Menu

Are YOU a slacker? Or are you a glowing example of homeschooling prowess?

I haven't read the replies yet, but today, definitely a slacker. Out 3 nights this week, 2 of them with the kids. We are tired! I am sitting here drinking first cup of coffee at 9am! Hoping to get the younger ones started on math facts. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a bit of a Pharisee, following all the rules and getting our work done. [sigh] Oh well.

I'm usually pretty good about actual homeschooling. We have recently moved towards doing 5 days of work in 4 days. We do take occasional days off here and there, but as we start part-time during the summer, I don't feel bad about it. We use K12, so it's easy to log on and see our projected end-dates. That really keeps me motivated to stay on track.

Now housework and menu planning -- those are my slacker areas. I lack motivation, and have a hard time kicking myself in the pants to get those things done. Case in point: I'm sitting on the computer right now instead of doing housework. ;)

I don't feel I'm a slacker. I am sure my kids aren't the most educated (though they have a lot of thinking skills), but they have been well prepared for life.

My oldest (20) did 2 years of college, is doing a Medical Assistant internship right now and, if she likes the field, will continue with a nursing degree.

My second (18) is starting cosmetology school in April (this is her dream and she is really good at it).

My third (17) is starting community college in August. She will get an Associate of Science there and go on to nursing school. (well, that's her plan)

My son (almost 15) is the one who is reaping the benefits of any mistakes I might have made with the girls (though I'm sure there are times he really doesn't appreciate that!)

All of my girls have worked while schooling, paying for their car insurance, gas money and spending money. They have all learned how to manage their time, money and bank accounts.

I am overall pleased with the way their educations have gone.

As of Oct. 22 we have done very little for school, other than read for hours each day. My 2 youngest have started on their math again, but my highschoolers math is not to be found and until we get more insurance $ we aren't buying anything else. We have 10% or less of the school supplies that we started the year. So, this year- slacker- yep.

Many years I have been the paragon of kickyerbutt homeschooling. My kids know how to work their tails off. Other years we've had kids, had illness, moved, had fires, buried relatives, etc. and have focused on keeping everyone fed and emotionally healthy.

We're in it for the long haul so, like somebody else said, it all evens out. I doubt we'll create any rocket scientists here but our kids are eloquent, caring and cute. Which counts for a lot in my little world.

Edited by laughing lioness

Not a slacker but not a glowing example either. I'm a plugger. One of my mottoes is "slow and steady wins the race". This is one of the reasons we homeschool year around.

Yeah, I think I'm more like this. But I happen to be a major slacker at the moment ... since dh brought home this internet thingy. Guess I'll get hold of myself eventually. :) ;)

Not a slacker...I'm very consistent with math, history, LA. But I drag my feet on giving my kids experiences, such as field trips, taking outside classes, etc. I have a strange aversion to pinning myself down to a specific day at a specific time for a scheduled event. I will do things on the spur of the moment, but I really hate going on field trips with other people...I like going at my pace.:tongue_smilie:

That's me!! I can't stand to be commited to a specific date or time. It has gotten worse over the last year and now I pretty much stay home all day, every day since it is so cold/rainy outside. At least we have no excuse to not getting our school work done!:D

History and Language Arts are no problem. Math is challenging, but I've risen to it and been largely successful there. Languages haven't been a focus, but we've bumped along with them regardless. Science has been the area that I've really failed with. I've attempted program after program, strategy after strategy, but no dice.:confused:

Next year my rising 8th grader will do an online Science program (Apologia Physical Science via The Potter's Schoool). We're using TPA this year for a programming class (Logo to Lego) successfully, so I'm hoping the experience will translate.

My rising 6th grader will probably do a histroy of science next year, possibly the BF program.

Depends on what part of the year it is...

First semester I'm all over it!

Second semester I'm a bit of a slacker.

Here's what happens:

We're doing great so we decide to take a fall break in late Oct./early Nov. Then I figure since Thanksgiving is so close and we're so far ahead, we'll take off or slack off a bit until Thanksgiving. Then we don't do much through the first few weeks of December because you're supposed to take it easy that time of year. Then two weeks off for Christmas and New Year's.

After all that, it's REALLY hard to get motivated again. :glare:

:iagree:

This is us....sigh....Then we end up sick and lose a few weeks. Then swim champs happen....OY!!!

~~~Faithe

But I feel like I waste so much time nagging at the children to do their work, to put some effort into it, to try harder " because I'm not going to be there sitting right next to you the rest of your life." Work is getting done. I'm just tired (this week, anyway) of being the one pushing the effort.

I'm a slacker at practice. I'm GREAT with theory, in any subject, but I DREAD the practice - I hated science experiments in my own schooling (and was always the first one to answer the abstract theoretical questions :D, because I UNDERSTOOD the content, usually I knew exactly what would happen in an experiment and why, I just hated the actual DOING it), not to even mention art. I can "consume" it, but not produce it; I can do art history and theory, but not DO art.

I believe that I transferred some of those to my kids. We were always problematic with arts, crafts and scientific experiments. Both of my daughters are abstract thinkers so it wasn't so much a "problem", but I do realize they missed some important things. Also, it was probably at least partially my "fault" they ended up abstract thinkers, since we didn't dwell enough on the concrete while they were young.

What I'm great with are humanities though, and language arts (Italian); and since DH is a scientist, they have that aspect covered well too. :)