Menu

How often do you accomplish everything you planned for your homeschool day?

How often do you accomplish all that you'd hoped to in your homeschool day?  

1. 1. How often do you accomplish all that you'd hoped to in your homeschool day?

• 95-100% We almost always get everything done that I'd hoped we would.
    • 75% or more.
    • 50% About half the time, we finish everything I'd hoped.
    • I'm totally unsatisfied and depressed about how little we get done in comparison to my expectations.
    • Other

I'm just wondering...

Between my 5 dc, I was trying to estimate just how often I feel we've accomplished all of the schoolwork I'd hoped we would.

How's that going for you?

(Remember folks, the poll is anonymous. Feel free to tell the hard, unvarnished truth!)

Edited by Julie in CA

A couple of years ago I would say we finish our complete schedule for a day maybe 50% of the time. I was so disappointed with me and us. For about the last year I'd say we consistently get 80 - 100% of our school finished 100% of the days. If there is a day we do not finish what was planned it was for a satisfactory reason that I don't feel badly about. It feels so good to be so on track. It was SO frustrating and depressing. I was beginning to wonder if ps would be better.

You know, the turn around for me was when my friend who (insanely) decided to go back to school and get her master's in early education and teach. She needed to find someone with children who would let her do a practice run on giving standardized tests. She did it with our two big guys and they scored slightly and massively above grade level in everything. That actually inspired me to get on track.

You never know what will do it. :)

I chose less than 50% BUT I am not depressed over it...because I always FINISH what I need to finish...BUT I never do it in the time I think I will. I always plan out 170 days for school work and 10 days for catch-up...180 days...BUT it takes me about 250 days to complete it all...

So, even though I chose less than 50%, that is only for 180 days....We do 100% done most of the time...just in a longer amount of time (unless I drop a book and add in another...and that is a whole 'nother can of worms!

~~Faithe

I'd say 85-90% of the time we complete my goal. Often it's because I've planned to much work and we have to cut something out. This is our best year yet, even though I wasn't ready to start back after the holidays. The kids have all jumped developmentally and are able to understand the work with a mostly good attitude. My 4th grade dawdler/drama queen is a challenge still. Too bad for her that I've done this 3 times already and am not easily manipulated. :)

I'm just wondering...

Between my 5 dc, I was trying to estimate just how often I feel we've accomplished all of the schoolwork I'd hoped we would.

(Remember folks, the poll is anonymous. Feel free to tell the hard, unvarnished truth!)

I voted 95 -100% because I've been doing this a while now, and I finally learned to plan realistically instead of wistfully.

I voted 95 -100% because I've been doing this a while now, and I finally learned to plan realistically instead of wistfully.

:iagree:

I have learned now that some things we just don't get accomplished - and have finally decided that, you know, it's okay if I don't do art appreciation this year. Or what have you. Life is much smoother this way.

:iagree:

I have learned now that some things we just don't get accomplished - and have finally decided that, you know, it's okay if I don't do art appreciation this year. Or what have you. Life is much smoother this way.

Exactly! You have to prioritize carefully, and schedule as your reality allows.

That said ... we still do art and music, but I don't stick it in there everyday.

If you can keep an appalling secret, I'll even admit that sometimes I don't schedule it at all. We just do it on the weekend as an extra fun activity that (*gasp*!) I don't even test on.

In the past, I got a much smaller percentage finished. What helped is having realistic expectations of what we can get done and going with that. My kids don't like hands-on projects, but I always felt like we should be doing them. However, I don't like doing them, so I finally decided they should be dropped.

Dropping things that were "extras" that never got done anyway is very freeing. I am thrilled with how our school year is going this year.

I should also say that I have a DS who procrastinates and is often finishing up several days' worth of work on Friday. He gets it done, though, even if it's not done until the weekend. That's what I mean by the 75%/95% comment.

Edited by Rhonda in TX

I put 50% of the time. The truth is that it is always the same two things that get pushed to the back burner - Fine Arts and Church History/Worldview. We use TOG and my ds prefers to spend a week at the end of each unit focusing on nothing but arts/crafts and planning for our unit celebration, rather than crafting weekly, but I still write it into his schedule every week. Why? I don't know.

And church history...the book we are using is good, I've grown to appreciate it, but the weekly reading assignments are completely overwhelming. I'm an all or nothing kind of gal, and most of the time I know we won't finish the reading by the end of the week so we don't even get started. Pathetic!

I put 75%, but I think if there were another choice between that and 95%, I would have chosen that. This year is the first in which I am school 5 of the 6 kiddos, and remarkably, this has been our best year yet for staying on task, and getting all the things done that I had hoped. I guess I am just not working up to capacity unless I am totally overwhelmed! :tongue_smilie:

I'm just wondering...

I answered 95%, BUT this is our 9th year homeschooling, and it's the first year that this has happened. It's taken me this long to figure out what we're all capable of, and how to organize things in a way that will make sure everyone knows what's expected. Plus, my kids are old enough to take responsibility of a lot of it themselves. It feels good, but it's taken quite a long time to figure it all out.