Menu

I am *so* glad I finally read Liping Ma's book.

Dd5 is working through Singapore 1a right now. We are on Unit 6: addition and subtraction within 20. She mostly gets the concept and can easily solve problems with manipulatives.

But....

When she was partways through this unit, I read Ma's book. The chapter on subtraction with regrouping really astonished me - both the lack of decent instruction shown by many of the U.S. teachers, as well as the ease of teaching and thinking about the concept in a much deeper way. Most of the Chinese teachers agreed that subtraction with regrouping within 20 was the most fundamental subtraction skill to learn and that when teachers focus on this skill, and the student understands the concept thoroughly, more complex subtraction will be a breeze.

With this in mind, I decided to spend more time on the unit and give her time to really get the concept before we move on. The problems in her Singapore workbook weren't enough, and the mental math sheet was too intimidating. So I made up some problems for her like this:

7+6= ?

First we need to make a 10 with the 7.

I need to take __ ones from the 6 to make a 10 with the 7.

7+__=10

If I take those ones from the 6, how many ones are left?

6-__=__

Add those to the ten we made to get our answer.

10+__=__

So we did a few of these today, until she could fill in all the blanks on her own. Then we tried the mental math again. The problems look like this: 8+6=10+__. She looked at the first problem and said it was too hard. I agreed that it was hard and asked her to think about it for a minute before I helped her. So, she sat and looked at the problem for a long time. And then she smiled and told me the answer. She was right. I asked her how she knew. And she said "I made a ten in my head." :D:D:D She went on to finish the rest of the problems with a lot of thought and only a few mistakes.

I can't recommend Ma's book, or Singapore Math, enough. Today was a good teaching day. Thanks for letting me share. :001_smile:

I haven't read her book, but I have been using Singapore math since the beginning with my girls and it does absolutely amaze me how well they do with the mental math - well, all of it, but specifically being able to do the addition and subtraction in their head. I am one who NEVER learned any method, just memorize the facts please and I still catch myself making dots with my pencil when I'm adding large numbers. How silly is that? My dd asked me what I was doing one day and it was a little uncomfortable, since I was checking her math! :lol: It's very exciting for this math phobic mama to watch her children not only learn math, but to love it.

Biggest mistake I ever made - switching from Singapore when dd was bored with the number of problems. Should just have worked quickly through what she could do, and moved on. We are back on Singapore, and trying to make up for lost time. You have me thinking I should take some time off the books we're using to focus on mental maths...

I'd urge every math teacher (including home educators) to read this book.

If that happened it would transform math education.

Really? I think it would only set on fire those who are willing and able to be set on fire. As a regular tinderbox myself, one of the hard lessons in life was finding out there is a fair amount of soggy log out there, and then there is the highly varnished, who think being set on fire is terribly uncool.

Edited by kalanamak

Lovelearnandlive-do you also use the Home Instructor's Guides? I have been waffling on buying Ma's book for quite some time because I wasn't sure how much more helpful it would be if I'm already using the HIGs.

I will probably end up having to buy it when the new edition comes out! Another question-do we have any idea why they are updating the edition? Additional info, etc?

I honestly was happy to read how it changed your view/approach; I didn't find her book equivalent to, say, a home instructor's guide, because it was sort of hit-and-miss on various topics. I thought it was more a compelling argument for elementary math educators' having a thorough understanding of elementary math before teaching it. By the way, I am working my way through this book (Elementary Mathematics for Teachers (Parker and Baldridge)), which goes through the Singapore texts, although really just 3-6. I checked this out of my library (actually, I asked them to buy it!) Arithmetic for Parents by Ron Aharoni ($10 cheaper on the publisher's website); I think it targets earlier math more directly, but I am not sure quite how to describe the book. An interesting read, but not complete, somehow?

Edited by stripe

Lovelearnandlive-do you also use the Home Instructor's Guides? I have been waffling on buying Ma's book for quite some time because I wasn't sure how much more helpful it would be if I'm already using the HIGs.

I do use the HIGs. I usually go through all of the teaching activities pretty thoroughly as well. But, there is always the temptation to stop the activities when dd5 is able to do the problems correctly and move on, rather than dig deeper and help her make even more connections. For example in the HIG there are sections called "for reinforcement" that I would sometimes skip if it seemed that she could do the work fine after we had gone through the main activity. But sometimes in those sections they teach an alternate way of thinking about a problem, and now I am seeing that learning a variety of approaches to a problem helps make connections and helps them understand the topic even more deeply. So they are able to not only do the problem, but really have a profound understanding of how and why the math works. Also, in the HIG guide, they sometimes recommend not going forward from one concept to another until they have mastered the first (for example, don't try addition to 20 until they have completely mastered addition to 10). It would be easy to say "she's *almost* got it, I'm sure she'll pick it up as we go along." After reading the book I understand why they make these recommendations. And when I understand a recommendation I am more likely to follow it. :D

I am also encouraging her more to explain her thought processes to me. I'm not just satisfied with her giving me a correct answer to 5+8=13. I want to hear her explanation, and talk it through with her. Ma's book has motivated me to have more discussions about the "why" in math, rather than just learning the processes.

I honestly was happy to read how it changed your view/approach; I didn't find her book equivalent to, say, a home instructor's guide, because it was sort of hit-and-miss on various topics. I thought it was more a compelling argument for elementary math educators' having a thorough understanding of elementary math before teaching it. By the way, I am working my way through this book (Elementary Mathematics for Teachers (Parker and Baldridge)), which goes through the Singapore texts, although really just 3-6. I checked this out of my library (actually, I asked them to buy it!) Arithmetic for Parents by Ron Aharoni ($10 cheaper on the publisher's website); I think it targets earlier math more directly, but I am not sure quite how to describe the book. An interesting read, but not complete, somehow?

Thanks for sharing these titles, I am going to look into them. I wish Ma would write a book that included a thorough discussion on every elementary math topic! I think mostly the book taught me that I should expect dd5 to learn more from her math curriculum than just the ability to *do* the math. She has the ability to really *know* it, in the sense that a mathematician does, and I am excited to facilitate that (and learn along with her).

I'm not just satisfied with her giving me a correct answer to 5+8=13. I want to hear her explanation, and talk it through with her. Ma's book has motivated me to have more discussions about the "why" in math, rather than just learning the processes.

:iagree: I feel EXACTLY the same way.

I wish Ma would write a book that included a thorough discussion on every elementary math topic!

Me too.

Bill

So, if you wanted to achieve Ma's ideal examples, what text would you use to train yourself??? Link please!

My favorite resource to teach *me* the underlying concepts, so I have a "profound understanding of mathematics", is Professor Wu's prospective math for math teachers book; he has a couple of the draft chapters online, Whole Numbers and Fractions. I've found very enlightening - it really gives the whys behind arithmetic, in an accessible yet mathematically correct way.

My favorite resource to teach *me* the underlying concepts, so I have a "profound understanding of mathematics", is Professor Wu's prospective math for math teachers book; he has a couple of the draft chapters online, Whole Numbers and Fractions. I've found very enlightening - it really gives the whys behind arithmetic, in an accessible yet mathematically correct way.

Than you for the link. I have these downloaded and look forward to reading them.

Bill

Thank you! And in case anyone else is interested, here is a link to his website with a whole bunch of other great looking resources. I need more hours in my day. :D

• 1 month later...

Is Dr. Wu's book available anywhere or just these 2 chapters?