Menu

Any thoughts or leads for AP level home Art History course?

Could you clue us in on what you have examined so far? The College Board website? Proposed syllabi that teachers have placed online?

One problem that I would have doing this course at home is that no school near me offers it. Hence I have no idea where my son could take the exam. Have you investigated this issue?

You don't have to be enrolled in school to take any of the AP exams. You sign up for the exams, as you would PSAT or SAT, through the CollegeBoard website. You would take the exam at your closet exam site. You show up with picture ID on your assigned date and take the test(s).

Is this what you mean?

The CollegeBoard website also lists various books and study guides.

While you do not have to be enrolled at a particular school to take an AP exam, the school must agree to give your student the exam. Some schools will not give exams to outside students.

One of the public schools in my area has been very accommodating. Nonetheless, my son is limited to taking AP exams that they are giving to their students. I believe that they offer six or seven AP courses. These are the only exams they will allow my son to take--with one exception. My son is enrolled in an AP course through the North Carolina Virtual Public School. The same accommodating counselor at the high school jumped through the hoops to enroll my son in the course. He will be the only person at this high school taking that particular AP exam, but he takes it not as a homeschooled student but as a NC Virtual student.

Perhaps you live in an urban area where there are a number of schools who open their doors to homeschoolers. Be forewarned: others on this board have had difficulty finding exam sites. You may be luckier than some of our WTM colleagues.

Further, while it is easy for homeschoolers to register for the SAT, you register for the PSAT through a high school--not the College Board. Unless the policy has changed in the last year.

Jane

Yes, the hsers here can take almost all the tests at the schools. We've signed up in the past through the CollegeBoard website and used our local school code.

I don't know how it works in your part of NC, admittedly. It seems it's pretty limited, which must be frustrating.

Edited by LibraryLover

I have no specific recommendations; however, I see that the PA Homeschoolers AP Art History class uses Gardner's Art Through the Ages.

If you Google the following -- "ap art history" syllabus -- you will receive over 2000 hits. Perhaps a little browsing there will help you locate an appropriate syllabus.

Edited to add -- Here's an older thread that might prove helpful: AP Art History???

and another: Art History ...

Regards,

Kareni

Edited by Kareni