Menu

Write with the Best

We're half way through Vol 2 and it is intended to be a 1 semester course. My DD spends an average of 30 min per day on it - so I guess that would make it a 1/4 credit for a year in high school. The level of work is definitely worthy of an early high school level course. I'm not sure if Vol 1 is high school level as it's geared for 3-12 grades where Vol 2 is for 6-12 grades.

As a stand alone program? No. As part of a literature/grammar/vocabulary program? Probably.

My 6th/7th grade son is doing both volumes this year. Volume 1 is labeled grades 3-12th & Volume 2 is labeled grades 6-12th, but I would definitely not consider it a high school level program. It's a good overview for the different types of writing, but it has not been challenging at all for my middle son (he's done CW Aesop A&B, CW Homer A&B, & Poetry for Beg A&B). The assignments are very basic and not in-depth for a rhetoric level student.

In my opinion, this program alone will not prepare a student for college level writing. If you used it as an introduction and then progressed to another program, it might work. However, I would not give high school level credit for this course on a transcript if it was used as a stand alone program. YMMV...

Well, I have never seen Analytical Grammar or Greenleaf Press Ancient Literature, so I'm going to assume these programs are adequate for high school. Given that assumption, I would give one English credit for what you have outlined.

Of course, as homeschoolers, we can give credit for whatever we deem appropriate (at least we can here in Texas); however, I just wanted to let you know that, in my opinion, Write With the Best will not produce the writing skills necessary for college without following it up with another writing program and practicing those skills across different subjects throughout high school. With that said, I would not give credit for it as a stand alone program on a high school transcript.

HTH!

Edited by Beth in Central TX

Well, I'm no expert as I am in the same position you are, with a student entering 9th next year. I think what you have listed would be good for a 9th grade English credit. Just the thought of calling it high school scares me, but as others before us have said you have 4 years to prepare them for college work. They do not have to walk into 9th grade doing college level. What you have looks good. Good luck on your planning!

Blessings,

Pat