Menu

Traditional Logic vs Art of Argument

We just started AoA and it is alright. I'm considering getting Traditional Logic instead, however was wondering what the difference is between the two. Is one perhaps...easier? :blushing:

Are different concepts covered or is it only presentation that is different? Does one lean more toward religious doctrine than the other?

Thoughts, please?

We just started AoA and it is alright. I'm considering getting Traditional Logic instead, however was wondering what the difference is between the two. Is one perhaps...easier? :blushing:

Are different concepts covered or is it only presentation that is different? Does one lean more toward religious doctrine than the other?

Thoughts, please?

We use The Art of Reasoning by David Kelley, as our logic course. It's conservative, but not religious at all. You can order the answer key from the publisher. You can purchase the text from Amazon.com and other online book sellers.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Reasoning-Third-David-Kelley/dp/0393972135

I discovered the text on the the Bluedorn's site before the brothers published Fallacy Detective.

Here's their review of the text:

http://www.fallacydetective.com/articles/read/the-art-of-reasoning-by-david-kelley

Although the Bluedorn's consider The Art of Reasoning a high school level text, my ds had no problem with the material, nor does my DD, Storm, who uses the text at her charter school in 8th grade. Taz used the text over 7th & 8th grades, and Storm as a one year course in 8th grade.

Edited by Carmen_and_Company