Menu

Physics & Chemistry "for fun"

I asked my middle schooler what he would study if he could choose any subject, and he said, "physics and chemistry." (This is my guy who borrows books on DNA from the library "for fun.")

He's not ready for those subjects yet math-wise (currently in pre-algebra), but are there any FUN books he can read on these subject on his own?

TIA!

I asked my middle schooler what he would study if he could choose any subject, and he said, "physics and chemistry." (This is my guy who borrows books on DNA from the library "for fun.")

He's not ready for those subjects yet math-wise (currently in pre-algebra), but are there any FUN books he can read on these subject on his own?

TIA!

Your son sounds just like mine.

He asked if we could take his history and science books on vacation.

Specifically, "Exploring the World of Chemistry" and "Exploring the World of Physics" would suit his current interests. Those books do not include any experiments to speak of, so coupling them with the Janice Van Cleave physics and chemistry experiment books or with Real Science 4 Kids would be great.

Carol, thanks! Can he do these independently? I have a number of teacher-intensive subjects to juggle and am hoping for something he can do on his own.

Your son sounds just like mine.

He asked if we could take his history and science books on vacation.

Mine did, too! :lol:

How much do you value the intact nature of your garage and kitchen, LOL?

But certainly, if he is a strong reader he can read and comprehend the Tiner books, and if he reads them a few times I'm sure that he'll have some significant retention. They talk a lot about the history of discoveries and the inventors who discovered them, as well as the pure scientific content. Make sure that he has a stand alone periodic table to go with the Chemistry book, and ask him to tell you about each of the element families after he covers it, and he will end up knowing quite a bit of chemistry--especially chemical properties--without having to do any algebra.

The Elements: A Visual Exploration of Every Known Atom in the Universe by Theodore Gray is a stunning book that your son might enjoy browsing through.

Another good book is The New Way Things Work by David Macaulay.

:iagree:

Seconding both of these! He might also enjoy poking around on Nottingham U's video version of the periodic table (lots of crazy experiments & explosions!): http://www.periodicvideos.com/

Jackie

and Backyard Ballistics. I just ordered a Thomas Gray Book - Experiments Not To Do At HOme or something like that (do I not learn???) There is plenty he can do without having all the math ... I'm not sure why everyone gets caught up in that. My now 12 yo kid has done chemistry (for example, making wine two days ago, sulphur stinky things today and lots of fireworks) and physics (catapults, handmade bows & arrows, rockets, rocket cars, propeller thingies, tesla thingie, motorized thingies, solar powered thingies, etc.) experiments since he was little - well, ok there have been at least 3 ER trips and a burn unit trip but it was all in the name of homeschooling!

Unfortunately, I'm not kidding about that ... anyway, maybe you would be a better supervisor than me! Point is that he can experiment lots with your watching him CLOSELY! We're doing bio (high school level) this year - so we're relatively safe except for his spare time ... next year, it'll be conceptual Chem & Physics (also early hi school level) ... could be scary - he will probably be done with Alg 2 by the middle of next year but as far as experiments and playing with things - I'm not sure that's so important. Except for aforementioned ER/Burn Unit trips.

Please do not report me to child abuse!

Edited by jlovebaker

The Elements: A Visual Exploration of Every Known Atom in the Universe by Theodore Gray is a stunning book that your son might enjoy browsing through.

He might also enjoy Homer Hickam's Rocket Boys which was the basis of the movie October Sky.

He has Way Things Work, but the others are new to me. Thanks, Kareni!

Seconding both of these! He might also enjoy poking around on Nottingham U's video version of the periodic table (lots of crazy experiments & explosions!): http://www.periodicvideos.com/

This looks great! Thanks, Jackie!

and Backyard Ballistics. I just ordered a Thomas Gray Book - Experiments Not To Do At HOme or something like that (do I not learn???) There is plenty he can do without having all the math ... I'm not sure why everyone gets caught up in that. My now 12 yo kid has done chemistry (for example, making wine two days ago, sulphur stinky things today and lots of fireworks) and physics (catapults, handmade bows & arrows, rockets, rocket cars, propeller thingies, tesla thingie, motorized thingies, solar powered thingies, etc.) experiments since he was little - well, ok there have been at least 3 ER trips and a burn unit trip but it was all in the name of homeschooling!

Well, my son has had his share of trips to the ER, too! Maybe it's an absent-minded professor thing! :lol: Thanks for the book ideas!

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/cms_content?page=1757131&sp=1016&event=1016PAC|1756631|1016

(Scroll down on the linked page to see the physics/chem)

I don't think my middle-schooler would have any problem with them and you can buy a couple to see what you think before committting to the whole thing. I might use it as a summer filler or to beef up his co-op science, depending on what they go with (two choices being debated now, one not as good IMHO).

Edited by GVA

Hmmm... Conceptual Physics had my son looking for high places to drop things from, preferably overhanging high places... Your next year could be interesting.

He already does this! Drives my husband crazy when he hears ds dropping things from the top of the stairs. :lol:

Thanks for this recommendation!

Edited by Handmaiden
added second quote

Unfortunately, I'm not kidding about that ... anyway, maybe you would be a better supervisor than me! Point is that he can experiment lots with your watching him CLOSELY! We're doing bio (high school level) this year - so we're relatively safe except for his spare time ... next year, it'll be conceptual Chem & Physics (also early hi school level) ... could be scary - he will probably be done with Alg 2 by the middle of next year but as far as experiments and playing with things - I'm not sure that's so important. Except for aforementioned ER/Burn Unit trips.

Please do not report me to child abuse!

Oh, Taz LOVED Backyard Ballistics! He made several potato launchers--lol. He liked Conceptual Physics by Hewitt, and several experiment books. He also built rockets, hoover crafts, and used robotics kits and manuals for building his own electric scooter and go-cart.