Menu

Do your students take their AP classes online, at PS school, or do you design

Ds1 has done both online (through PAHomeschoolers or Florida Virtual School) and homegrown (*authorized* syllabus by the College Board). We've elected not to do ps classes just because of logistics. His outside commitments prevented him from attending a 5-day-a-week class and I felt the time lost in the commute, getting ready to go, settling back down after getting home, was too great.

HTH,

Lisa

Ds1 has done both online (through PAHomeschoolers or Florida Virtual School) and homegrown (*authorized* syllabus by the College Board). We've elected not to do ps classes just because of logistics. His outside commitments prevented him from attending a 5-day-a-week class and I felt the time lost in the commute, getting ready to go, settling back down after getting home, was too great.

HTH,

Lisa

How do you put together an authorized syllabus that will be approved by College Board?

them yourself?

Dd has self-studied for one AP test, and is doing it for another one this year. I cannot list the course on her transcript as AP, but I will make sure that I indicate that she took the exam after completing the course. She has also taken one AP course from PA Homeschoolers, and is taking another AP course from them this year.

We aren't allowed to join the public schools for classes here.

My son self studied for AP Bio. He is currently taking AP Latin online and is being poked and prodded along by his mother in AP Calc. Both Biology and Calculus are listed on his transcript as plain vanilla Biology and Calculus. AP Latin has been approved by the College Board and is listed as such. Off in a side window of the transcript is a place where I indicate test scores. This list includes AP.

DS has taken Biology, Chemistry, Lang & Composition, Calculus, Statistics*, Computer Science and Macrocon from PA HS'ers on-line. He self-studied or is self-studying for English Lit, Am Gov't, Microecon and Physics C. I teach their Statistics course so you might say that we self-studied for this one too.

As others mentioned, between the time lost for travel, getting ready to leave, getting back into the groove when you get back home just didn't seem worth the trouble to take a class at the CC.

Our PS does not permit homeschoolers to participate in any of their activities or classes.

Carole

How do you put together an authorized syllabus that will be approved by College Board?

If you go to AP Central at College Board, you will find lots of information. For each AP class, College Board has posted several sample syllabi as well as full course descriptions. You can also google and find lots of syllabi posted on teacher sites. Once you have your syllabus, just submit it to the College Board. My syllabus was approved very quickly and I have the option to renew each year. I've called the AP Central 1-800 number several times and have always received prompt and pleasant help.

HTH,

Lisa

Ds. is taking AP Human Geography and AP US Govt. and Politics with PA Homeschoolers. So far, I am pleased with the way both courses are set up. We will see how he does on his exams. This is first year with APs. He also takes AP English Language and Composition with a class offered locally. He is doing very well in this class too - his grades have been excellent. You can design the syllabus on your own and send it to CB for auditing. It was a lot of work for me.

them yourself?

My son is taking AP Bio at the local ps.

If I had not been able to arrange that, I was prepared to build a self-study course using College Board guidelines, then have him take the test wherever we could get into a test date.

I've heard good things about PA AP classes, but the price is just too high for us.

Karen

My two oldest have/are doing non-CB-approved self-study for several APs each.

Ds took Chemistry, MicroEcon, and Calculus AB (Sr year).

Dd took Chemistry, MicroEcon, and English Language & Comp (Jr year).

Dd is studying both Physics C exams, Calculus BC, and English Lit & Comp (Sr year) right now.

For all of these except Physics C, I researched and chose textbooks and study guides, and worked out a study plan with my student. Kathy in Richmond on these boards gave me her Physics C plan that worked with her two dc, and for that I am VERY grateful! I look at AP Central, the PA homeschoolers AP site, the WTM boards, teacher's syllabi available on the internet, and College Confidential for ideas.

All but the Chemistry exam Ds took have resulted in 5s (he got a 3 on that - it was a big disappointment, but he aced his college chem class).

Self-study is a valid option if you have a strong student who is self-motivated and a good test taker. A lot of public and private school students self-study as well.

On the transcript, I just use a footnote to indicate that the class is AP exam prep. I like the idea of including the scores on the transcript, though, and will try to find room for them on my younger childrens'.

GardenMom