Menu

Do You Have a Relative Who Was Home Educated?

Guest mrs. logic

Guest mrs. logic

My grandmother was home educated in the mid 1900's using the Charlotte Mason method of education.

My mother on the flip side home educated me from infancy through age 5 1/2 years.

Yes, that is why I never considered homeschooling until I found myself in a hideous school district. My uncle & aunt were pretty dysfunctional but my cousins are great people. They all are happily married and supporting successful families. None of them homeschool.

Edited by True Blue

My aunt very successfully homeschooled her two boys who are now both very nice young men. One is a computer guy for a private company (forgive me if I don't know exactly what he does, but it is very techy). The other was honor guard for the Coast Guard and has moved on to another equally cool assignment.

I'm very glad she broke the homeschool barrier in my family. My entire extended family is supportive of homeschooling, thanks in no small part to the effort she put into it and the wonderful men her boys have become.

Nope no one at all.

When I told my parents we would homeschool, it took a while for it to sink in. Then my mom remembered that a good friend of hers had homeschooled her first child for grade 1 (and grade 1 only). That child was legally blind, although she did have a little bit of vision. She did manage to learn to read but it really took a one-on-one situation to achieve it. As soon as she could read, she was shipped to school.

That was the extent of homeschooling in our families.

And when I think about it a bit more, most of my uncles were sent to boarding schools! That was just the way it was for my family back then.

My niece and nephew. They are twins and SIL had a really hard time the first couple of years due to learning disabilites in both children. Once she got her groove on, though, things have been great.

And my niece and nephew are a couple of the coolest, sweetest kids I know.

My youngest sister was homeschooled since kindergarten.

My middle sister was homeschooled from sometimes in high school.

I was never homeschooled though.

My husbands cousin was homeschooled from elementary (I think kindergarten) until high school when she wanted to go to a private school.

My husband's other cousin homeschools her three daughters (12, 8, and 5)....all since kindergarten.

My brother was for high school. He then went into the military and did very well on all entrance exams. He is now out of the military and in college.

My sister homeschools 6 of her kids.

My cousin homeschools her 4 kids.

Edited by Jlynn
add more info

One brother took correspondence courses for two years during high school - he had been expelled from boarding school for that time. It was horrible, but much of that was because he was using drugs during that time. I wanted to stay home and homeschool so badly but my mom decided after her experience with my brother that she just couldn't do it.

My eldest brother (a different one) homeschooled his 4 kids up until high school. My eldest niece from that family is dead-set against homeschooling because she was lonely.

Yes, my husband (33) and his 4 younger sisters (now 31, 30, 28, 27) were homeschooled K-12.

All 5 attended college, and did well- academically & otherwise. My husband and 2 of his sisters have earned Masters Degrees, another sister is an RN and the other sister a linguistics major turned graphic design artist. ;)

Laura

My mom and her siblings were homeschooled at least a year. They were living overseas. She wouldn't say it was a positive experience, though I'm not sure any of her varied school experiences were particularly positive.

I was homeschooled my junior year, my sister the next (her freshman year).

My aunt homeschooled my two cousins. I've had a few cousins homeschool their children (some are still homeschooling). My sister homeschools her kids.

Homeschooling in general is very accepted within my large extended family.

My brother who is five years younger than me was homeschooled from 6th through High School. My Mom wishes now that she had homeschooled us all. She started because my parents had moved to an area in KY with very poor schools. She continued even after moving to AL because they lived on a farm in the middle of the country & my brother loved being homeschooled.

My niece and nephew (in High School & college) were both homeschooled through 9th grade.

The extended family is very supportive of homeschooling.

My mom homeschooled my younger brother (now 28) for high school.

I think that helped pave the way with my grandparents (who are more like my parents); they didn't bat an eye when I said I was going to homeschool my kids.

At least...they didn't bat an eye to my face. ;)

The closest I can claim is my cousin's fiance who was homeschooled for a few years (late elementary/early middle), as were some of her siblings. She's gaining a father-in-law and brother-in-law who are ps teachers, and she just finished school and got her own K-8 certification. It's nice to have her in my corner at family get togethers. :)

Guest Virginia Dawn

my 5 kids.

Both my brothers are home-educating their children. One of my nephews was for a couple of years, but there were issues because his birth mother is not married to my brother any more and he wasn't living full time with my brother. Most of my other neices and nephews are too young yet, but 1 neice and one nephew are currently being taught at home.

My two oldest sons are both dating home-educated girls who could potentially become future daughters-in-law.

This was not set up, it just happened that they met these girls in places outside of homeschooling and found they had a lot in common-- especially a love of reading, lol.

My daughter married the son of a school teacher, :-)

I grew up in Southern New Hampshire and I never knew a soul growing up that was homeschooled. I really never even heard of it until I moved to Florida at the age of 22 (19 yrs ago). I did not have a good public school experience, so homeschooling intrigued me from the moment I heard the word.

I remembered another distant relative who homeschooled her children through high school....

I hope this isn't considered a "hijack," but I'm interested if the relative "success" of the homeschooling situation affects your relatives' view of various schooling avenues, especially homeschooling. If, for example, someone "crashed and burned," the relatives might look askance to hear you are "following in their footsteps," but if someone turned out well and seems well-balanced, people might be more open-minded.

Guest mrs. logic
I remembered another distant relative who homeschooled her children through high school....

I hope this isn't considered a "hijack," but I'm interested if the relative "success" of the homeschooling situation affects your relatives' view of various schooling avenues, especially homeschooling. If, for example, someone "crashed and burned," the relatives might look askance to hear you are "following in their footsteps," but if someone turned out well and seems well-balanced, people might be more open-minded.

Excellant question!

:)

i wish I had some relatives that were homeschooled; that might have made it easier for certain family members to accept that we are, you know? But alas, we have no one. My boys are the only children in my family, as well as my dh's family, who are homeschooled. We're the 'homeschool freaks'. LOL. :tongue_smilie: Little inside family joke; that's what I refered to us as with my husband's sister that I'm closest with. :) She went to ps, college, got a law degree, and now is deciding to be a stay at home wife and trying to have a child. So she and I have found some common ground in the 'growing up' process that is life. :001_smile:

One family in my family (iykwIm) hsed. They have one daughter that everyone considers a success. She went on to get her Masters. Another daughter I consider a success is very happy in what she does, although it did not require a college degree. Yet another daughter that I haven't got the foggiest clue about. She lives on her own, so we can assume her success, she is self-sufficient. Their son gave them no end of grief, ended up in all sorts of trouble in high school, but still ended up a success (I'm guessing). Everything I've heard from him he has gobs of money is always traveling.

Now, I'm hsing the boys and everyone expects me to put them in for hs, because of what happened to you-know-who. :glare:

Ime, being the only hsers in a family has two consequences: a. everyone watches for you to fail. It seemed like any of the ordinary troubles my cousins ran into where all 'due to hsing' instead of due to be ordinary kids, and b. you have to go above and beyond. I always used to think my cousins were dreadful show-offs. Now, though, I completely understand why every accomplishment was followed by LOUD announcements. Their poor mom got credit for any wrong-doing, but had to twist arms to get a kudo or two. I'm doing better at keeping mum, but there are times when I want to rant and rave.

My mother had tutors until she was 15, I think, then she went to a boarding school and then to a Siberian prison camp when she was 16.

I was a homebound student for the second half of my 10th grade. I also wanted to be homeschooled but didn't know if anyone could do that though I did look longingly at the Calvert School ads when I was little. I self educated myself a lot since I thougth the schools weren't teaching me enough. I started a collection of old school books when I was about 7 or 8 and learned from those the things I wasn't being taught like grammer.

yes... and it's what originally kept me from HSing my own kids! I had such a bad view of homeschooling because of these family members. Very very very unschooly/anti-schooly... all 3 kids are in their mid/late twenties now, and they all live at home, never went to college, 2 don't have jobs, and one works at a theme park.

Thankfully, I did my own research and was able to see past them!

I'm interested if the relative "success" of the homeschooling situation affects your relatives' view of various schooling avenues, especially homeschooling.

I don't think my parents and grandparents correlate my brother being homeschooled with how his life turned out.

No one has ever said anything to that effect, anyway.