Menu

Jackdaw Publications -- Appropriate for What Grade Levels?

For those who have utilized primary source document material from Jackdaw Publications ...

I've checked out the Jackdaw website's FAQ page and it says grade levels are indicated in their product descriptions. I've cleaned the smudges off my reading glasses and even put on a pair with a higher magnification, but I'm just not seeing where this is indicated :blink:. I see that they have grouped together some of their primary source material for upper elementary/middle, so I'm assuming anything else would be high school. Am I correct? If so, what highschool ages/grade levels seem to be the best fit? Was the material a hit with your learners? Were the teacher notes helpful?

Thanks!

For those who have utilized primary source document material from Jackdaw Publications ...

I've checked out the Jackdaw website's FAQ page and it says grade levels are indicated in their product descriptions. I've cleaned the smudges off my reading glasses and even put on a pair with a higher magnification, but I'm just not seeing where this is indicated :blink:. I see that they have grouped together some of their primary source material for upper elementary/middle, so I'm assuming anything else would be high school. Am I correct? If so, what highschool ages/grade levels seem to be the best fit? Was the material a hit with your learners? Were the teacher notes helpful?

Thanks!

Some are better that others, even the HS ones could be used in upper middle. I get mine through ILL. Free!

It's been a while, because I bought a couple of these for my two oldest when they were in middle school. I really like most of the WTM recommendations, but these were a flop with us. I can't believe I spent so much money on these!

They would probably be appropriate for middle-high school. They are oversized thin folders that have copies of the original documents that you can mostly find online for free, background info (also readily available elsewhere for free), and writing/activity suggestions, that we didn't use.

I'd recommend skipping these.

GardenMom

It's been a while, because I bought a couple of these for my two oldest when they were in middle school. I really like most of the WTM recommendations, but these were a flop with us. I can't believe I spent so much money on these!

I completely agree. Especially about the $$$ part.

They would probably be appropriate for middle-high school. They are oversized thin folders that have copies of the original documents that you can mostly find online for free, background info (also readily available elsewhere for free), and writing/activity suggestions, that we didn't use.

I'd recommend skipping these.

GardenMom

:iagree: You can create your own primary source materials from History Source Books for Ancient, Medieval, Modern, African, East Asian, Jewish, Indian, etc. The links to the guides are in the blue area to your left, and as links if you scroll down the main page.

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/