Menu

The Lightening Thief...what age?

I had never heard of this series until we saw a movie trailer for the upcoming movie. Would it be a good read-aloud for a 6 yr old boy or too old? I'm guessing too old...but I'm hoping someone will say good. :) I think I just want to read it myself. We're studying Greeks right now though so I thought this could be fun.

Dd 16 just read this in the last couple of days, and really loved it. I asked her if she thought it would be okay for a 6 yo. She said there are a few dark parts, and they go to Hades/the underworld, which has skeletons and spirits. I guess it depends on the 6 yo.

Lori

I would think a 6 year is too young. My 11 yr old and I just read the series and we enjoyed it but I wouldn't allow my 8 yr olds to read it yet. It has some intense scary scenes and subjects (like children out of wedlock) that I think a younger child might have a problem with. It also has some attitudes that are disrespectful, if not downright rude. My ds and I talked about all of these things while we were reading but I know my 8 year olds would have trouble with many of these things.

At the very least, I think you should pre-read it. I do this even with my 11 year old and then we discuss a book chapter by chapter.

A friend's little 8 year old is reading this series and she pointed out something I hadn't thought of when I read this. They had to discuss procreation because that is one of the main activities of the gods....and there is some discussion about the gods having affairs and babies with mortals...hence these kids who are called half-bloods.

DH read it and okayed it for our child (the series). He is 7 and whipped through the series. He is not what I would describe as "sensitive" to most things though in books, knowing they are fiction and easily able to distinguish. He has more trouble with nonfiction (the news and such). He really loved the series (DH too!).

Thanks for the responses! I may get it and "pre-read" (really just an excuse to read, since this looks like the kind of a series I would have loved as a kid). Then we can either read it later this year or save it for when it gets older. I would wait until after we talked about Greek gods and myths anyway. Either way, looks like a fun series.

Fwiw, I'd suggest reading the whole series before handing the 1st one over. One friend had a glowing report of the 1st one, & based on that was going to let her ds read them all. One of the later books has a suicide in it, though, & it's treated...well, heroicly. That might be a little delicate for some kids who'd otherwise love the series.

That said, I haven't read them myself. I just have reports from friends. :001_smile:

My six and seven year olds listened to all the books on cd and loved them. I think it depends on the child though. My kids aren't sensitive about such things. I could definitely see it being too intense for some six year olds though.

I'm undecided on whether to let the kids see the movie. Seeing intense things is different than reading about them.

Tara