.