Menu

Writing Programs for the kid who HATES writing?

Alenee

I'm sampling WT right now and my dd9 spent a total of 3 hours (over two days) writing her rough draft. She's a good kid and didn't complain but how she felt was written all over her face. I think for her, it's a matter of both the lengthy pencil-in-hand time as well as trying to have an original thought. I only got on board with TWTM two weeks ago and see that I should have been doing more history/reading together, as well as copy work.

Will this naturally get easier for her as she does more writing?

What programs have worked for those of you with kids like mine?

I think right now, IEW is just not MY speed. I like scripted TM's. WT looks like a gentler approach to the same model...am I correct in thinking that?

I don't think I'm sold yet on WT so let me hear your opinions!

dd8 is the same way, grumble, grumble, grumble- we use CW Aesop, which I love & believe is like WT, in CW they study a story and rewrite it, she grumbled when we started & grumbled in between and every now and then grumbles more- but after 1.5 yrs (we take 2 wks/lesson & use R&S), creative pieces of her own have magically started appearing (last fall). I was shocked and pleased. Still shocked.

My point is I don't think the grumbling is odd in this subject area. Some parents let dc type if they are objecting to the handwriting. You might want to give it more time so she can get used to the routine.

BTW we borrowed a copy of WS before starting CW and she grumbled about actually having to write AND complained, 'what do I say?' dd also grumbles about math & narrations.

my ds at 9yo was more resistant to writing than yours seems to be. If she's compliant, i would continue and give her copywork to increase her physical stamina for writing. Very short sentences at first, leading up to longer sentences, progressing to short paragraphs, etc etc.

The focus should be on letter formation and accuracy, not speed :-)

You can even let her pick from a few well-structured sentences, or let her pick the book and you find a quality sentence to copy.

i had to back off almost totally. i was doing good to get 2 sentences a day out of him then!!

5th grade was three sentences a day of either copywork or creative sentences.

In 6th grade we used Wordsmith Apprentice, cut into even smaller chunks.

In 7th he started typing a BOOK and managed about 30 pages in a Microsoft document :eek: {{yay!}}

We're using Writeshop now for 8th and into 9th.

he has always been a voracious reader, has nice penmanship [just hates to USE it], and has excellent oral grammar skills. I wasn't too concerned about his writing --i hedged my bets that he'd pick it up soon enough and be great at it.

he is :-)

he still doesn't LIKE it too much, but he can get an assignment completed now w/o hitting the roof.

good luck!

good luck!

Of course, he doesn't do "too" much of it each day. I can't tell you how effective it actually is/will be b/c he is really just starting. Personally, and take this FWIW...I don't *like* it. It just doesn't seem like it's going anywhere? Perhaps other Wordsmith App/Wordsmith users have seen a diff. in their dc writing after using the program for a longer period of time. I'm going to stick it out a bit longer and then go to WT2 b/c I see more "merit" in using that program than WA. Also, what I must remind myself, is that even SWB doesn't think a writing "program" is at all necessary until 6th grade. Just copywork, dictation, outlining beg. in 5th (simple keyword outlines) but no original work is necessary. It does, however, sound like your dd is just adverse to the mechanics of writing...not the actual thought processes involved, KWIM? My ds9 is the SAME way and we let him type up his rough drafts. He does enough actual pen-in-hand work each day. Just a thought.

I also allow him to add clip art to his final copy, this is a motivator for him.

ooh! I like that idea!

I've been wanting to move towards letting ds type his final report. I still want him using the ol' pencil cuz I think he needs the character building, lol, but i like the clip art idea.....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest stephblack1

I'm looking into 4th grade curriculum for the fall. We are currently using the Rod and Staff grammar for 3rd grade (LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!) but are considering switching to Susan Bauer's First Lessons in Language. We are also using Writing Strands (not so much love there) and are considering a switch to Writeshop. Any comments about First Lessons or Writeshop?:bigear: