Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiver0f10

CC courses and SAT II test

If a student takes a course at the CC does it makes sense to also do a SAT II test? I am thinking the college will look at the CC grade before relying on the SAT II score?

I would say it depends.

Some colleges want SAT2 scores regardless of whether a student has taken a CC course. You'd have to check the specific colleges and find out their requirements.

Another thing to be aware of is that the CC course may not cover the same material that is tested on the SAT2 exam. SAT2 exam content is based on a one-year high school course at an introductory level, while a one-semester CC course might cover less material but in much more depth.

We found this to be true for Chemistry. The CC offers a 2-semester sequence of Chemistry, but it's more in-depth than the SAT2 test requires. However, just taking the 1st semester Chem course (which is all that's required for some majors), doesn't cover all the topics that are on the SAT2, so the student is likely to score poorly on the SAT2 if he's only taken 1 semester of Chem at the CC and doesn't have a strong Chem background otherwise.

My own general feeling is that the student should only take an SAT2 if it's required by a college, or if it's in a subject where you don't have an outside grade and it's important to show your student's mastery of the subject.

YMMV,

Brenda

All I know is that on the U of FL site, they specify SAT-II or college credit. Since all schools (cc & U) in our state system matriculate, there would be no reason for them to require an SAT on top of a college class credit.

All I know is that on the U of FL site, they specify SAT-II or college credit. Since all schools (cc & U) in our state system matriculate, there would be no reason for them to require an SAT on top of a college class credit.

Thanks. I think that does make sense.

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE A COUPON FOR
10% OFF
We respect your privacy.You’ll hear about new products, special discounts & sales, and homeschooling tips. *Coupon only valid for first-time registrants. Coupon cannot be combined with any other offer. Entering your email address makes you eligible to receive future promotional emails.
0 Shares
Tweet
Pin