Menu

Circumcision: a straightforward question, NOT a debate

My husband was not circumcised when we got married, but later contracted an infection in the foreskin and had to be circumcised as an adult. NOT fun for him. He was also teased for being uncircumcized throughout his life b/c it's uncommon. I'm having a baby boy next week and we're definitely circumcising him.

Edited by hmsmith

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does one find a mohel? Are they used to performing circumcisions on non-Jewish babies, and do they use pain relief, or only if they are also doctors (there seems to be one such person somewhere near me)?

Honestly, I don't know. I never had to approach the issue as a non-Jewish person, and I have always found reasons not to attend any brit to which I have been invited. If you have any local friends who attend a shul of any sort, start by asking there.

On the day after ds was born, they took him to the pediatrician. They put topical anesthetic on him, and put the ring device on. He was a little purple at the tip when we took him home later that day, but was never bothered in the least. The ring fell off in a couple days, if I remember correctly.

This is our experience for all three ds.

I have also observed 2 circumcisions during my rotation in nursing school and to my surprise (really! I was expecting it to hurt a lot.) it did not seem to hurt the babies at all. They screamed as soon as they were restrained and stopped as soon as they were released. In fact both boys didn't let out a peep afterwards.

My own son did show some slight discomfort the following day, but I am not sure how much. He was in huge discomfort from gas, so it could have all been gas for all I know. Otherwise he had no problems.

My son had it done the 2nd day. The told me they wouldn't do it without pain meds put on it first. I am pretty sure neither of us watched. They quickly took him across the hallway. I don't remember hearing him. Dh didn't want to watch and I was in pain that day...

But he didn't cry about it long if he did at all. It's not in the scrapbook as a big deal(my memory isn't so clear 8 years later!)

My first 4 are all boys and all circ'd, as is my dh. He watched the procedure for several of them (I know he didn't for the first one, but I think for the rest). Topical anesthesia was used on the last few, but I don't think on the first (my memory is fuzzy). My dh said that as soon as the boys were restrained they cried, and as soon as they were released, they stopped, so I don't think it had anything to do with the procedure. They all healed with no problems and no trauma whatsoever. I will do it for any boys we have in the future. I am thankful that SO FAR in this country it is still considered an area of parental choice, and I fervently hope that it will continue to be so.

I was just wondering, about people who have their boys circumcized, if you don't mind sharing how it actually happens, as in when did you get it done, did you watch it happening, did both parents want to do it, etc? Don't answer if you'd rather not - I am just curious/nosy, and thought maybe here would be a place to find out since I don't know anybody irl (or on other forums I visit) who would have it done.

It was done the day they were born or the morning after depending on the time they were born. No, we did not watch it done. Both of us were on board as DH is circumsized as well.

I will say this much it is very painful to an adolescent boy to have to have the procedure done b/c of infection. My mom's brother had to have it done at around 13 b/c of an infection and she said it was really hard on him. So that really helped me with the decision.

My ex dh initially was adament that ds get circ'd when we found out we were having a boy. I was totally against it but went with " father knows best". Well Ds ended up being born premature and had some breathing issues that left him in the NICU for 7 days and on meds to remind him to breath for 4 months. The ped recommended waiting until ds was bigger and stronger (he was only 4lbs 15 oz at birth), before putting him through it. We ended up not ever getting it done. When he was 4 he started having issues with infections, the first due to chicken pox sores under the foreskin, but then he kept getting them. The ped thought we would have to get it done and sent us to a urologist, turns out he has 2 issues with his foreskin, 1 being that it is extremely long, the other that it is too tight. His foreskin does not retract without extreme force, so cleaning it was impossible, and it was causing small amounts of urine to pool (his foreskin would swell with urine then drain when he went to the bathroom). THe urologist decided against a circ at that point, he did use a tool to stretch the opening of the foreskin a little. This stopped all infections as now all urine drains. He is still unretractable at 11.5 yrs old. When he is a teenager he has a couple options that he can discuss with the urologist, 1- would be to have a small snip cut in the foreskin to make the opening big enough to retractm, 2- allow the opening to stretch and tear on it's own through umm, self pleasure or 3- choose to have a circ at that time.

I opted not to have my 2nd ds done despite the issues with ds1 and he has never had any issues.

I did not go in with my nephew, but saw him about 2 hours after his procedure and saw how sore he looked during the diaper change. It looked so painful and he would scream bloody murder when ever they changed the gauze. (I know most newborns cry while being changed, this was different). It made me so happy that I did not put my boys through that.

My ds6 thanked me about a week ago for not having him circ'd. I was giving my nephew and my dd2 a bath together and ds walked in. This led to lots of questions about why nephew's parts looked different, and about circ. Ds gave me a big hug and said thank you for not doing that to him.

It is perfectly normal for a boy to be unretractable until the teens years. I've talked to other moms with uncircumcised boys, and all the boy's foreskins do the pee swelling thing. That's just how it works. There is nothing not normal about that. It sounds like your urologist had no idea what he was doing. In some parts of the country circumcision rates are still over 90 percent and some urologists in those areas, especially ones who were educated years ago, still have no idea what to do with an uncircumcised boy.

Did anyone ever try to retract his foreskin before the infections started? That's what causes young boys issues with infection generally at that age. Someone who doesn't know what they are doing tries to retract it to clean under it before it's time. That story is irritatingly common. :( Every provider I've been to has said "Don't EVER retract it." which is lovely and a relief as a mother. I've been lucky to live in areas where circumcision is not the norm. Once it retracts naturally, then you start to rinse it off in the shower.

Edited by Sputterduck

My husband was not circumcised when we got married, but later contracted an infection in the foreskin and had to be circumcised as an adult. NOT fun for him. He was also teased for being uncircumcized throughout his life b/c it's uncommon. I'm having a baby boy next week and we're definitely circumcising him.

It's not uncommon anymore. The rate in the U.S. is down to 50 percent and only 40 percent here in California. There are small pockets in the US though where it is still above 90 percent.

Eliana, I appreciate your perspective and love the glimpse you've given us into your life. It is very special reading about the procedure and ceremony from a religious standpoint. BTW, I wanted to use the name "Yehuda" for my ds#2 as a middle name - but I was overruled. I love the name. Congratulations on his birth.

Our first son was circumcised around 24 hours old, by the OBGYN, in the hospital and my husband witnessed it. From what I hear he almost fainted.

Our second was done under all the same circumstances except my OBGYN for that birth would not allow anyone to be present.

We will be having the new baby circumcised also.

We were both in agreement about having the boys circumcised, but initially I left it up to my husband because at the time of the first baby's birth I really didn't know much about it. I figured, he has the parts, that makes him more knowledgeable than me. I now know more about circumcision and still feel that it's the right decision for our boys.

With my first and third, it was done by his ped doctor the day that we went home. It was done while he was in the nursery and the doctors did their rounds.

My second had a low platelet count so we decided to wait. He was a month old when we did another blood test and the platelets were up. I took him to the nursery at the hospital and I stayed in a nursing room while they took him to the nursery for the doctor rounds.

Because I have a low platelet count while pregnant and there is a chance that what causes my count to be low can occur in my babies (as with my 2nd), my babies are blood tested before a circ. There was some kind of mix-up with the doctors, my husband had to go home to a sick child, and I was out of it due to some problems. Anyway the blood test didn't get done but the peds doctor (on call) wanted to do the circ anyway. I refused so we took him back to the hospital at his two week checkup and followed the same procedure as with my 2nd.

With my 1st and 2nd, I wanted it done as well as my husband. With the younger two, I wouldn't have had it done if my husband didn't want it. He had an adult friend who had a lot of horrible problems as a result of not being circ'ed and he eventually had to be circ'ed as an adult. That experience didn't go well either. He was out of work and in a lot of pain for months. That was the main reason for my husband's insistence.

We didn't have any problems with our boys'. Within a week or so, they were fine and could be bathed.

Honestly, I don't know. I never had to approach the issue as a non-Jewish person, and I have always found reasons not to attend any brit to which I have been invited. If you have any local friends who attend a shul of any sort, start by asking there.

Maybe call local midwives and ask. Oh look...I googled and came up with this website: http://www.mohelusa.com/! :001_smile:

I have three sons.

One was a "partial circ" (did not know they would do it this way at the time), they did nothing for the pain, my child went into a "sleep coma"...slept for 2-3 days straight, only waking screaming from nightmares (he was 6mos as they refused to do it right after birth), and would only let me hold him. Because of the retraction, we dealt with infections for the next 4-6yrs. He's a teen and finally doing fine.

One is full circ. No problems, except I wish we had not done it. They took him and brought him back.

The third son is not circ'd at all as I finally was educated on BOTH sides of the topic as well as watched several circ videos. Since it's not a mitzvah for us, no religious issue. He's perfectly healthy, has a fairly long foreskin, and no infections because we do not retract. He's almost two.

It is perfectly normal for a boy to be unretractable until the teens years. I've talked to other moms with uncircumcised boys, and all the boy's foreskins do the pee swelling thing. That's just how it works. There is nothing not normal about that. It sounds like your urologist had no idea what he was doing. In some parts of the country circumcision rates are still over 90 percent and some urologists in those areas, especially ones who were educated years ago, still have no idea what to do with an uncircumcised boy.

Did anyone ever try to retract his foreskin before the infections started? That's what causes young boys issues with infection generally at that age. Someone who doesn't know what they are doing tries to retract it to clean under it before it's time. That story is irritatingly common. :( Every provider I've been to has said "Don't EVER retract it." which is lovely and a relief as a mother. I've been lucky to live in areas where circumcision is not the norm. Once it retracts naturally, then you start to rinse it off in the shower.

No one tried to retract his foreskin before the infections. They started when he got chicken pox, and had gotten some sores under the foreskin. beyond the ped trying to retract it to check the infections (he never managed to btw), he has never been retracted. The urologist stretched the opening like I said (it was very small and almost on the underside of the glans, due to so much extra skin), but did not retract him. Ds6 has retracted and is learning to keep himself clean but ds11 still isn't. When the day comes if he is still unretractable in teen years due to the tightness of the opening, he can make the decision himself about what is to be done, until then we leave his parts his own. After the urologist streched the opening a little, he never had another infection. WHile the foreskin ballooning and then draining is normal, his never properly drained because the opening was too tight, up until the pox it never caused a problem. After chicken pox though he had 4 infections in a 6 month period. It has been almost 7 years since then and there have been no other issues, so I am sure that with time the rest will resolve on it's own too, but if it doesn't, the options are there to talk to the urologist about.

I'm interested in knowing more. Do you feel that this was due to better skill on the part of the circumciser or technique or...what? And mohels normally don't use anesthetic, correct (besides wine)?

Have any of you "shopped around" in order to find a person who will use a particular technique? (Is that weird?)

*I* simply liked the homier feel of it. But that kinda comes with liking the whole homebirth thing, i think. ;) As a Christian, I do appreciate the Jewish link, and since we have scientific evidence about the health at 8 days old that jives w/ Biblical accounts it makes sense in fact and faith to adopt that as a guideline.

I have not "shopped around" - the first was in the hospital, the second was in the pediatrician's office, and the third was at a house, recommended by a midwife.

Mine isn't circumcized, but if I did have it done to a child, I'd go this way. Mohels cut off less than American doctors, baby's blood clots better at 8 days, and they aren't stripped from loved ones and strapped spread eagle to a board. Much kinder to a new babe.

that has not been our experience: can't tell the difference cosmetically between the three boys, and I was NOT holding ds during any of the circumcisions.

Just say no to ritual infant mutilation.

aw, what the heck.

go ahead and say yes. :D

I know we don't agree about circumcision, but we don't agree about vaccinations, either, & we never argue that vacc's are too *painful* or that we're stabbing our babies or anything else quite so inflammatory.

*gasp*-- inflammatory!??! say it ain't so.....

I understand that we each have preferences and opinions... how nice it would be to not call names about it, like mutilation... that seems to cross a line and violate my religious conviction.

wha-??? now you're gonna accuse people who call a specific medical procedure names of crossing lines? :tongue_smilie:

actually, i think it was SpyCar who pointed out that using a negative term for an issue that has a more correct name basically says more about the name-caller than it does about the procedure. ;)

so which Board Rule do you think it violates?

Be humble

Post your opinions and your experiences, but remember that other families may have different experiences than yours and may reason their way with impeccable logic to different conclusions. Posts which "lay down the law" may be deleted.

Be civil

Don't attack another poster's background, religious convictions, experience, or parenting style. Above all, resist the one-liner subject-header put-down. Nasty cracks will be deleted.

or this one:

Do not assume that everyone on the boards shares a particular religious conviction

These boards are inclusive. You are welcome to ask theological questions, but don't post as though everyone who frequents the boards shares your ideology. Offending posts may be deleted. Don't use inquiries as an excuse to proselytize for anything. Answer questions that are posted but don't use these questions as an excuse to springboard into criticism.

.... a piece of himself he will someday have cause to miss on a regular basis, that he can never get back; he has to forever live with the knowledge that his parents marred his sex life.

those aren't necessarily default results.

I am thankful that SO FAR in this country it is still considered an area of parental choice, and I fervently hope that it will continue to be so.

yeah... I find it ironic that a circumcision is considered mutilation and an abortion is considered a right. I've "educated" myself on the effect both have on a human and see a drastic difference. Go figger.

:iagree: none of mine are circumcised. I remember getting some information from the health nurse when the oldest was a boy, basically saying to never try retracting it. just give hem a bath and it cleans itself. my boys also have the swelling thing when weeing. it is completely normal. I have never done any special cleaning of them when they were younger, just put them in the bath every second day, just as I would treat a girl. mostly those parts of the body are self cleaning anyway.

*I* simply liked the homier feel of it. But that kinda comes with liking the whole homebirth thing, i think.

Thank you! I appreciate hearing everyone's experience.

(I personally always laugh at the assumption that everyone all over the world is circumcised at birth. Considering the one who started it did it for himself at age 99. There are plenty of men who remember being circumcised and are glad they were.)

I sort of figured many midwives are anti-circumcision. Judging from the issues of "Mothering" magazine in the waiting room etc. So I wasn't sure they would particularly know about non-pediatrician/urologists who do circumcisions, but maybe I was wrong!

Just a little bit off. ;)

IMO a good midwife will help direct parents-to-be to evidence-based information. With that in hand it is up to the parents to make the best decision for their child(ren). I am anti-circ. My midwifery partner is not. When we have clients ask us about our thoughts and what we decided personally, we do tell them but we also make it known that it is their decision to make.

Yes, there are many midwives against things like circumcision, vaccinations, bottle feeding, and shaving (:tongue_smilie:). A lot of that comes from the whole natural approach midwives have and that we should not interfere unless medically indicated. But even with personal convictions and/or opinions, it's not our job to shove it down our client's throats (and there are some mw's who do...I know of some midwives who won't take clients who are planning to bottlefeed!). Just like it's not our job to talk every expecting woman into a home birth.

Edited by Heather in OK

Yes, there are many midwives against things like circumcision, vaccinations, bottle feeding, and shaving (:tongue_smilie:).

! Shaving! Ha.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude; I just seem to encounter midwives (or maybe it's doulas!) who talk about not wanting to even have clients who will circumcise. Anyway I didn't mean to offend.

To lighten the mood, here's a funny article I just found about searching for the right person to circumcise one's son: America's Next Top Mohel.

wha-??? now you're gonna accuse people who call a specific medical procedure names of crossing lines? :tongue_smilie:

actually, i think it was SpyCar who pointed out that using a negative term for an issue that has a more correct name basically says more about the name-caller than it does about the procedure. ;)

so which Board Rule do you think it violates?

Be humble

Post your opinions and your experiences, but remember that other families may have different experiences than yours and may reason their way with impeccable logic to different conclusions. Posts which "lay down the law" may be deleted.

Be civil

Don't attack another poster's background, religious convictions, experience, or parenting style. Above all, resist the one-liner subject-header put-down. Nasty cracks will be deleted.

or this one:

Do not assume that everyone on the boards shares a particular religious conviction

These boards are inclusive. You are welcome to ask theological questions, but don't post as though everyone who frequents the boards shares your ideology. Offending posts may be deleted. Don't use inquiries as an excuse to proselytize for anything. Answer questions that are posted but don't use these questions as an excuse to springboard into criticism.

those aren't necessarily default results.

yeah... I find it ironic that a circumcision is considered mutilation and an abortion is considered a right. I've "educated" myself on the effect both have on a human and see a drastic difference. Go figger.

:thumbup::hurray: You GO Peek!!! Keep speaking the truth!!

Edited by Texas T

It is perfectly normal for a boy to be unretractable until the teens years. I've talked to other moms with uncircumcised boys, and all the boy's foreskins do the pee swelling thing. That's just how it works. s naturally, then you start to rinse it off in the shower.

Yes and there is also a steroid cream you can use to help if he gets into his teens still unretractable. It usually works fine and you don't need to cut.

I sat with my newborn (1-day-old) nephew because my sister was too chicken to go. It was awful enough that when my own son was born I didn't even consider it. The child was not anesthetized. They stuck a pacifier in his mouth and restrained him in a baby-seat. When they started cutting him, he started to scream. His face turned purple and he couldn't catch his breath from screaming and shrieking. He screamed for another five minutes after it was over. The nurse said he didn't feel a thing, that he was just being fussy because he was restrained.

Just say no to ritual infant mutilation.

Yikes! Seems like the Jewish people have a better handle on this when they perform this ritual.

My ds was not circumsized. Dh couldn't have cared less and I felt the same way.

Edited by Liz CA

I'm seriously not TRYING to turn this into a debate, but there is something I absolutely have never understood. Why do doctors automatically circ an older boy if he gets infections? There is really nothing else that can be done? If a girl gets infections down there (which they certainly do), they don't start cutting things off. Why do they do that with boys? Unless there is something I'm not understanding about those parts (I don't have those parts, so that is possible).

I think it's a lack of education on the doctors part with regards to intact children. Both my boys have had an infection (one each) and no one suggested cutting it off, just cream and ABs. That's the difference between a culture that views cut as the norm and one that views intact as the norm I guess. As more kids in the US are intact then more docs will be educated.

I'm seriously not TRYING to turn this into a debate, but there is something I absolutely have never understood. Why do doctors automatically circ an older boy if he gets infections? There is really nothing else that can be done? If a girl gets infections down there (which they certainly do), they don't start cutting things off. Why do they do that with boys? Unless there is something I'm not understanding about those parts (I don't have those parts, so that is possible).

If you cut all the labia off, you would virtually eliminate infections! Oh... that would be barbaric though... because cutting parts off of a girl would be wrong. Apparently it's okay to cut parts off of boys though.

This makes me feel better and I will keep it in mind. My boys are both intact. I always worry that someday some doctor will tell me I have to have them cut.

There's a good chance that that will happen some day from what I've heard from friends in the US with intact children. The thing is as a parent to be clued up as to what does and doesn't require a circ (there are very very very very few conditions that require a circ) and be an advocate for your children. Also ask around and find a doctor who is familiar and properly educated about the intact penis. There are still a few here that are likely to chop it off instead of treating the issue.

My son was circumcised on his second day by my wife's wonderful gynecologist in the hospital. He was very experienced with circumcision (Jewish doctor in a Jewish hospital).

He applied a both a topical anesthetic and (once the topical took effect) also used a a series of small injections of local anesthetic. The foreskin was held in place by a "Morgen clamp" (a specialized device that largely eliminates complications).

There was absolutely no reaction from my son when the procedure took place. No crying, not trauma, not even a wince. Nothing. A pure non-event.

I favor circumcision for a host of reason, however, I would only consider doing this procedure with an experienced physician who utilized the most pain-free, humane, and safe methods.

Done properly this is a simple and pain-less procedure that brings a life-time of benefits.

Bill

My son was circumcised on his second day by my wife's wonderful gynecologist in the hospital. He was very experienced with circumcision (Jewish doctor in a Jewish hospital).

He applied a both a topical anesthetic and (once the topical took effect) also used a a series of small injections of local anesthetic. The foreskin was held in place by a "Morgen clamp" (a specialized device that largely eliminates complications).

There was absolutely no reaction from my son when the procedure took place. No crying, not trauma, not even a wince. Nothing. A pure non-event.

I favor circumcision for a host of reason, however, I would only consider doing this procedure with an experienced physician who utilized the most pain-free, humane, and safe methods.

Done properly this is a simple and pain-less procedure that brings a life-time of benefits.

Bill

You're lucky. Last time I researched this, which was about 5 years ago, most circumcisions in the US were still done with zero anesthesia. The AAP has been trying to fix that, which I think is great. Another problem has been that the topical cream used for some circumcisions take an hour to be at full effect, and many babies are brought in given the cream and cut within a few minutes which basically means there was little or no pain relief.

How do you find this out beforehand? Does one solicit details from doctors on what methods they use, for example?

I knew our doctor (my wife's ob/gyn) I came to trust him implicitly, yet I did take the time prior to my son's birth to discuss the manner and methods he used to perform circumcisions, and was more than satisfied with his answers.

And when the circumcision took place I thought this was a "model" procedure.

Bill

My first son was done using the Plastibell method...the one wiht the ring that eventually dries off and falls off like the umbilival cord. No crying, no fuss, nada.

Tazzie was in the OB's office. He screamed the moment he was strapped down, I was with him til that point, and lurked outside the room so I could rush in the

Just moment it was done. I nursed him immediately after, an after that, it was never a source of pain for him. He never complained or cried once about it.

I left the circ decision completely up to dh. He has a penis, an if he had any regrets about being circd, this was his chance to change it for his son. He was admanment about it being of it being dome. so ot was.

Just like any other parenting choice, Circing a baby if iis a very personal decision.

You're lucky. Last time I researched this, which was about 5 years ago, most circumcisions in the US were still done with zero anesthesia. The AAP has been trying to fix that, which I think is great. Another problem has been that the topical cream used for some circumcisions take an hour to be at full effect, and many babies are brought in given the cream and cut within a few minutes which basically means there was little or no pain relief.

The thought that a physician might perform a circumcision without anesthesia enrages me. It's not difficult to take proper measures, and not doing so is inexcusable. Grrrr!

Bill

! Shaving! Ha.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude; I just seem to encounter midwives (or maybe it's doulas!) who talk about not wanting to even have clients who will circumcise. Anyway I didn't mean to offend.

I didn't take it as being rude. :) It's a very valid question b/c I know those midwives and doulas are out there (including doulas who will refuse clients who leave the option open for an epidural or those who actually leave a birth if the client gets and epidural!). ;) I just said that IMO a *good* midwife will not be pushy about her personal beliefs but help support her clients in making decisions that are right for them.

How do you find this out beforehand? Does one solicit details from doctors on what methods they use, for example?

It is your baby, and the procedure is done at YOUR request. It is NOT up to them how it is done. YOU decide. If they refuse, find someone else to do it. I find it outrageously shocking that there are doctors who refuse to allow parents to attend! If it's "not a big deal," then there should be nothing to hide.

The foreskin is attached to the penis in the same way that the fingernails are attached to the fingers. The foreskin is cut through, aka, they are cutting through live tissue. If you would undergo a procedure such as this and expect no pain, or would only put on some topical numbing agent to deal with the pain, then by all means, don't worry about it (general statement, not directed at anyone specific).

Oh, Peek. Your point is sad, but true. So many aren't considering the rights of those precious unborn babies. I don't get it either.

The thought that a physician might perform a circumcision without anesthesia enrages me. It's not difficult to take proper measures, and not doing so is inexcusable. Grrrr!

I'm sure you're familiar with the old belief that babies don't feel pain. This is just leftover bullsh*t from that time period. And anyway, they won't remember the pain, so it doesn't count, right? ;)

I'm sure you're familiar with the old belief that babies don't feel pain. This is just leftover bullsh*t from that time period. And anyway, they won't remember the pain, so it doesn't count, right? ;)

No, I'm not familiar with any old beliefs that babies don't feel pain. Such a belief is asinine.

That said, a properly performed circumcision with topical followed by local anesthesia is a pain-free procedure. That's the standard of care that should be met.

Bill

No, I'm not familiar with any old beliefs that babies don't feel pain. Such a belief is asinine.

That said, a properly performed circumcision with topical followed by local anesthesia is a pain-free procedure. That's the standard of care that should be met.

Bill

I agree with you entirely that such a belief is asinine--however, I believe the PP is correct in asserting that it was a widely held belief in medical circles for a LONG time; and that the unanesthetized circumcision is a remnant of that belief.:)

I agree with you entirely that such a belief is asinine--however, I believe the PP is correct in asserting that it was a widely held belief in medical circles for a LONG time; and that the unanesthetized circumcision is a remnant of that belief.:)

And I'm saying I won't defend the indefensible, which in my mind includes a physician performing circumcision without anesthesia.

But I also know that with the benefit of topical and local anesthesia that this procedure is pain-free, and not traumatic in the least. So parents who plan on circumcision (which is a very good move as far as I'm concerned) ought to demand the procedure be done humanely, and that doctors have a burden to do the same with or without an informed parent demanding such.

Dentists don't drill teeth without anesthesia, and a physician should not do a circumcision without anesthesia. Simple.

Bill

I'm sure you noticed all the doctors who told people in this very thread that the baby was only crying because it was cold, or because it didn't like to be held down, or the doctors who refused to allow parents in the room during the procedure. :001_huh:

I would NEVER just have my son done. I told my husband that if he wanted my son done... he could watch one first... and then decide. He decided "No" because he wasn't that into whether it was done or not. If you have a child that kinda just "falls asleep" I've heard it's stress related. Makes sense... it's what people's bodies do... when they are in extreme pain.

Also, an interesting note, there are different lengths of circumcision. If I was going to have it done, I would have just the tip done.. and not make it too drastic. Of course, I would hope that this makes it so they wouldn't have to rip the foreskin away so much.... I babysat a little boy who was circ'd and I looked and couldn't quite even tell if he was cir'd... but sure enough... as he aged... he looks circ'd but isn't cut too close.

Not sure if that makes sense... but... if you're gonna do circ'ing... it's an idea to ask for a "long cut"...

:-)